• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Veblen

Feb 16, 2018
    MoCo
    Everyone knows that firearms can only be transported in Maryland in locked containers directly to / from appropriate events (e.g., hunting). No gun racks in trucks, etc.

What about bows and crossbows? For example, is it illegal to stop by the dry cleaners, etc. on the way home from the archery range? Can I keep my crossbow in my trunk so as to hit the range after work?

Any references to specific laws / statutes would be much appreciated.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    you are gtg as long as its unloaded. See here: http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/deer-regulations-archery-muzzleloader-firearms-airguns/

It is unlawful to have a loaded crossbow in, on or leaning against any vehicle.
    A cocked crossbow without a bolt or arrow in the firing position is considered to be unloaded.

There is no state law governing crossbow transport or carry. The closest maybe the "dangerous weapons" statute. I cannot speak to local rules that are county or city-specific. Although I have not heard of anything.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    don't leave your crossbow in a vehicle in the summer time. The heat will mess with the limbs.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    +1 on will and danb, you can take it cocked or uncocked just no bolt loaded. Summer heat will be bad for it.

I would get a case if you plan to take it on daily travels and avoid areas where you know thieves will be looking for opportunities.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Everyone knows that firearms can only be transported in Maryland in locked containers directly to / from appropriate events (e.g., hunting). No gun racks in trucks, etc.

What about bows and crossbows? For example, is it illegal to stop by the dry cleaners, etc. on the way home from the archery range? Can I keep my crossbow in my trunk so as to hit the range after work?

Any references to specific laws / statutes would be much appreciated.

I'm going to try and decipher what you have here... seems like you are mixing Firearms Owner Protection Act with MD statutes on transport of handguns.

You can have a long gun in your car pretty much state wide (there are a few localities where this may be different). They must be unloaded (this is a DNR regulation). There is an older AG opinion that says that magazines may be loaded but may not be inserted into the firearm. You do not have to have a long gun locked for transport within the state. You are not required to be coming or going to a specific approved event to transport a long gun. I believe that the same applies for cross bows, they can be transported, but only unloaded.

You may NOT transport a handgun unless it is to an approved event (to/from gun range, dog training, collector making a display, etc.). Handguns must be unloaded as long guns when transported for legal purposes and must be in an enclosed holster or case.

When transporting a weapon out of state under FOPA (point of origin and destination are in different states), firearms should be cased/locked and ammo should be stored in a separate case. Possession of the weapon must be legal in both originating state and final destination. There are all kinds of complications however with passing through certain states that want to do their own thing despite FOPA (like NJ and NY). Use caution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom