• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Sorry for the confusion, in post 9 it was mentioned that there was a Swedish bolt release involved. My post just indicates there is no mistaking a swede action or associated parts for a 93.

Mauser and its affiliates contract produced more than one type of action for different armies (nations) in overlapping years. The Swedes specked out the arguably the best due to quality of the steel.

Not trying to be mean either but theirs no incomplete thoughts here, I know a little thing or two about Mauser's but not everything because when I first started building rifles I studied them before I built them myself. Part of that is understanding the mechanism your working with.

It's a shame a lot of records were lost due to fires or during the war, but due to the popularity of the platform and the groundbreaking achievements associated with the design there is a lot of published material that can be used as a reference. A myriad were made in all sorts of styles and configurations that does lead to some confusion. Probably due to the fact that the strengths and weakness's of the evolution of the design were implemented into the next model, certain similarities exist between design changes. Even with that, there are a few models in their basic form that are used to establish a type that is used as a standard.

Right now, I'm speaking in turns of Mauser or affiliate built examples, there is also a plethora of civilian offerings to consider as well that can lead to confusion without a certain means of familiarity.

There is a Swedish bolt release involved. I did not mean to imply by pointing that out that the action is Swedish. It most certainly is not.

96d0c026692c0f55981d60c960b6600b.jpg

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I got it, I see what you mean now, there's a crown on it. I was focusing on the bolt shroud not listening. I call that the ejector box/bolt stop which does not determine the action type.
    The crown tilted to the side means a Husqvarna civilian or possibly a pupil manufactured part. When the crown is horizontal that mean's a Mauser or Gustaf manufactured part. Theirs no end to what you may find working on a Mauser rifle, screw holes drilled into the locking lugs is always a good one or nearly bored through or dovetails cut nearly to the interior of the bore.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I got it, I see what you mean now, there's a crown on it. I was focusing on the bolt shroud not listening. I call that the ejector box/bolt stop which does not determine the action type.
    The crown tilted to the side means a Husqvarna civilian or possibly a pupil manufactured part. When the crown is horizontal that mean's a Mauser or Gustaf manufactured part. Theirs no end to what you may find working on a Mauser rifle, screw holes drilled into the locking lugs is always a good one or nearly bored through or dovetails cut nearly to the interior of the bore.

Mauser and Carl Gustafs did not use the same crown, although both were vertically centered. I have seen some knowledgeable people state that Mauser and Carl Gustafs also used tilted crowns to indicate a replacement part (one that was not originally attached to that particular rifle), although I have never seen documentation to support that assertion. It could be that they are confusing the Swiss practice of stamping a tilted cross on spare/replacement parts.

Last edited:

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Great info here....not to hyjack this thread but I will asking for some help as well with a mauser as soon as i get the rest of the pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom