• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    This thread is to discuss the upcoming spring turkey season.

This will be my first time seriously planning out a few turkey hunts and I'm very excited about it. Last year I had the opportunity to hunt with a guide in South Carolina, so at last I was able to observe a pro and learn the basic strategy and tactics to get in a good position and call in a bird.

Sound off below if you plan to go out. And if you're up for it, maybe share what you will do in the coming weeks to prepare (scouting, equipment, etc?) and the general type of area (wooded, field, mountain, etc) you plan to hunt.

For myself, I'm going to be practicing with my slate at home and I'll test fire a shell from one of the boxes of turkey loads two years ago and never had occasion to use. I'm planning go out before dawn to my hunting location in Montgomery County the next two weekends to post up in the woodline near a large field where I've seen them recently to see if I can get a read on their current pattern. And the following weekend I'll probably wish I knew a "youth" to take hunting. Then on the first Saturday of the season, hopefully I'll get an opportunity.

Best of luck to everyone and please keep safety in mind.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I'll be out! We were in the process if selling our house last season so I only made it out a few times. This season will be a different story!

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    The season started Saturday here on the Rez.

I went to the ranger station and 3 guys from Kentucky were coming in to report their birds to the ranger. They stay in some nice cabins built for hunters here. It's been kind of wet and gloomy since Saturday but this weekend looks nice. I may even go tomorrow.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Pulled my trail cam card on Saturday.:shocked2:

I have a blind about 30' just to the left of this camera. We hunt the eastern shore, Usually on the edges of fields. I have 2 blinds on this field pictured. I mainly use a box call, but my son just got a gobbler and is practicing with some mouth reeds too. I don't like the reeds. They make me gag. I've spotted some birds in the woods also, so we will most likely set up a few days in the woods off our 4 wheeler trail. We use a 3 decoy set, a Jake and 2 hens. I have been looking at buying a Tom decoy too, but they are ridiculously expensive.

Attachments

• WGI_0205.jpg
      WGI_0205.jpg
      181.5 KB · Views: 626
    • WGI_0204.jpg
      WGI_0204.jpg
      176.5 KB · Views: 630
    • WGI_0392.jpg
      WGI_0392.jpg
      162.9 KB · Views: 632
    • Turkeys March 2017 (4).jpg
      Turkeys March 2017 (4).jpg
      165.1 KB · Views: 626

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    I'm off the first 2 days of the season and things are looking good. Unfortunately, I don't have field edges to hunt so I have to be in the woods. Opening day plan is to be in the swamp close to where they roost. Checked it out this weekend and it was thick with tracks. I have not hung any cameras so I'm not sure about the time they are traveling through there. For me, the hardest part is to set up in one place and wait...and then hear them in another location and fight the urge to go runnin and gunnin.

Best of luck to all.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Im excited for this year. Really going to try to get out. On friday I checked my trail camera and found the picture below. Saturday i was in the bathroom at 11am and saw a Tom strutting across the neighbors field. Sunday on the way to the river to fish there was a tom strutting with two hens less than a half mile away. This morning I walked out my door at 0630 and clucked before getting in my truck, two different gobblers answered.
    3194271aa1b92977319c29dec0fb0990.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

blackcrow

Jun 18, 2012
    I will be in Garrett County for opener, will have one day to scout area. Hoping for warm weather hunt in a.m. fish in p.m.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I saw a group of bachelors fighting another group of bachelors...it was quite the spectacle...:lol2: I heard the first spring gobble last week a few minutes before the altercation:lol2:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I saw a group of bachelors fighting another group of bachelors...it was quite the spectacle...:lol2: I heard the first spring gobble last week a few minutes before the altercation:lol2:

You guys doing spring bear this year Wil?

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Saw 3 of them back in the woods behind the house yesterday. One was at full strut! That's what caught my eye. Then they just wandered on through.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    You guys doing spring bear this year Wil?

Yep planning on it, some of the trails still have lots of snow blocking the access to where we set the bait last year but hopefully by the start on Apr 15 everything will be open. I got my bait permits and bear tag. Just have to set up my stand. We cant put out bait/barrel till the opening day.

Im going to try popcorn and bread this spring and see how that works. The bears should be getting up and about if they arent already out. I havent seen any sign of them being up though.

We are going to look for a couple spots to bait and see which one is the most successful and make sure we can have someone there as much as possible. Since last year the few times we missed opportunities was when someone wasnt on the stand.:sad20:

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Wasn't hard to locate these 2 gobblers harassing a jake. They were 40 yards behind camp. Had to screen shot pic from video since I don't know how to post it. Shame Pa season don't come in til April 29th.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      96.4 KB · Views: 460

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Man its going to be hard to wait out the next few weeks. I had 3 gobblers fired up this morning when I left for work. Hope they dont disappear on april 18.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom