• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dmacri25

Ultimate Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    BelAir,MD
    I'd be fine with ads as long as IP's get first dibs and no flashing/animated ads. I find them extremely annoying. Other then that, whatever keeps the lights on.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Youns guys do good work! Keep it up! We are a flexible lot and a few ads won't pester anyone.

Lew--Ranger63
    US Army (Ret-'84)
    Indiana, PA (but have lived in Merryland since 1977)

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Kev, thanks for all your efforts to keep things running smoothly! I am an admin on another large Vb site and can equate to your dilemma. We run ads, and yes, the new owners even run the dreaded taboola, but.. I run an ad blocker on my pc, which is mostly what I browse forums with, so it is no issue to me and personally, if it can help the forum financially, I think it's a good option, if not too intrusive to those logged in.

I also agree that many would gladly donate to assist with operating and equipment costs, if asked, me included. :beer:

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I've used sites where the ads actually slow down or freeze up my netbook, which goes with me on the road. Eventually I've had to give up and no longer go to those sites. Hope whatever ads you accept here won't hog system resources or cause these problems.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Answers my question in the other thread about why the spontaneous giveways for no aparent reason. They were the personal lubricant to prepare us for advertisements.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Answers my question in the other thread about why the spontaneous giveways for no aparent reason. They were the personal lubricant to prepare us for advertisements.

We were doing contests and giveaways 10 years ago, so no, your theory is incorrect unless you believe that this been a decade long plan that outlasted one owner and one moderator.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    From the sounds of it, it will look similar to the 1911 forum. A single ad on the homepage (maybe header too?), then nothing after that once you're logged in.

It's pretty innocuous.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I'm ok with flat ads. I would be concerned if the membership contact information was sold to advertisers though.

I'm not actually against selling this info. I would just like a notice allowing us to opt out before it is sold.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    I can only speak for myself as an IP, but competing ads (Gunbroker, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop) would cause us to rethink our IP status. Online gun stores undercut local gun stores enough. I would prefer to not have them undercutting us again.

Depending on the number of members, what about a subscription to remove ads. If 1,000 members opt in to remove the ads at say $1 a month, that's $1,000 a month in revenue there.

JavaScript/Flash ads are a site's killer. Static images or possibly animated images are best, in my opinion. As others have already stated, text ads are the worst.

We all understand that bills have to be paid and business is business, but it sounds like you're trying to find a good balance in that. Keep reaching out to members for input and you'll be successful. Keep up the great work, Kevin.

texkev

Administrator
    Staff member
    Admin
    Jan 19, 2016
    North Texas
    Seriously?

I suggest don't enter them if you don't like personal lubricant.

Actually they are fun. Some people think they are good to promote the site. I don't see that so much nor try to with them. I post it in one thread and that's that. I don't even make a site wide announcement at the top of all pages using the announcement system, the folks that are here often and post enough will see and enter.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Would a small subscription fee work? Maybe a small $10-$15/year fee for anyone wanting Water Cooler access be a viable alternative? I think if it would pay the bills, many would be willing. Just spit balling an idea.

I never thought about the IP and their concerns, but I think it's a valid point. We are a pretty tight group around here and many have stepped up to help pay bills in the past.

Just a thought!

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    only possible issues i can see are
    autoplay ads with sound
    any scripted ad
    resold ad space ending up who knows where

slow down of site

just dont sell to verticlescope.....................

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    I can only speak for myself as an IP, but competing ads (Gunbroker, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop) would cause us to rethink our IP status. Online gun stores undercut local gun stores enough. I would prefer to not have them undercutting us again.

Depending on the number of members, what about a subscription to remove ads. If 1,000 members opt in to remove the ads at say $1 a month, that's $1,000 a month in revenue there.

JavaScript/Flash ads are a site's killer. Static images or possibly animated images are best, in my opinion. As others have already stated, text ads are the worst.

We all understand that bills have to be paid and business is business, but it sounds like you're trying to find a good balance in that. Keep reaching out to members for input and you'll be successful. Keep up the great work, Kevin.

You should take a poll. I'm not sure about others but I would GLADLY give $1/mo to keep this place the way it is (ad free that is).

texkev

Administrator
    Staff member
    Admin
    Jan 19, 2016
    North Texas
    I get that point with IP's. Excellent point. Tough one. I see both sides for sure and have thought about this for a long time. Only doing local business ads was an option, most folks or businesses cannot afford to advertise. This site is large, and that does not mean you can just charge more, if you do then the percent of folks that could advertise at that higher rate lowers.

However most of us if not all see ads and know all about these stores. Last 2 purchases for myself were at the Local Ace Store where there is a gun guy upstairs and he sells there, a small shop. I could likely easily find discounts from folks I know, or barter for something in exchange for ads. I can guarantee he is not the cheapest but the closest local guy to me. I have only ever bought guns/gear locally. Not at all saying you cannot buy various places, to me with gun stuff it was just easier for me.

The IP forum itself is very busy, that likely will not change at all. If anything it's an amazing deal for the amount of pageviews the site gets and the activity that is found here. Sites this large never have great deals like that. I do truly appreciate the feedback, trust me I am still thinking my way through this.

texkev

Administrator
    Staff member
    Admin
    Jan 19, 2016
    North Texas
    FYI, I have tossed around many ideas. Taken a long time to even get to this point.

I thought for everyone including IP’s ads away from members would be great.

Also local ads will be cheap, I guarantee the cheapest CPM you will likely find on any gun site.

With the IP dilemma, I also know that being a part of the community as a sponsor is invaluable to businesses. They are known here as a business, have their signatures set as so, etc. I can’t imagine ads to non-logged in folks will cause any changes for IP’s. If anything I cleaned the IP area up recently so it would be better for the ones current. The pageviews, let’s say a Cabelas ad would get would be beyond tiny to what the local ads would do.

Donations tend to fade and would not do what ads would do unfortunately.

I also have not tested my plan yet, it’s very minimalistic, like someone said on the gun site they mod, the normal way to do it is take full advantage of every chance to place an ad that you can. I am hoping this plan works. There are so many unknowns.

Just a few more thoughts running around here…

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    Ads running on this site this big is inevitable. I am personally very impressed that it has been online so long, and able to not have ads.

Don't get me wrong., I hate the idea of ads on this site. I would vote against them at all cost. Folks should be proud that this site has been member / IP supported for so long.

Problem is that member donations come and go. I have also seen IP's come and go. I don't personally know the dollar figures, but I imagine the IP program is not enough by itself to support all of the expenses associated with this site.

Ads provide a steady income the site owner(s) can count on. They provide financial stability for the site, rather than having to have a financial "call to arms" every 6-12 months.

I would personally prefer a membership fee with extended benefits / privileges, rather than ads.

Suggestions:

1. Listing classified ads is for paying members only.

2. Certain sub - forums (water cooler?) for paying members only. This would also be good for sensitive stuff we talk about.

3. Special title / avatar / icon distinguishing folks as a subscription member.

More to follow gotta think about it.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    With the recent influx of new IP's (and I'm not knocking that), competition for customers get tougher every day. That's business and we deal with that, but if we have input to the ads that get displayed, I, for one, would cast a vote against the big box stores or online gun stores. Other local, even non-gun, businesses like roofers, home builders, bakeries and restaurants, would be good for the site as well as good for business to expand the offers to members. A $10 ad from a local restaurant in Harford County would go a long way to support local business and keep the community local to Maryland.

In my opinion, when you start throwing up ad networks, you turn into a website that only has the purpose of generating revenue and it takes forever to load the pages with all the flash ads. Take Yahoo, for example, or eBay or Amazon. eBay used to be awesome, but the ads have pushed me away. The pages take way too long to load because of the ad networks. Facebook is not far behind them, either.

Just my 50 cents. Take it for what it's worth... LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom