• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Sen. Norman's nephew and godson, Joe Norman, is running for Delegate in my district. He posted the following on his FB page:

Yesterday I lost my Uncle, my Godfather, and one of my biggest supporters, Senator Wayne Norman. We were always close, and I'm fortunate that we grew even closer over the past year as he mentored me through my first campaign.

He cared deeply for his family, his community, and the State of Maryland. The last time I heard his voice was last week when he announced my presence from the Senate Floor, jokingly telling everyone that I was down in Annapolis to visit my "favorite Uncle".

Wayne was honest and open in a way that few politicians have the courage to be. I hope to be half the public servant that he was.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    If there is a vacancy in the Maryland General Assembly, the governor is responsible for appointing a replacement.

The governor has 30 days after the vacancy to make an appointment based on the recommendations of the political party committee that holds the vacant seat. The political party committee has up to 30 days after the vacancy to submit a list of recommended candidates to the governor. If the party committee fails to act within the 30-day deadline, the governor has 15 days to appoint a person from the political party that last held the seat.

The person appointed to the seat serves for the remainder of the unfilled term.
    Maryland Const. Art. 3, Sec. 13

Senator Norman was doing such a great job he was running unopposed this year. Has the deadline for filing passed ? How will that be fixed ?

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Senator Norman was doing such a great job he was running unopposed this year. Has the deadline for filing passed ? How will that be fixed ?

I would expect the Governor to make an appointment within 30 days. The appointed person would serve until January of 2019 when the newly elected senator would take office.

Filing deadline was Feb. 27, 2018.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Just got an email from the MD GOP...

Annapolis, MD - Maryland Republican Party Chairman Dirk Haire has issued the following statement:

"Sadly, Senator Wayne Norman's sudden passing was not only a tragedy for our state, but also brought to light an oversight of state law related to the replacement of a filed candidate who dies within ten (10) days of the primary filing deadline. The Maryland State Board of Elections and the Attorney General took the position that a replacement on the primary ballot for Senator Norman was required to be submitted to the State Board of Elections by today at 5 PM. The State Board of Elections and Attorney General further took the position that no Republican candidate would be eligible to appear on the primary and general election ballot if no replacement was made by 5 PM today.

The Maryland Republican Party believes the directives by the State Board of Elections and Attorney General were legally incorrect; however, rather than fight an uncertain legal battle at this tragic time and distract from the legacy of Senator Norman, the State Republican Party agreed to submit a ballot replacement to appear on the Republican primary ballot for State Senate District 35.

We urge the Maryland General Assembly to fix this insensitive and inappropriate statute immediately. As a result of being forced to take this action today, the State Republican Party designated Jason Gallion to be placed on the Senate District 35 Republican primary."

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Just received this email blast......what a crock of.......

[https://ecp]

March 5, 2018
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Email:*patrick@mdgop.org

Maryland Republican Party Chairman Releases Statement on the Designation of Jason Gallion in State Senate District 35

Annapolis, MD - Maryland Republican Party Chairman Dirk Haire has issued the following statement:

"Sadly, Senator Wayne Norman's sudden passing was not only a tragedy for our state, but also brought to light an oversight of state law related to the replacement of a filed candidate who dies within ten (10) days of the primary filing deadline. The Maryland State Board of Elections and the Attorney General took the position that a replacement on the primary ballot for Senator Norman was required to be submitted to the State Board of Elections by today at 5 PM. The State Board of Elections and Attorney General further took the position that no Republican candidate would be eligible to appear on the primary*and*general election ballot if no replacement was made by 5 PM today.*

The Maryland Republican Party believes the directives by the State Board of Elections and Attorney General were legally incorrect; however, rather than fight an uncertain legal battle at this tragic time and distract from the legacy of Senator Norman, the State Republican Party agreed to submit a ballot replacement to appear on the Republican primary ballot for State Senate District 35.*

We urge the Maryland General Assembly to fix this insensitive and inappropriate statute immediately. As a result of being forced to take this action today, the State Republican Party designated Jason Gallion to be placed on the Senate District 35 Republican primary."

Just a bit slow on this one....

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Linda Norman nominated to serve the rest of her late husband’s term. Needs Hogan approval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'04 Cummins

Defenestrator
    Today my two boys scout pack was performing their annual flag placing on veteran graves at Bel Air Memorial Gardens. While walking with them I randomly happened upon this grave marker...

Attachments

• 36A33020-683B-4CBB-9AF8-5F3251A93EF0.jpg
      36A33020-683B-4CBB-9AF8-5F3251A93EF0.jpg
      199.2 KB · Views: 133

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    Today my two boys scout pack was performing their annual flag placing on veteran graves at Bel Air Memorial Gardens. While walking with them I randomly happened upon this grave marker...

Wow. Can't believe that was two years ago already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom