• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DSC729

Aug 18, 2012
    Mo County
    I added a +5 mag extension on my 870, I installed the much longer spring that came with the extension and was only able to get +4 3" shells in for a total of 8 in the tube +1 in chamber. I've read elsewhere that the spring should be 8" longer than the overall mag length. So I cut the spring according and can almost get the 5th shell in but still about 3/4" off. My question is, is the +5 based on 2 3/4" shells and not 3" or is my spring still too long? Thanks in advance!

krew08

Lurker.
    Feb 26, 2010
    PA
    These are based on 2 3/4 shells in my experience. I have a Remington 870 Express Tactical that shipped with a +2 extension (stock tube is 4 shells at 2 3/4) for a total of six 2 3/4 shells. If using 3 inch shells it will be limited to 5. (In a stock 870 this would be 3 I think)

Edit: also, unsure about cutting the spring, I personally wouldn't be doing that, may kill some reliability there.

DSC729

Aug 18, 2012
    Mo County
    I did say on the paper it shipped with that is was a "universal " spring and could be cut to fit, so in searching the proper spring length I found 8" longer than the overall mag length was optimal. Ive loaded it up and cycled it through the 8 rounds a few times after the cut was made and it seemed perfect without a failure to feed at all so im confident it wont fail me in use.

krew08

Lurker.
    Feb 26, 2010
    PA
    I did say on the paper it shipped with that is was a "universal " spring and could be cut to fit, so in searching the proper spring length I found 8" longer than the overall mag length was optimal. Ive loaded it up and cycled it through the 8 rounds a few times after the cut was made and it seemed perfect without a failure to feed at all so im confident it wont fail me in use.

Ah, that's good. I just wouldn't to that to my factory magazine spring. :D

Happy shooting. :)

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia

Cycling it under recoil will determine if you actually have reliable feeding. Just cycling it in your living room wont give you the whole picture. So I would go shoot it, a lot, before you rely on it.

Last edited:

DSC729

Aug 18, 2012
    Mo County
    Cycling it under recoil will determine if you actually have reliable feeding. Just cycling it in your living room wont give you the whole picture. So I could go shoot it, a lot, before you rely on it.

Good point, i'll have to take it to my parents house in WV and put a 100 through it. Thanks!

Dec 6, 2011
    Believe it or not, the bigger error is leaving the spring too long. Excessive spring tension and speed will allow a second round to slip by and jam the lifter in the down position. It can be cleared.....eventually, but going from cruiser ready to locked up tight is problematic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom