• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I know, not another one of these threads. I searched, but I have a slightly different question regarding the 30 wait I haven't seen brought up. The question on the 77r asks if I've taken possession in the last 30 days. Well lets say one did a handgun transfer through MSP, NOT an FFL, and in accordance with the law transferred the handgun after 7 days. Now 50+ days later the paperwork is still not back.

Technically they took possession over 30 days ago, even though the transaction is not officially complete. So is it safe to do another application on that logic, or should one wait until 30 days after the official completion of the deal when the paperwork comes back?

This is all clear as mud.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I know, not another one of these threads. I searched, but I have a slightly different question regarding the 30 wait I haven't seen brought up. The question on the 77r asks if I've taken possession in the last 30 days. Well lets say one did a handgun transfer through MSP, NOT an FFL, and in accordance with the law transferred the handgun after 7 days. Now 50+ days later the paperwork is still not back.

Technically they took possession over 30 days ago, even though the transaction is not officially complete. So is it safe to do another application on that logic, or should one wait until 30 days after the official completion of the deal when the paperwork comes back?

This is all clear as mud.

I think I would submit again right now. Even if you get the "not disapproved" paperwork back 15 days from now, you know it is going to take 45+ days just to get the next application approved. I would just answer question 15 appropriately.

wade234

Feb 12, 2011
    Mechanicsville, MD
    It is really clear as mud. My FFL dealer says that it is 30 days after submitting the application. A co-worker's FFL is telling him it is 21 days after you take possession ("Not Disapproved"). I am hoping mine is right :sad20:

tenex

Oct 23, 2008
    The 30 day clock starts when you pick up gun number one. If you are filing a second application before picking up the first one then you have NOT purchased a FA within the past 30 days, answer accordingly. Be sure to count days between pickups. 30 days has September, April, June and...

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    It is really clear as mud. My FFL dealer says that it is 30 days after submitting the application. A co-worker's FFL is telling him it is 21 days after you take possession ("Not Disapproved"). I am hoping mine is right :sad20:

Right now, people are submitting a second application 30 days after the submit the first application because it is taking MSP close to 60 days to approve the first one. If you were to wait until 30 days after you pick up the first regulated firearm, you would essentially be waiting 90 days between submitting applications. You would get your 2nd regulated firearm 5 months after you applied for your first.

So, wait 30 days from your last application and submit another. The MSP will keep the 30 days between purchases straight by telling the dealer to hold an item until a certain date before releasing it to you. Of course, this assumes that MSP will reduce the backlog anytime soon, which I seriously doubt. As we get closer and closer to October 1, things will get crazier. Now, if a Court institutes an injunction or this goes up for referendum, then things will ease up for a while.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I just talked to MSP today and was told specifically that you can put in the paperwork at anytime. If the paperwork is processed before 30 days after pickup, MSP will indicate to the FFL that the firearm cannot be delivered prior to a certain date.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I just talked to MSP today and was told specifically that you can put in the paperwork at anytime. If the paperwork is processed before 30 days after pickup, MSP will indicate to the FFL that the firearm cannot be delivered prior to a certain date.

That is exactly what Rose Brock, the person in charge of the Licensing Division, told me last week. There really should be a sticky on this board about it until 1) the MSP policy changes or 2) the ban goes into effect and this is no longer an issue.

At least this might save the MSP some telephone time so they can get back to do Form 77Rs. I'm still waiting on one from 2/26.

wade234

Feb 12, 2011
    Mechanicsville, MD
    Thank you for the information. That is good to hear. There is no way my second set of paper work will be back before 30 days after I picked up the last one. I just sent in my Collector application today, just in-case I come accros some good deals closer to October 1st. I am hoping now that they have dropped the AR ban at the federal level prices and selection will continue to drop.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    If you were to wait until 30 days after you pick up the first regulated firearm, you would essentially be waiting 90 days between submitting applications. You would get your 2nd regulated firearm 5 months after you applied for your first.

And I can't even BELIEVE this isn't a lawsuit already. :sad20:

What a fvckin' joke this state is. I am literally embarrassed to live here.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Now, if a Court institutes an injunction or this goes up for referendum, then things will ease up for a while.

I highly doubt things will ease up in Maryland for a long while. All a referendum would mean to me is that I have more time to exploit my designated collectors :D. . . whenever the MSP gets back to me :sad20:

Marksman

That is exactly what Rose Brock, the person in charge of the Licensing Division, told me last week. There really should be a sticky on this board about it until 1) the MSP policy changes or 2) the ban goes into effect and this is no longer an issue.

At least this might save the MSP some telephone time so they can get back to do Form 77Rs. I'm still waiting on one from 2/26.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: ^^^^THIS^^^^:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Make a sticky on this topic!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I highly doubt things will ease up in Maryland for a long while. All a referendum would mean to me is that I have more time to exploit my designated collectors :D. . . whenever the MSP gets back to me :sad20:

Money is my limiting factor. Only have a $3,000 to $4,000 budget this year, but this time next year I might have a $10,000 budget or more. Getting an extra year via a referendum would be good. Having SB281 thrown out on referendum or by the Courts would be priceless.

Time to break out the Visa for another handgun purchase.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Money is my limiting factor. Only have a $3,000 to $4,000 budget this year, but this time next year I might have a $10,000 budget or more. Getting an extra year via a referendum would be good. Having SB281 thrown out on referendum or by the Courts would be priceless.

Time to break out the Visa for another handgun purchase.

Why handguns? You will be able to get them after SB281 takes affect unless you want threaded barrels, you need to be grabbing currently regulated long guns. Hence my plan to be knee deep in lowers. I havent decided if I want to try and grab an AK (Rifle Dynamics, I need to decide soon because they take 15-20 weeks to get!) or focus on the AR lowers.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Why handguns? You will be able to get them after SB281 takes affect unless you want threaded barrels, you need to be grabbing currently regulated long guns. Hence my plan to be knee deep in lowers. I havent decided if I want to try and grab an AK (Rifle Dynamics, I need to decide soon because they take 15-20 weeks to get!) or focus on the AR lowers.

You are assuming I am not already knee deep in AR lowers. Simply put, the kids will inherit 2 each and there will still be some left for my wife.

Plus, I refuse to provide my fingerprints like a criminal in order to purchase a handgun.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    So quick question. If I buy handgun x today and handgun y tomorrow then I can just submit both apps and MSP will just tell the FFL to hold em for a bit? So I don't need a Designated Collector letter to begin buying before I get my first pistol back?

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    You are assuming I am not already knee deep in AR lowers. Simply put, the kids will inherit 2 each and there will still be some left for my wife.

Plus, I refuse to provide my fingerprints like a criminal in order to purchase a handgun.

Good reasons, I forget some people on here have been doing this a lot longer than I have :D I need to catch up, I am young and was just getting started in the whole collecting/real life game when our .gov went full retard on us. I am just 2 years out of school and a new homeowner (bought it a whole month before SHTF:sad20:), hence why I am not moving out of MD ASAP. Now I get to rack up the credit card. Which I REALLY hate doing, this will be my first time using a CC as an actual CC. :sad20: Usually I pay it off completely every month and use it to buy everything just to get points :D Thankfully I have some work travel coming up that should throw an extra $2k ish in my pocket, that should let me buy enough lowers lol.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Good reasons, I forget some people on here have been doing this a lot longer than I have :D I need to catch up, I am young and was just getting started in the whole collecting/real life game when our .gov went full retard on us. I am just 2 years out of school and a new homeowner (bought it a whole month before SHTF:sad20:), hence why I am not moving out of MD ASAP. Now I get to rack up the credit card. Which I REALLY hate doing, this will be my first time using a CC as an actual CC. :sad20: Usually I pay it off completely every month and use it to buy everything just to get points :D Thankfully I have some work travel coming up that should throw an extra $2k ish in my pocket, that should let me buy enough lowers lol.

Yeah, you sound like me. I have yet to pay interest on a credit card and I am 41 years old. I have been out of school for 15 years now, so money isn't as tight as it was 15 years ago. Then again, 15 years ago I did not have a wife and 3 kids, or a mortgage payment. We moved into a new house 2 years ago, but the mortgage payment at that time on the new house was exactly what we were paying for our townhouse at the time, so no real big difference other than paying for heating oil, which gave me a heart attack the first time and that was pretty much the last time we used heating oil. Oh yeah, having to buy a mower, new washer and drier, new furnace, new AC condenser, and having to actually maintain the lawn/landscape. Since refinancing two times in 2 years, we are now paying $300 less on the mortgage a month than we were paying for the townhouse.

I hate having to be pressured into buying a ton of stuff right now, and I hate the fact that newer, nicer stuff might come along later on and I will not be able to buy it. I am stuck in this state for 18 more years until the kids finish up grade school, but then the options are limitless as to where I we will move to. Thinking at least 6 months in Florida to avoid state income tax.

The last time I did something like this was back in 2009 when they had been looking at passing an assault weapon ban back then. How our esteemed governor did not know an assault weapon ban was not in place beats the heck out of me. Actually, I have some ideas how he did not know, but I try not to say bad things about people.

Good luck to you with your purchases and I truly hope that come 2014 this is actually a none issue and we end up with a lot of guns and the ability to buy plenty more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom