• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I'm looking for a local gun club (I'm in New Windsor). I have been shooting my rifles on private property for a couple of years but that access is no longer available. I think a gun club with like minded folks is timely, especially today's environment.

I'd like to join a gun club preferably in Carroll County. I read up on AGC and sent in the interest form since they aren't too far away off Rt 26, and have started receiving emails about joining specific clubs (nice system for reaching out to new members!). In general, I just want to shoot 50, 100, 200 yards for personal satisfaction, but could see myself competing if I get hooked again like I did in my youth (I'm 59). It's been a long time since the USNR but I'd love to take some rifle courses. Sidearms never interested me, but maybe it's time too to take the training and consider a purchase.

Thoughts on the clubs local to me? Thanks in advance... By the way, I tried the search function but I keep getting HTTP errors...

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I'm looking for a local gun club (I'm in New Windsor). I have been shooting my rifles on private property for a couple of years but that access is no longer available. I think a gun club with like minded folks is timely, especially today's environment.

I'd like to join a gun club preferably in Carroll County. I read up on AGC and sent in the interest form since they aren't too far away off Rt 26, and have started receiving emails about joining specific clubs (nice system for reaching out to new members!). In general, I just want to shoot 50, 100, 200 yards for personal satisfaction, but could see myself competing if I get hooked again like I did in my youth (I'm 59). It's been a long time since the USNR but I'd love to take some rifle courses. Sidearms never interested me, but maybe it's time too to take the training and consider a purchase.

Thoughts on the clubs local to me? Thanks in advance... By the way, I tried the search function but I keep getting HTTP errors...

The AGC of Baltimore is actually a collection of 32 individual member clubs. The individual clubs will tend to have somewhat different primary goals and interests. Some clubs are large and multi-faceted like Monumental, and some others are very small. Some might include a sizable portion of membership geared toward one discipline, like High Power as but one example. Others may lean toward handguns or small bore or the shotgun sports or black powder. Most clubs are actually a collection of folks with typically diverse interests in the many shooting disciplines generally.

Some clubs meet frequently, usually monthly. Others don't meet at all, or may have only one annual meeting. Some schedule frequent shoots for those members wishing to participate, and others don't schedule any. None to my knowledge are really county specific per se, in more than name only, in that most meetings and scheduled activities will oftentimes tend to take place at the AGC facilities.
    So if you want discipline oriented, or a lot of scheduled activities? Or if you prefer none at all of either, because what you really want is everyday range access? There will almost certainly be a club that fits your interests. You can change club affiliation at any time as well. Some members belong to more than one. You will need to first belong to one of these 32 member clubs however, and you'll then need a range orientation and to secure a range badge at the AGC range to utilize the facilities at anytime you wish to do so.

Here's a link to some short club overviews:

https://associatedgunclubs.org/about/associated-clubs/

madmantrapper

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Carroll County
    AGC is very nice, can be busy at times. Beaver Run Fish and Game is in Carroll County in Finksburg. It is not nearly as structured as AGC. It does not have a 200 yard range. Anyway if interested PM me.

Paul

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I think it would depend on how often you go? The costs for AGC are as follows:

$25 club fee (Baltimore Rifle, you can join any, but most are more expensive than that and you sometimes have to go to meetings.... BR has no requirement)

$170 range fee.

So you are looking at just under $200 for unlimited shooting opportunities. Weather permitting of course.

Regarding "busy", events can and do happen however except for their very largest ones, shooting spots are available.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Maryland Rifle Club is $35 yr. They do highpower rifle competition as their main focus.
    The AGC badge is $170 this year but, unless the board of trustees wise up, the badge fee will increase by $10 each year until it reaches $200 yr. There is no guarantee that there will not be further increases after that. Recently, the 200yd range is pretty heavily booked with events, 3 gun, highpower and silhouette on weekends. That's not counting the outside agencies that the AGC caters to occasionally during the week. The 100yd and pistol ranges usually are not too busy and there is almost always a lane open even when it looks crowded.

Membership in the Maryland State Rifle & Pistol Assn. will qualify you to purchase a range badge as well, since they are now an associated club with the AGC.

No matter which club you join at the AGC, their members all have the same privileges to use the facilities. Should you decide to join one of the clubs at the AGC, my advice is to pick the one that best suits your interests.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The question to ask yourself is do you simply want access to the Ranges to shoot by yourself, or do you want an active full service Club with meetings, Club activities, and Club run matches and events ?

*Most* AGC affiliated Clubs don't have a physical presence outside of the AGC Clubhouse, so no point to look for a Carroll County nexus.

If you want simple, no frills, inexpensive, almost an anti-Club , that would be Baltimore Rifle Club. Maryland State Rifle& Pistol Assn is now an AGR Affiliate, so you could combine supporting gun rights with range access.

If you want an active full service Club, members of Monumental, Arlington, Garrison, Mt Washington, and others will chime in shortly to invite you to join them.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Thanks for all the responses. At the end of the day, I want to shoot, most likely every Friday going forward (I just retired so I have some time off weekend). I don't mind a club atmosphere but definitely nothing too structured right now. I'll read up on the various clubs under AGC, and start from there. Competition and training maybe later. I used to run drills back in the 80s and loved them but would definitely require formal instruction until I'm back up to speed. It's been 30+ years.

Appreciate the feedback!

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Chesapeake Rile and Pistol Club meets on the first Thursday of each month at 7:30 PM. We shoot trap before the meeting in the spring, summer, and fall. We have varied shooter: highpower, F-class, trap, bench rest, and several hunters. Come check us out.

Good luck

Jerry

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    The question to ask yourself is do you simply want access to the Ranges to shoot by yourself, or do you want an active full service Club with meetings, Club activities, and Club run matches and events ?

*Most* AGC affiliated Clubs don't have a physical presence outside of the AGC Clubhouse, so no point to look for a Carroll County nexus.

If you want simple, no frills, inexpensive, almost an anti-Club , that would be Baltimore Rifle Club. Maryland State Rifle& Pistol Assn is now an AGR Affiliate, so you could combine supporting gun rights with range access.

If you want an active full service Club, members of Monumental, Arlington, Garrison, Mt Washington, and others will chime in shortly to invite you to join them.

MSRPA dues are $30.00 and no meeting requirement. Just need to show up for range orientation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom