• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Poked around a little and didn't find an easy answer....

I am up for renewal and need an 8 hour class. Does anyone know of one offered somewhat close to Cecil County?

I'm a little short on time so I'd need something in the next 30-40 days or so.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Thanks for the replies, unfortunately I am in Saskatchewan on the date of his next class. I have another option, where I did it last time but it's a 2.5 hour round trip (65 miles each way). Trying to find something a tad closer if possible.

I emailed 3 separate people I've never heard of who are listed on the MSP site as trainers very close to my home, none replied.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    We probably don't show up on Maryland maps any longer, seeing as us and the Eastern Shore Counties should have been annexed into Delaware..... or at least PA.

Frederick is 95 miles, worse than Marriottsville for me. I "can" get pretty much anywhere if I had to.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Salisbury is a haul too, thanks for the tips though. I'm surprised by the number of "certified" handgun instructors that have addresses within like 10 miles of my home (not that they would choose to work here).

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Call Brian Fletcher at Freestate. He will do a one on one class for you. I was jammed up a little on my second renewal and he got me in within 4 days of calling him.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Call Brian Fletcher at Freestate. He will do a one on one class for you. I was jammed up a little on my second renewal and he got me in within 4 days of calling him.

This sounds more like it. I'll give him a call tomorrow. I have time, but don't want to mess around with them. It's been a while since I have had to play games with the MSP, last time they had all my stuff 2 months in advance and didn't say boo until a week before my expiration.

I don't keep up (well) on things MSP or CCW related anymore, seems like nothing ever changes.

Thanks again for the help from all whom replied. I'll report back when I get something firmed up.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Done deal. Going with Miles71 who is fitting me in next week, thanks again for the help!

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Why not become an instructor and negate the need for recertification instead?
    Never thought of it. Maybe that's why there's a huge list of instructors on the MSP site who don't return emails from people inquiring about training

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I have seen and dealt with many instructors and while many do a good job I do think it shouldn’t be so easy to get instructor status. Course, there’s a lot that needs fixed besides just that

Sorry to hear it’s so hard to find someone, but glad we could work it out. I always try to return calls or emails even if I can’t help out.

TD

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Actually got a response to one of my inquiries today, dude from Rising Sun (where I live now). Day late/dollar short type of thing but I was still glad he took the time to reply.

What's it take to be an "instructor", 10 hours?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'm an NRA RSO, that count?;)

Still have to renew every 4 years, better than 3 but still some sort of bullschit hassle as usual with this State.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I'm an NRA RSO, that count?;)

Still have to renew every 4 years, better than 3 but still some sort of bullschit hassle as usual with this State.

1. Successfully complete NRA Basic Pistol Instructor (8 hours).
    2. Apply to MSP online

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom