• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    40 dollars each? Wait till you start dropping 60+ on a 10 round OEM pistol mag. Or dropping 80+ for a 5 round OEM rifle mag.

40 bucks isn't anything compared to what is it there. Open your eyes and expand your horizons in the firearms world and you'll see things a bit differently.

I think I paid 60 or 65 each for 5 extra mags for my Sig MPX.
    Cost of doing business. :D

CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016
    You cannot do it within the state. Go visit a friend in PA or VA and you can do it there

Good point. That's easy enough. So heat it up until it turns red (in VA or PA) and then use some type of tool like this. Is there a welder in the house who can say whether this will work or not? (Reverse acting clamping plier)

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
      Capture.jpg
      24.1 KB · Views: 305

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Good point. That's easy enough. So heat it up until it turns red (in VA or PA) and then use some type of tool like this. Is there a welder in the house who can say whether this will work or not? (Reverse acting clamping plier)

So you're going to push the dimple out by pushing against the opposite side wall of the mag?

Bad plan. You will likely end up with a mag that won't drop free from the mag well.

IMHO It would be better to use a long piece of solid steel with a square cross section, slide the mag over it and tap on the dimple while the raised area you wish to flatten on the inside is pressed against the solid steel bar.

CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016
    So you're going to push the dimple out by pushing against the opposite side wall of the mag?

Bad plan. You will likely end up with a mag that won't drop free from the mag well.

IMHO It would be better to use a long piece of solid steel with a square cross section, slide the mag over it and tap on the dimple while the raised area you wish to flatten on the inside is pressed against the solid steel bar.

I like your idea. Square steel rod or even angle iron, locked up in a vice and then heat and tap until the dimple flattens.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Instead of trying to recreate the wheel... just drill it like many people have said and call it a day. Better yet, just hop the border and buy a bunch of standard capacity mags. Magazines are crucial to the function of a gun and they're also depreciable/disposable. If they're $40, just hop the border, drop $160 on 4 mags, and call it a day. In the lifespan of the gun, you're likely to spend thousands of dollars on ammo fed through it. Why cheap out on a crucial part that needs to work correctly for the gun to work when you need it to?

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    If you try to fix it, there is a pretty good chance it won’t work perfectly. If you heat it up, the mag body might warp or ruin the heat treatment. The springs or followers might be different between types. A magazine is something you should want to work perfectly every time it is used. It is worth the piece of mind to not try to use a modified mag.

I bought a sig p226 before 2013. It came with two 13 round magazines and a single 10 round magazine. I tried to modify the 10 round magazine, I got it to fit a couple more rounds but it didn’t seem to work the same way the standard mags worked. The follower on the 10 round mag was taller and the spring was shorter. I ended up just throwing it into the junk drawer and I never use it. It it not worth the uncertainty.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Real time/ real world failure drill practice at the worst possible time?

I had some built in malfunction practice my whole career with my 229.
    Most of the time I would be riding the slide lock with my thumb, so the slide didn't lock back on empty.
    And I wasn't one for counting rounds shot, so did I have 1 in the pipe, or did I ride the slide stop?
    So everytime that happened with the slide forward was a tap,rack,bang.
    If it went into battery, I would continue to shoot until nothing came out(haha), or every 80% of my mag exchanges began with me racking the slide back to see what was going on.

After years of this, it just became part of my shooting rituals, to do something until I get rounds out of the end of the barrel.

Needless to say, I don't sweat any malfunctions.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I had some built in malfunction practice my whole career with my 229.

Most of the time I would be riding the slide lock with my thumb, so the slide didn't lock back on empty.

And I wasn't one for counting rounds shot, so did I have 1 in the pipe, or did I ride the slide stop?

So everytime that happened with the slide forward was a tap,rack,bang.

If it went into battery, I would continue to shoot until nothing came out(haha), or every 80% of my mag exchanges began with me racking the slide back to see what was going on.

After years of this, it just became part of my shooting rituals, to do something until I get rounds out of the end of the barrel.

Needless to say, I don't sweat any malfunctions.
    A friend of mine had some 9mm ammo that he wasted to test in a variety of platforms. So me being the helpful sort, I showed up with a few 9mm platforms. The primers on that ammo was weird. A lot of FTFIRE, so it was unintentional failure drill day. But if we put the live round back in and hit it a second time, it would fire.

He was pissed about the ammo not meeting standards. I said not to worry, you helped me more than I helped you. You helped me practice FTFIRE drills and I really needed the practice.

Why were you riding the slide lock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom