• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • First post in this group...Although I have owned BB and pellet guns most of my life, I never took them for serious hunting tools until I discovered PCPs. I recently purchased my first one, a Hatsan BT65 QE in .22 cal. I've been reading a lot of info on hunting with PCPs, mainly blogs, articles and videos from the U.K. since it looks like hunting small game with airguns is more popular there than in the U.S., probably due to their strict gun regulations..

I am now considering buying a larger caliber PCP for larger animals after seeing videos of hunters taking deer, hogs and other larger game. Has anyone here used a larger (30 cal or bigger) PCP to kill game bigger than squirrels or rabbits? I'm looking for good info on what caliber, bullet type, bullet weight and make/model of reliable high quality rifle to buy...

thanks in advance..

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    First post in this group...Although I have owned BB and pellet guns most of my life, I never took them for serious hunting tools until I discovered PCPs. I recently purchased my first one, a Hatsan BT65 QE in .22 cal. I've been reading a lot of info on hunting with PCPs, mainly blogs, articles and videos from the U.K. since it looks like hunting small game with airguns is more popular there than in the U.S., probably due to their strict gun regulations..

I am now considering buying a larger caliber PCP for larger animals after seeing videos of hunters taking deer, hogs and other larger game. Has anyone here used a larger (30 cal or bigger) PCP to kill game bigger than squirrels or rabbits? I'm looking for good info on what caliber, bullet type, bullet weight and make/model of reliable high quality rifle to buy...

thanks in advance..

Do some searching there was some discussion on deer hunting in Maryland with a big bore probably a couple of years ago.

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    Here is a great forum for information.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537

I have several PCP's from .177 up to .25. I have never even looked at anything bigger as Md did not (until this past November) have an Big Game Air rifle regulations. Basically your air rifle would have to have a ME of 1200FPE. Well someone finally got the the right ear in the Legislature. Now we are allowed to hunt Deer and Bear with any air rifle that is at least .40 caliber and produced 400fpe. I am now researching these guns. Seems like the Bager 401 gets some really nice reviews from guys in the Big Bore circles.

Here is a great forum for information.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537

I have several PCP's from .177 up to .25. I have never even looked at anything bigger as Md did not (until this past November) have an Big Game Air rifle regulations. Basically your air rifle would have to have a ME of 1200FPE. Well someone finally got the the right ear in the Legislature. Now we are allowed to hunt Deer and Bear with any air rifle that is at least .40 caliber and produced 400fpe. I am now researching these guns. Seems like the Bager 401 gets some really nice reviews from guys in the Big Bore circles.

I've been researching. Looks like the Air Force Texan can develop 600 fpe with the right projectile...$1000 is a little steep, although I just bought a Hatsan that was $700...I'd love to have a Quackenbush, but after 5 years of trying and being ignored i've given up..Apparently his arrogance is more important to him than his customer service...

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    I've been researching. Looks like the Air Force Texan can develop 600 fpe with the right projectile...$1000 is a little steep, although I just bought a Hatsan that was $700...I'd love to have a Quackenbush, but after 5 years of trying and being ignored i've given up..Apparently his arrogance is more important to him than his customer service...

When they come back in stock the Badgers are $699.

http://www.airgundepot.com/epox-badger-40-caliber-pcp-air-rifle.html
    epox-badger-40-cal-63.gif

That's just the AGD ad. If you look at some of the forums guys are getting over 350fpe so I'm sure it won't be long before they are over 400.

I'm in no hurry. That would be great if they can..I just bought my first PCP rifle. I've been reading a lot on the British airgun groups and vermin hunters who shoot mostly rats with small caliber airguns..a lot of them do it at night with night vision units that they put together themselves with infra red flashlights, IR CCTV cameras and pocket sized screens..I've ordered some of the components to try this for the rats that have become a nuisance around my area. It looks like a lot of fun..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom