• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Two and a half weeks ago I picked up my APX and P320 X-Carry, which I posted about. What I didn’t post about was the Henry single shot rifle I had also ordered. It came in a few days after the pistols.

I bought one chambered in .357/.38 as a relatively inexpensive way to determine if I wanted to buy a lever action in it. Today I finally had a chance to take it to the range and I’m surprised. I thought it would be fun to shoot, it looked like it was in all of the YouTube videos I watched, but it wasn’t fun, it was the most fun I’ve ever had shooting a rifle.

I wasn’t super far away since I had no idea how I would do using the built-in sights. After shooting today I don’t think I need a scope for it, I just need to get out there and practice with it more at further distances. If I didn’t have a limited amount of time this morning I probably would have shot both boxes of ammo I took with me.

Now I know I want the lever action, but I also now want more single shots. I think both a .223 and a .45-70 will be joining this one in my safe soon.

The holes at the bottom right of the photo by the 7 are from the 6.5 Grendel I was test firing with a red dot prior to sticking the Shoot-N-C target on. The one right above the bullseye was the last .357 round I shot so I was getting the hang of the sights as I shot.

Attachments

• 65D54132-E5B4-4FCA-B57A-31462A520D4B.jpg
      65D54132-E5B4-4FCA-B57A-31462A520D4B.jpg
      122.7 KB · Views: 7,090
    • C3AB5E01-5601-407E-8513-A5B909E94A6E.jpg
      C3AB5E01-5601-407E-8513-A5B909E94A6E.jpg
      55.6 KB · Views: 2,313
    Last edited:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Very nice. Was the accuracy comparable between the .38 and the .357?

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Very nice. Was the accuracy comparable between the .38 and the .357?

I didn’t really notice any difference between the two in accuracy, both were 158 grain bullets which probably helped my results. I had three .357 rounds miss the target and two .38 rounds miss but I attribute that to learning the sights and the slight change in recoil between the two calibers. A shooter who is used to the sights and shooting from a bench could probably get the same accuracy out of both.

Next time I go I’ll setup a target for each and see how I do.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Nice rifle!! Welcome to Henrys too. If you like the single shot in 357, you'll love the lever actions. IMHO, I'd hang on and see when, not if, they start making the pistol round stuff with the side loading gate. They already have with 3030's and a few others.
    Enjoy!

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Nice rifle!! Welcome to Henrys too. If you like the single shot in 357, you'll love the lever actions. IMHO, I'd hang on and see when, not if, they start making the pistol round stuff with the side loading gate. They already have with 3030's and a few others.
    Enjoy!

Thanks. I'm waiting for the side loading one, pistol calibers have to be coming soon since I see people constantly asking them to make them. They have more 44 mag rifles currently than any other pistol caliber, so I hope they decide to increase the number of 357 offerings first.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Since you like single shots take a look at the Thompson Center Contender and Encore platforms. You can just switch barrels and have a wide variety of calibers to pick from from multiple vendors. And if you get a frame that started as a pistol you can switch between pistol barrels and furniture rifle length barrels and furniture.

Thompson Center

Encore
    https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/interchangeable-platforms/encore-pro-hunter/platform

Contender
    https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/interchangeable-platforms/g2-contender

Here are the caliber choices from one barrel maker:

Contender
    https://www.bullberry.com/custom-contender-barrels

Encore
    https://www.bullberry.com/custom-encore-barrels

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members