• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    *WARNING-IMAGE HEAVY*
    I was checking out the Bel Air Gun Show today, as I do every year, when I stumbled upon one very interesting piece of history. A seller has on his table 2 Fin-marked M91's made by Remington in 1917, priced at 350 apiece. I simply couldn't let at least one of them sit, so I pounced on it. He even cut me a deal down to 330! So far as I can tell it's all-matching. It has a 1" counter bore and some rust at the end that doesn't appear to be too serious. I'll need to clean it and get it tested at a range to be sure it still retains it's accuracy, but the barrel looks fresh.

Now, before I post the pictures, I will mention that as of 3:30 today he still had one for 350 in similar condition but less the leather sling loops on it. In the pictures I left the bolt out.

So, how'd I do guys?

RM91_Left.jpg

RM91_Right.jpg

RM91_Finn.jpg

RM91_Crest.jpg

RM_91_Sling_Loop.jpg

RM91_Sight-_L.jpg

RM91_Sight-_R.jpg

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I would say great find and a good price. Who has 2 of these in Bel Air��?
    There were 840k remington us m91 rifles built, compared to 17.5m tula and izzy 91/30s. Imprrial eagle proof commission intact. Couldn’t make out receiver markings other than Remington brand. AZF marked( purchase of captured rifle from germans)? The k in a circle is a point of aim test proof. Nice. Like a forensic puzzle.

Last edited:

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    One more thing. You might check to see if the rifle has a flaming bomb us ord mark. Right side of barrel. Possibly a rare rifle from the canceled russian contract brought by us troops to russia 1818-1819. If you have one of hose with an SA marking it is believed to have been one left behind in russia by us troops.

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Well, looking at the right side of the barrel I don't see a flaming bomb so I don't think it's a US contract rifle. It does have two Imperial Eagles on the barrel and receiver respectively so I think it was accepted into the Tsar's army before the revolution. I presume it was captured by the Finns and later resold to the US as surplus.

Also, the bolt is a force-match. Just finished breaking it down for cleaning as it had plenty of cosmo in it.

EDIT: The guy who sold them to me picked them up at a recent estate sale. He sold a Pattern 14 Enfield for 500 and a SVT-40 for 1,000 that I missed by an hour...

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    I'd like to also take the chance to ask this question while this thread is here: what sling likely went with this rifle? I got two leather sling loops on it and I'm not well versed with early slings for rifles.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I'd like to also take the chance to ask this question while this thread is here: what sling likely went with this rifle? I got two leather sling loops on it and I'm not well versed with early slings for rifles.

Sorry i do not know. Don’t have access now to my reference books. Maybe someone has bowser’s rifles of the white death, a good reference on Finnish mosin rifles.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Good find! AZF mark denotes that it was captured and reissued by the Austrians. You run across them occasionally. Def. a plus!

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Well, looking at the right side of the barrel I don't see a flaming bomb so I don't think it's a US contract rifle. It does have two Imperial Eagles on the barrel and receiver respectively so I think it was accepted into the Tsar's army before the revolution. I presume it was captured by the Finns and later resold to the US as surplus.

Also, the bolt is a force-match. Just finished breaking it down for cleaning as it had plenty of cosmo in it.

EDIT: The guy who sold them to me picked them up at a recent estate sale. He sold a Pattern 14 Enfield for 500 and a SVT-40 for 1,000 that I missed by an hour...

I may have seen that rifle there...nice find :D

If you come to the next Axis & Allies match at Delta, you just might see that P-14 :innocent0

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis

Back with the reference books. Looked snd found no mention of the sling until i got to collecting classic bolt action rifles, scarlata, p 134. Author shows a photo of a remington like yours, with a leather sling. Appears to have finn-style button at front. Pic of a wwII sniper using an 1891 also shows a leather sling. Not in color and hard to identify any more characteristics.

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Back with the reference books. Looked snd found no mention of the sling until i got to collecting classic bolt action rifles, scarlata, p 134. Author shows a photo of a remington like yours, with a leather sling. Appears to have finn-style button at front. Pic of a wwII sniper using an 1891 also shows a leather sling. Not in color and hard to identify any more characteristics.

Thank you, I suspected as much. I already have a leather sling coming in, just waiting for the post man to deliver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom