• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blip

Aug 5, 2021
    I have the opportunity to purchase a collection of both regulated and non-regulated firearms from an acquaintance's estate sale. This collection is comprised of multiple handguns and long guns and is located in MD. I have my HQL but have not purchased another regulated firearm as of yet. Is it possible for me to purchased the entire collection at once and if so, what are the specific requirements for me to do so? Anyone with any direct experience with this specific situation? Appreciate the help!

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    If you aren't a Maryland "registered collector", you can only take possession of one handgun a month. I don't think there are any restrictions on paying for them all at once, but you would have to arrange a delay in receiving/transfer.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Check with your FFL. Designated collector status makes life A LOT easier. There are provisions for multiple gun purchases and then a longer wait until the next.
    Example - Typical 1 purchase in 30 days. OR if you run 2 thru on the same check you then have to wait 60 days. I do not know the limit for how many can be purchased with an extended wait.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I’m pretty sure the purchase from an estate like this is an allowed exception to the one in thirty rule.

(a) Notwithstanding § 5-128(b) of this subtitle, a person may purchase more than one regulated firearm in a 30-day period if:
    (1) the person applies for and the Secretary approves a multiple purchase; and
    (2)
    (i) the purchase of the regulated firearms is for a private collection or a collector series;
    (ii) the purchase of the regulated firearms is a bulk purchase from an estate sale;

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I’m pretty sure the purchase from an estate like this is an allowed exception to the one in thirty rule.

(a) Notwithstanding § 5-128(b) of this subtitle, a person may purchase more than one regulated firearm in a 30-day period if:
    (1) the person applies for and the Secretary approves a multiple purchase; and
    (2)
    (i) the purchase of the regulated firearms is for a private collection or a collector series;
    (ii) the purchase of the regulated firearms is a bulk purchase from an estate sale;

That exemption IS the Designated Collector letter.

When the 1 gun per month was being debated, this exact question came up. So they made this exemption. And the administration of this exemption is that you have to apply to the state to be designated as a collector.

Thus, the Designated Collector Letter.

Originally, you had to prove you were a collector, but they loosened things up.

But YOU STILL NEED THE LETTER.

DeerbybowDena

Jul 27, 2021
    MD
    Apply for the DC letter, it goes on your HQL account and is automatically checked in your 77R. Check with the FFL your going to use and verify how many can be submitted under 1 application. Especially if your unsure. Not to mention the costs associated w transfers. TK Defense did an awesome job for me in Va at the Dulles show and i picked all of mine up at 1 time and only waited the standard 7 days. They definently knew what they were doing and also enlightened my base of knowledge as a collector and process. Hope that helps and good luck!

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I would have encouraged the OP to make an Introduction Forum post as his first. How many get their first and only question answered never to be heard from again......

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    what does one do when they need a new letter for their records for lets say a toddler ate the old one. :innocent0

blip

Aug 5, 2021
    I would have encouraged the OP to make an Introduction Forum post as his first. How many get their first and only question answered never to be heard from again......

Look at that, you're hearing from me again! I'm new to the gun collecting idea but I already own several so I'm not necessarily new to guns.

Does anyone know if I apply for the designated collector status if I will be rejected for not previously purchasing a registered firearm? As stated in my original post, I already possess an HQL and have no other disqualifications for the status.

I appreciate all the help and hope to continue onwards and upwards with my collection.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Look at that, you're hearing from me again! I'm new to the gun collecting idea but I already own several so I'm not necessarily new to guns.

Does anyone know if I apply for the designated collector status if I will be rejected for not previously purchasing a registered firearm? As stated in my original post, I already possess an HQL and have no other disqualifications for the status.

I appreciate all the help and hope to continue onwards and upwards with my collection.

They may reject the collector status if you do not have any current registered regulated guns.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Or to rephrase , If you have not purchased a Regulated Firearm ,using the 77R process .

However , the Estate clause would apply .

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Great post, good to know for buyers and sellers, answers to something I never considered.
    You always run into someone who doesn't know how to liquidate an estate and most likely widow robbers move in. They tell them the value is half of what it really is then offer them half of that, then round it down to the nearest thousand and whine its not worth their trouble.
    I hope you settle on a fare price.

DeerbybowDena

Jul 27, 2021
    MD
    Id ask your ffl if it would make a difference, both of the ones I use suggested applying only after an approved handgun purchase. So with that said, I would suggest you buy a regulated hand gun then apply after pickup. It is a simple process to get the DC status and most all get approved, takes about 10 days. Just my .02

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    what does one do when they need a new letter for their records for lets say a toddler ate the old one. :innocent0

Ask MSP. But you don’t need the physical copy. It’s on your electronic record and MSP knows when you run the 77r. If an FFL is asking for a copy, tell them it’s on record with MSP and they’ll check it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom