Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old Today, 12:10 PM #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimnar15 View Post
If felons can have their right to vote reinstated, then felons can have their right to bear arms reinstated.
So when liberal politicians succeed in giving inmates their right to vote back, will that muddy the waters and open another can of worms?
Doobie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:44 PM #72
Free At Last!!

Free At Last!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobie View Post
So when liberal politicians succeed in giving inmates their right to vote back, will that muddy the waters and open another can of worms?
I've had this discussion several times. When I say felons shouldn't be prohibited from owning guns, people look at me like I'm crazy. They basically say, "It is known" without any further thought.

I always ask if they think the prohibition should be due to ongoing punishment or for public safety. No one thinks it should be punishment. They paid their debt to society, right?

I then ask how it makes anyone safer if the felon is unarmed. "Well, if they lose their mind, they can't shoot anyone." I then ask why they can't stab, run over, blow up, or do any number of bad things to others.

My point is that the person is either safe or not. If he's so dangerous you're worried about him shooting someone, maybe he shouldn't be walking around (even without a legally owned firearm).

It's basically the same argument against red flag laws. How many here are against those but are fine with felons being prohibited from owning guns?

If you're making an argument that prohibition from owning guns should be part of an ongoing punishment, then I can't really argue with you. The argument would hold more weight if the punishment encompassed all civil rights, though.
Gizmo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:28 PM #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo98 View Post
I've had this discussion several times. When I say felons shouldn't be prohibited from owning guns, people look at me like I'm crazy. They basically say, "It is known" without any further thought.

I always ask if they think the prohibition should be due to ongoing punishment or for public safety. No one thinks it should be punishment. They paid their debt to society, right?

I then ask how it makes anyone safer if the felon is unarmed. "Well, if they lose their mind, they can't shoot anyone." I then ask why they can't stab, run over, blow up, or do any number of bad things to others.

My point is that the person is either safe or not. If he's so dangerous you're worried about him shooting someone, maybe he shouldn't be walking around (even without a legally owned firearm).

It's basically the same argument against red flag laws. How many here are against those but are fine with felons being prohibited from owning guns?

If you're making an argument that prohibition from owning guns should be part of an ongoing punishment, then I can't really argue with you. The argument would hold more weight if the punishment encompassed all civil rights, though.
I whole heartedly agree with this. Once someone is no longer in the judicial/corrections system (i.e. they have completed their sentence, probation, and/or parole) then they should get ALL of their rights back, I really don't care what crime they committed.

If they are deemed to dangerous to have ALL of their rights restored, then they should remain a part of the corrections system, thus not allowing them to have their right. If the government doesn't want to do that, then maybe the government should some of it's rights restrained?

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues