• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Yeah....guessing the bot looks for that forum.

If the spammer(s) have scripts either hard-coded to target that sub-forum, or are running more sophisticated programs to scan forums for the keyword "introductions", you could throw a monkey wrench into their efforts by renaming "introductions" to something else, at least temporarily.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Have you considered using a captcha for sign ups ? I think that they are a PITA, but they are effective.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    If the spammer(s) have scripts either hard-coded to target that sub-forum, or are running more sophisticated programs to scan forums for the keyword "introductions", you could throw a monkey wrench into their efforts by renaming "introductions" to something else, at least temporarily.

Have you considered using a captcha for sign ups ? I think that they are a PITA, but they are effective.

Definitely on the list of things to do, but not possible at this time.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

Bots get through standard captcha all the time on a forum I moderate. The only way to stop it is with questions requiring answers not listed in the HTML and/or special mouse actions like click-and-drag.

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    Does anyone besides me find themselves checking the introductions forum more often just to try and catch report these a55hats? On a side note, there must be a lot of profit selling franking machines.:sad20:

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Thanks for reporting them fellas.

Also thanks to those that are making a post of "reported" in the thread because it lets others know that someone has already sent us an alert and it keeps our emails from blowing up.:thumbsup:

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Thanks for reporting them fellas.

Also thanks to those that are making a post of "reported" in the thread because it lets others know that someone has already sent us an alert and it keeps our emails from blowing up.:thumbsup:

You don't mind if we have a little fun with them before you nuke them do you?

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    You don't mind if we have a little fun with them before you nuke them do you?

They don't see it. It's all hit and run, whether it be bot or human.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    . . . I've become quite a connoisseur of spammers and can pretty much tell you where they are from based on their username, email addresses and server names. I can also pretty much tell you what behaviors they'll exhibit once they register . . .

:lol2: I don't envy you, and hope I never have to develop that skill set! Thank you for your service! :D

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    :lol2: I don't envy you, and hope I never have to develop that skill set! Thank you for your service! :D

The Russians are a real PITA, but at the same time easy to dispatch. They dump 5-10 new registrations at once, but all from the same IP.

If you catch them before they post, it's easy to hose them all.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Should be seeing some relief as of late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom