• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Even if it's only a misdemeanor, a conviction would cause him the loss of his right to own a firearm. Even if he only got a year, he'd be toast as the law says if the punishment COULD be two years or more, he'd be toast.

I never insinuated that was the point of your post. If I did, I apologize.

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    LOL don't get me wrong I have plenty of my own . I just wanted to use his 6.8spc. Without having to take a 4 hr drive every time

If you want to use his 6.8 rifle and he's willing to loan it to you, why doesn't he just lend you his upper? Doesn't it fit on a standard lower? You should be legal in any configuration if you have a pre-oct lower.

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    Even if it's only a misdemeanor, a conviction would cause him the loss of his right to own a firearm. Even if he only got a year, he'd be toast as the law says if the punishment COULD be two years or more, he'd be toast.

I never insinuated that was the point of your post. If I did, I apologize.

I misinterpreted your post then, I apologize as well. Let us move on then. :beer:

07g35xnick

Feb 28, 2012
    Mount airy md
    Just borrow the upper and you can put it on your pre 10/1 lower. Is the 6.8 and hbar? Was it bought complete? Just trying bouncing ideas around.

If you want to use his 6.8 rifle and he's willing to loan it to you, why doesn't he just lend you his upper? Doesn't it fit on a standard lower? You should be legal in any configuration if you have a pre-oct lower.

All great ideas, thanks!
    I don't know much about the 6.8 but I'm pretty sure it's just the upper and the mags.

It's not an hbar.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Md. CRIMINAL LAW Code Ann. § 4-303 (2013)

§ 4-303. Assault weapons -- Prohibited

(a) In general. -- Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:

(1) transport an assault weapon into the State; or

(2) possess, sell, offer to sell, transfer, purchase, or receive an assault weapon.

(b) Exception. --

(1) A person who lawfully possessed an assault pistol before June 1, 1994, and who registered the assault pistol with the Secretary of State Police before August 1, 1994, may:

(i) continue to possess and transport the assault pistol; or

(ii) while carrying a court order requiring the surrender of the assault pistol, transport the assault pistol directly to the law enforcement unit, barracks, or station if the person has notified the law enforcement unit, barracks, or station that the person is transporting the assault pistol in accordance with a court order and the assault pistol is unloaded.

(2) A licensed firearms dealer may continue to possess, sell, offer for sale, or transfer an assault long gun or a copycat weapon that the licensed firearms dealer lawfully possessed on or before October 1, 2013.

(3) A person who lawfully possessed, has a purchase order for, or completed an application to purchase an assault long gun or a copycat weapon before October 1, 2013, may:

(i) possess and transport the assault long gun or copycat weapon;
    or

(ii) while carrying a court order requiring the surrender of the assault long gun or copycat weapon, transport the assault long gun or copycat weapon directly to the law enforcement unit, barracks, or station if the person has notified the law enforcement unit, barracks, or station that the person is transporting the assault long gun or copycat weapon in accordance with a court order and the assault long gun or copycat weapon is unloaded.

(4) A person may transport an assault weapon to or from:

(i) an ISO 17025 accredited, National Institute of Justice-approved ballistics testing laboratory; or

(ii) a facility or entity that manufactures or provides research and development testing, analysis, or engineering for personal protective equipment or vehicle protection systems.

Now, if you POSSESSED the assault weapon before October 1, 2013, then you may continue to possess it.

I think you are begging to become a test case and possibly on the wrong end of the test case. Possession is not equal to transfer of title. Merely possessing drugs even if you do not own them gets you in some serious trouble.

Edit to add: He can let you shoot one of his AR-15s while you are in WV, but he cannot loan you one for you to bring home to your residence in Maryland. As already suggested, he can loan you the 6.8 upper, without the lower, and you can use it on your own lower. No need to worry about whether it is an HBAR IF your AR-15 lower is a pre October 1, 2013 lower.

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    So by possessing how would the ups hub here in hagerstown handle s shipment of firearms,they come into the hub and get handled by a person to off load them,go thru the conveyer system and then loaded to another truck by another employee,then driven thru the ststae by yet another employee or contractor, someone is going to be in possession of an contraband item,if you say md can't control interstate commerce then what about the person that drives thru the state and stops for fuel or food,is everyone now going to drive around the state of md? That should be a good sales tax killer,tourism killer and jobs killer when people start figuring this out years down the road.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    So by possessing how would the ups hub here in hagerstown handle s shipment of firearms,they come into the hub and get handled by a person to off load them,go thru the conveyer system and then loaded to another truck by another employee,then driven thru the ststae by yet another employee or contractor, someone is going to be in possession of an contraband item,if you say md can't control interstate commerce then what about the person that drives thru the state and stops for fuel or food,is everyone now going to drive around the state of md? That should be a good sales tax killer,tourism killer and jobs killer when people start figuring this out years down the road.

How many UPS drivers do you see getting charged when they drop off a package for somebody at somebody's house and it happens to be full of drugs. Case in point, the Mayor of Berwyn Heights. Don't think the UPS driver was charged in that debacle. UPS has no reason to open and inspect every single package that is shipped by it.

As far as people driving around Maryland, etc., you are assuming that everybody that would normally drive through Maryland would be in possession of a banned firearm.

Notice that the law does not prevent somebody from selling a banned firearm to a resident in another state. Believe it has to be done through an FFL, but it can be done.

The entire interstate commerce argument would probably be a tenuous one, but one that can be argued I guess.

Personally, I would prefer for the federal government to preempt everything involving firearms and ammunition so all this 50 state stuff could be over and done with, but the states should have the right to govern themselves. We just live in a state that is completely screwed up.

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    Has there been an opinion released as to if an AR style rifle in any caliber other than .223/5.56 a banned configuration? A lot of manufacturers do not call their lower "AR 15". Bushmaster uses XM15, Eagle arms used EA15. Or is this one of the many question FSA13 left to be answered by court decisions? aero's lowers are X15.

If the rifle the OP asked about is not banned, then I assume his borrowing and bringing it to MD would be OK.

MudPuppy

Jul 20, 2012
    If I read it correctly, it's actually a misdemeanor punishable by up to 3 years and/or $5,000 fine.

Wouldn't that class of misdemeanor revoke your RKBA in Maryland from that point forward? I seem to recall misdemeanors that could result in 2 or years or more, even if PBJ, would make you ineligible? Time to go read SB281 *again* I suppose.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Holly Flashbacks Batman !

UPS is a Common Carrier. As long as a package (item) is in transit , it is not *possesed* by the employees , contractors , etc of the regulated Common Carrier.. Not that this is any way relevant to the OP's situation.

Meanwhile at OP's situation :

1. If he has a legal pre Oct1/13 host lower , then borrow the upper from Bro .

2. Exert your influence with your brother so that he builds his rifle in HBAR , or otherwise Md complient flavor In WV . Then bring it within Md borders as a legal rifle , and be sure to keep it in its legal configuration the whole time it is visiting you in Md.

(Shifting)
    And yes it sucks , and will increasingly suck in future years to hold Shooting competions , or other shooting events in Md . There is presently no provision of out of state persons to bring Evil Rifles not possesed by them pre Oct1 to a match. There is legislation introduced to allow nonresidents to temporarily bring in Evil Rifles for competion , and other sporting purposes.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Has there been an opinion released as to if an AR style rifle in any caliber other than .223/5.56 a banned configuration? A lot of manufacturers do not call their lower "AR 15". Bushmaster uses XM15, Eagle arms used EA15. Or is this one of the many question FSA13 left to be answered by court decisions? aero's lowers are X15.

If the rifle the OP asked about is not banned, then I assume his borrowing and bringing it to MD would be OK.

(2) a firearm that is any of the following specific assault weapons or
    their copies, regardless of which company produced and manufactured that assault weapon:

(xv) Colt AR–15, CAR–15, and all imitations except Colt AR–15 Sporter H–BAR rifle;

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

There is also an AG opinion out there about copies. Essentially, it comes down to whether the workings of the rifle are similar or the same as the rifle that is banned. I don't know if merely changing the cartridge that the gun fires will be enough, but maybe somebody should ask the AG. The AG's opinion was that a .22lr that looked like an AR was not a copy merely because it was cosmetically similar. Thing is, I don't know what the internal workings of that .22lr look like.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Not to hijack this thread, but I have a question that runs along similar lines: Yesterday, a friend and I took his AR-15 and AK-47 to the NRA range (it's in VA, for those who're unfamiliar) for a day of shooting. Then, he dropped the guns off at my place in MontCo and I cleaned them while he went to visit his mother nearby. My friend lives in VA and both (not that it matters in VA) were purchased long before the SB281 gun ban went into effect here. Was I breaking any laws simply by having the guns on my premises here in Maryland?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Not to hijack this thread, but I have a question that runs along similar lines: Yesterday, a friend and I took his AR-15 and AK-47 to the NRA range (it's in VA, for those who're unfamiliar) for a day of shooting. Then, he dropped the guns off at my place in MontCo and I cleaned them while he went to visit his mother nearby. My friend lives in VA and both (not that it matters in VA) were purchased long before the SB281 gun ban went into effect here. Was I breaking any laws simply by having the guns on my premises here in Maryland?

Did you possess the guns before October 1, 2013? If not, then you cannot possess them after October 1, 2013. If your friend had never left your premises, then I would say everything would be cut and dry because your friend was there. Once your friend left, you were in possession of a banned rifle that you had not possessed prior to October 1, 2013. In my opinion, you were in violation of the FSA 2013.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom