• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2A Rights

In addition to being a member of the NRA, and donating extra funds to the NRA-ILA, I've joined the GOA and the RWVA and plan on particpating in Appleseeds with my family.

In addition, for your consideration:

Jan 19th - March On Capitols
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUAfft7l4wQ

I realize there's some people trying to organized for a Feb 8th event.

Why not do both?

Please DON'T wear Camo, don't be threatening in any way.

Help prove we are the everyman, respectful, law-abiding - and seriously alarmed about our Constitutional rights being messed with!

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

Excellent point. Nobody should wear camo or tacticool anything to upcoming pro-2A events. To get the correct point across to all the cameras that will be at many of these events, the idea should be to look and dress like the average person (blue jeans, T-shirt, khakis, polo shirt, etc). Or wear a business suit to represent the white-collar crowd.

Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County
    This is what I sent to ALL of my MD House & Senate reps... both e-mail and snail mail. I hope someone in the various offices actually reads it :-)
    Feel free to use part or all...

Senator Thomas M. Middleton
    3 East Miller Senate Building
    11 Bladen Street
    Annapolis, MD 21401
    1 January 2013

Dear Senator Middleton:

I am writing to you to express my deep concern regarding the upcoming legislative session and the potential for proposed bills that would further infringe on our 2nd Amendment Constitutional rights. The recent high profile shootings have whipped many people into a "We must do something!" emotional state at both the State and Federal levels. I am hoping that saner heads will prevail in the coming months. Public policy and law based upon emotions or hastily conceived in the aftermath of a tragedy are rarely wise. As you may be aware the recent FBI statistics clearly show that Maryland had only two rifle related deaths in 2011. In fact rifle related deaths are quite rare despite the sensationalized news coverage that incorrectly implies there is some sort of epidemic of "assault weapon" murders.
    I am a firearms-owning constituent who is adamantly opposed to any further infringement on my 2nd Amendment Constitutional rights. I am concerned that political "solutions" are being developed for a problem that doesn't exist, in response to the emotional rhetoric surrounding the issue. Current State and Federal laws regarding both hand guns and semi-automatic rifles, when properly enforced, are more than sufficient to protect the public interest. Maryland already has some of the most restrictive firearms laws in the country. We do not need further restrictive measures against law abiding firearms owners. As my elected representative, please oppose all further firearms infringement legislation.

Sincerely

Great letter - ;) make sure to include the link to the FBI statistics page. It is a great non biased reference.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-20

Go get 'em

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    One thing I like to do when introducing iffy/anti's is after all of the single shot learning is to turn them loose on my reactive Christmass forest with a 25/30rnd mag. Most get it after that or at least that there actually are non murderous uses for such things anyway.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Latest letter to the state reps through the nra page:
    I urge you not to support any further gun control proposals. No proposal that puts further limits on law abiding citizens is acceptable. The Supreme Court ruled in 2008 that the right to bear arms is a personal right. The second amendment doesn't specify what type of arms for a reason. The founding fathers knew that technology would advance and they wanted to protect the people's ability to defend themselves from all their possible enemies.

I'm a realist. We aren't likely to be invaded by zombie aliens from Mars or have to overthrow a dictatorship. That doesn't mean we couldn't face riots or civil disorder after a natural disaster. That doesn't mean that I don't have to worry about getting robbed if I have to go to the corner store for medicine in the middle of the night. In the past week or two there was a woman in another state who fired all 6 shots from her revolver at an attacker and he walked away. He didn't get far, but 6 shots were not enough for her to disable ONE attacker. If he had had a buddy or two, we'd be talking about a multiple murder home invasion instead of a lucky homeowner.

Here's a story closer to home on I believe it was in a eastern shore county. A convicted felon was arrested with a handgun that had the serial number removed. He was released either ROR or on minimal bail, and was arrested again a couple days later with long guns in his car. This time he was given $25,000 bail ($2500 to a bail-bondsman).

A FELON arrested for TWO FELONIES released with little to no bail only to be arrested AGAIN for ANOTHER FELONY and given bail almost anybody could dig up. Why are we even talking about restricting legal owners when our own state's justice system is already playing catch and release with felons?

Until recently, England was being held up as a poster child for strong gun laws and bans. I say recently because I haven't heard much since it was published in a British paper that England not only had the highest violent crime rate in the EU, but their rate is higher then the US.

As for extending our own system, the MSP regulated gun purchasing system is already backed up. By law we are supposed to be able to pick up our regulated firearms after 7 days, yet I know of people going into their 4th week waiting for their background checks to come back.

I urge you, don't put further restrictions into effect. Fix the system we already have. Do actual studies on the problem. The government usually requires studies before they do anything, yet you are talking about taking rights away from law abiding citizens without so much as a thought. If you continue to treat the second amendment like it's optional, you're going to be losing tax paying citizens as we choose to move to states that allow us more freedoms then the free state.

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    Very well said, sir!

Latest letter to the state reps through the nra page:
    I urge you not to support any further gun control proposals. No proposal that puts further limits on law abiding citizens is acceptable. The Supreme Court ruled in 2008 that the right to bear arms is a personal right. The second amendment doesn't specify what type of arms for a reason. The founding fathers knew that technology would advance and they wanted to protect the people's ability to defend themselves from all their possible enemies.

I'm a realist. We aren't likely to be invaded by zombie aliens from Mars or have to overthrow a dictatorship. That doesn't mean we couldn't face riots or civil disorder after a natural disaster. That doesn't mean that I don't have to worry about getting robbed if I have to go to the corner store for medicine in the middle of the night. In the past week or two there was a woman in another state who fired all 6 shots from her revolver at an attacker and he walked away. He didn't get far, but 6 shots were not enough for her to disable ONE attacker. If he had had a buddy or two, we'd be talking about a multiple murder home invasion instead of a lucky homeowner.

Here's a story closer to home on I believe it was in a eastern shore county. A convicted felon was arrested with a handgun that had the serial number removed. He was released either ROR or on minimal bail, and was arrested again a couple days later with long guns in his car. This time he was given $25,000 bail ($2500 to a bail-bondsman).

A FELON arrested for TWO FELONIES released with little to no bail only to be arrested AGAIN for ANOTHER FELONY and given bail almost anybody could dig up. Why are we even talking about restricting legal owners when our own state's justice system is already playing catch and release with felons?

Until recently, England was being held up as a poster child for strong gun laws and bans. I say recently because I haven't heard much since it was published in a British paper that England not only had the highest violent crime rate in the EU, but their rate is higher then the US.

As for extending our own system, the MSP regulated gun purchasing system is already backed up. By law we are supposed to be able to pick up our regulated firearms after 7 days, yet I know of people going into their 4th week waiting for their background checks to come back.

I urge you, don't put further restrictions into effect. Fix the system we already have. Do actual studies on the problem. The government usually requires studies before they do anything, yet you are talking about taking rights away from law abiding citizens without so much as a thought. If you continue to treat the second amendment like it's optional, you're going to be losing tax paying citizens as we choose to move to states that allow us more freedoms then the free state.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    These emails are great. Just consider dividing them into several more concise emails and send in one or two everyday to every member of the judiciary committee. And certainly your representative.

Also, print your letters out, put on a stamp and mail them. Letters have much more influence. So do phone calls. Visiting them in person even better. I recommend if you visit, ask MSI if they will accompany you.

drwalther

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Berlin

mh53gunner

Dec 17, 2009
    30+ years of writing, calling etc. I'm getting tired. Mont Co is a terrible place to live. None of the politicians are pro gun from what I see.
    Quite frankly if we loose this battle I'm out of here.

None of the criminals will comply which leaves us being the scape goat for the gun grabbers.

Martian

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 15, 2007
    PG Co.
    30+ years of writing, calling etc. I'm getting tired. Mont Co is a terrible place to live. None of the politicians are pro gun from what I see.
    Quite frankly if we loose this battle I'm out of here.

I certainly understand. It's as if Maryland lawmakers have turned on middle class baby boomers, and only welcome gang bangers, illegal aliens, and politicians.

helmetmike

Sep 30, 2010
    So. MD 29B
    I am in this fight. I have written a letter to and sent e-mail to my: US Senators, US Congressman, State Senator, State Delegate, State Senate President, House Speaker, All members of Senate Judiciary Committe, All Members of House Judicial Proceedings Committee. I have had a face to face meeting with my State Senator this morning and plan to be in Annapolis every Monday evening until I catch up with each of the District 29 Delegates. I have talked to people whom I know to be firearms owners and encouraged them to call, e-mail and/or write their elected officials. I will be in Annapolis on Feb. 6. The only way for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Nodachi

Jan 22, 2013
    This is superb. It was this selfsame thought that a few days ago prompted me to join this site. What's going on is totally FUBAR, you know?

Saginaw

Jan 13, 2013
    Fort Meade, Odenton
    I'm reading lots of stuff and looking at ways to help the cause. Sending e-mails to elected officials voicing my concern about pending bills that would limit if not down right negate my second amendment rights. NRA member. I am sending all I know links to different sites and encouraging them to also let our representatives know NOT to support gun ban legislation of any type. I will be at rallies to show support.

:bullhorn: This is getting serious and scary - I will not back down nor will I keep quite. Don't you either.
    Consider me in! I moved to Maryland for work and found the gun laws here worse than California to understand.
    I was real skeptical about writing the politicians figured they may put me on the list and send the men in black to my house first. Just sit back keep to myself keep my pistol in the shed nobody knows just lay low, Then I thought damn, I went around the world to protect the rights I was born with and I'll be dammed if in my old age I'm going ride this one out.
    I sent my letters today using the NRA website to all my reps local and national and I will be in Annapolis on Feb. 6.
    If this bill passes it’s the end of the 2nd Amendment. If we are required to register them it’s for a purpose they will take them or tax them believe it!
    A lot of good men died for the Bill of Rights and we need to stand for them NOW!
    A US Veteran having to take a course before being able to purchase a weapon is ridiculous and having to register for a license to possess, go to the range and then be required to re-register every so many years it’s insane.
    As a USMC veteran the Governor is insulting me to even suggest such things, too many of my brothers have died to protect this country and I will do all I can to prevent it from being taken from within.

We all need to get this out to family and friends; everyone must know they take the Second the First is sure to follow!

If this is really for the children Mr. President make the tools used for abortion illegal not the Arms that keep this nation free.

Saginaw

Jan 13, 2013
    Fort Meade, Odenton
    In addition to being a member of the NRA, and donating extra funds to the NRA-ILA, I've joined the GOA and the RWVA and plan on particpating in Appleseeds with my family.

In addition, for your consideration:

Jan 19th - March On Capitols
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUAfft7l4wQ

I realize there's some people trying to organized for a Feb 8th event.

Why not do both?

Help prove we are the everyman, respectful, law-abiding - and seriously alarmed about our Constitutional rights being messed with!
    Consider me in! I moved to Maryland for work and found the gun laws here worse than California to understand.
    I was real skeptical about writing the politicians figured they may put me on the list and send the men in black to my house first. Just sit back keep to myself keep my pistol in the shed nobody knows just lay low, Then I thought damn, I went around the world to protect the rights I was born with and I'll be dammed if in my old age I'm going ride this one out.
    I sent my letters today using the NRA website to all my reps local and national and I will be in Annapolis on Feb. 6.
    If this bill passes it’s the end of the 2nd Amendment. If we are required to register them it’s for a purpose they will take them or tax them believe it!
    A lot of good men died for the Bill of Rights and we need to stand for them NOW!
    A US Veteran having to take a course before being able to purchase a weapon is ridiculous and having to register for a license to possess, go to the range and then be required to re-register every so many years it’s insane.
    As a USMC veteran the Governor is insulting me to even suggest such things, too many of my brothers have died to protect this country and I will do all I can to prevent it from being taken from within.

We all need to get this out to family and friends; everyone must know the take the Second the First is sure to follow!

If this is really for the children Mr. President make the tools used for abortion illegal not the Arms that keep this nation free.

jd31494

Jan 27, 2013
    An additional perspetive on HB281

First of all, my thanks to all of you who have read and summarized HB281 over the past few days. I won't try to duplicate anything I've read previously but I noticed something very uncomfortable regarding the proposed requirements for new residents should this bill become law. I've not seen anyone else address it yet. You'll note the following on page 33 of the bill. An new gun owner to the state of Maryland would be required to provide:

THE FIREARM APPLICANT’S NAME, ADDRESS, SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER, PLACE AND DATE OF BIRTH, HEIGHT, WEIGHT, RACE, EYE AND HAIR COLOR, SIGNATURE, DRIVER’S OR PHOTOGRAPHIC IDENTIFICATION SOUNDEX NUMBER, AND OCCUPATION.

In my view, this is not only unconstitutional (most here would agree on that point), it is also a prescription for credit card fraud and identity theft. Is the state actually proposing to create a database of new residents that would have everything an identify thief would need? Does the state really believe that they can keep this data protected? Have they considered the impact on potential new residents evaluating MoCo vs. NoVA for example? The consequences are both on a constitutional and financial level.

I hope all of you writing a few letters over the next few days find this a useful point for the legislators to consider. Like others have suggested, I will correspond with my representative as frequently as possible and with a number of different methods.

helmetmike

Sep 30, 2010
    So. MD 29B
    I have a suggestion for those who have already written/e-mailed their Reps., Delegates, Sen., etc., Call and make an appointment with your Delegate or any of your elected officials at his/her district office. Get face to face with these people and help educate them. Bring some of your friends from their District with you. The more people these folks see, the more they will realize they have a price to pay for not supporting what their voters want. If you are able to make an appointment to meet with them in Annapolis that will also work. We absolutely cannot let up on these people. They are already crying about how many letters and e-mails they are getting. Remember to be polite, factual, and firm in you committment to stop these insane assaults on the 2A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom