• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    This whole 80% Glock thing and what it's done to the Glock market is intriguing.
    -There is a multitude of options for aftermarket slides, barrels, frames, whatever...
    -There is a ton of factory Glock parts on the market. It looks like Glock is selling complete top-ends. Many manufacturers don't offer OEM stuff like that. Some do. It appears to me that Glock realizes they can't stop it, so might as well cash in.
    -There appears to be a bunch of Factory new and or trade-in Glocks getting parted out. Tons of stripped Glock frames for sale.

I've picked up extra Glock parts here and there over the years; complete slides, frames, etc. etc. Versus in the past, whole guns are cheaper than slides/barrels. Frames are cheap. The Glock 22 was always cheap and still is.

Where do you think this goes? Yeah, it's mostly driven by the 80% market which I think is fantastic. I could see the 80% thing getting crushed by some BS laws/rulings/decrees/etc.

Does Glock eventually get put out of business? At some point the free market may very well offer a better and or cheaper gun.

Interesting times we live. Cheap cheap cheap AR15s. Build your own Glocks. Build your own AR15s.

My evil plan is to buy OEM frames while they're cheap, and then eventually pick up the topends when the market collapses (for whatever reason).

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    I think glock makes out better.

They produce everything but the frame, still make the sale and then don’t have any warranty work to worry about.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I doubt that Glock goes under. If anything, they benefit from the exposure. Tons of people (and military, and police) want a ready-to-go gun with a warranty. Same with AR-15's. Nothing against rolling-your-own but it's not for everyone.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Glock is making out like a bandit. It's no coincidence that the parts are selling for more than a new Glock - I suspect the vast majority of of these parts are from parted out guns. The 43's in particular.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Brownells is selling complete top-ends. I'd be surprised if they're selling parted out guns as they tend to be a supplier straight from the OEMs and probably wouldn't want to do something to hurt that relationship (pure conjecture on my part).

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I know Glock is unlikely to go out of business. That was bait to get a discussion rolling. I could see their civilian sales getting cut into though.

I think glock makes out better.

They produce everything but the frame, still make the sale and then don’t have any warranty work to worry about.
    What about all the aftermarket stuff? You can build a complete Glock with little to no Glock parts in it. Not sure about all the small parts, but frames, barrels, and slides are all available. There are certainly some high quality slides and barrels.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    I doubt that Glock goes under. If anything, they benefit from the exposure. Tons of people (and military, and police) want a ready-to-go gun with a warranty. Same with AR-15's. Nothing against rolling-your-own but it's not for everyone.

Agreed. While I’m planning on building a 80% into a G19, I’m also planning on buying a gen 5 G19 because it gives me the warranty and a gun that should work right out of the box. No law enforcement agency is going to start building their own Glocks when it’s cheaper and faster to procure actual Glocks.

I’ve built three ARs and it’s fun but if I find a good deal on a caliber I want it might make more sense to buy than build.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I was thinking more like Colt. I wouldn't say Colt is the go to company to get an AR15 these days.

An interesting question that's been around for a long time is "how low can Glock go on price and still make money". Conjecture is that it's pretty darn low.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Hopefully parts prices come down similar to the way AR part prices did once supply went up.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I was thinking more like Colt. I wouldn't say Colt is the go to company to get an AR15 these days.

An interesting question that's been around for a long time is "how low can Glock go on price and still make money". Conjecture is that it's pretty darn low.

IIRC the Glock Blue Label guns are $350. Wholesale from distributors is $450. They're making a profit at both of those price points.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    What's the per unit cost on a large department order? I suppose that includes parts, training, armorer services, so perhaps not purely a per unit cost.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Glock 17/19's are going to be the Chevy 350 of the gun industry. They'll just run and run forever, tons of mods and aftermarket parts available, from performance enhancing to bling.

I know Glock is unlikely to go out of business. That was bait to get a discussion rolling. I could see their civilian sales getting cut into though.

What about all the aftermarket stuff? You can build a complete Glock with little to no Glock parts in it. Not sure about all the small parts, but frames, barrels, and slides are all available. There are certainly some high quality slides and barrels.

you can build a Glock with no factory parts what so ever...you can even build at least 3 calibers Glock doesn't offer .22LR, 22TCM9R AND 50 GI. There may be others.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    I recently found a cheap used copy of the book "Glock, The Rise of America's Gun". It was written from a clear anti-gun, anti 2A standpoint. However, some of the details of how Glock marketed and sold their guns was still interesting. The combination of very low production costs and buy back programs from police departments meant they were making money not only on their own guns, but also from the used guns of their competitors.

This was written before the 80% boom. But it does not surprise me that Glock would sell parts to support home builds since they have been very aggressive about making profits.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I recently found a cheap used copy of the book "Glock, The Rise of America's Gun". It was written from a clear anti-gun, anti 2A standpoint. However, some of the details of how Glock marketed and sold their guns was still interesting. The combination of very low production costs and buy back programs from police departments meant they were making money not only on their own guns, but also from the used guns of their competitors.

This was written before the 80% boom. But it does not surprise me that Glock would sell parts to support home builds since they have been very aggressive about making profits.

If you can't beat'em, join'em. It's a sound business decision. I have seen Glock registered frames sell for as little as $30. If they are selling everything but the frame to people who probably wouldn't buy a Glock if they weren't doing an 80% they just opened up a whole new market. They also turn a bigger profit, since it is more expensive to buy a gun piecemeal, and they don't have to do any warranty work. Glock has to be loving it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom