• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Yes - I was browsing the radio channels while driving home and heard "Pistol Grip Pump" by RAtM. It prompted this post. Corny? Yes, I know. But, what the heck... do you find any use for pistol grip shotguns? I don't mean with the stock. I mean ones with just the pistol grip. And, I'd luv' to see any pics of yours if you have one.

The Mossberg seems to be most popular on YouTube - I'm assuming because it's one of few companies that actually offers it as standard set up.

:party29:

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    Last time I was at Delta some old idiot came with one saying he'd just put the grip on and wanted to try it out-- He tried holding it at eye level as if it had a stock-- the gun nearly jumped out of his hand with every shot.:sad20:

After 2 shots I put my daughter in the car and packed up my chit so quick I left my target stand base in the parking lot.....:sad20:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Last time I was at Delta some old idiot came with one saying he'd just put the grip on and wanted to try it out-- He tried holding it at eye level as if it had a stock-- the gun nearly jumped out of his hand with every shot.:sad20:

After 2 shots I put my daughter in the car and packed up my chit so quick I left my target stand base in the parking lot.....:sad20:

Like this?

retrorichard

Member of Team Awesome
    Dec 24, 2009
    Rockville
    I had a pistol grip on my maverick 88. I couldn't hit anything with it on, but then I got a shotgun sling for pistol grip shotguns and used it to pull away from me. I could get pretty close to hitting what I wanted then.

Without a sling, and shooting slugs, I never had issues controlling my shotgun and I have carnie-sized hands.

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    my mossberg came with a pistol grip but i put a ar style stock on it so i could shoot it at the range. next time i go to elk neck or somewhere else i'll have to try a couple rounds with the PG

I have carnie-sized hands.

thats hilarious:lol2: well lets just hope you don't smell like cabbage:D

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    This is mine. The trick to firing them is to hold them at eye level, away from your face and apply opposing pressure. The forward hand pulls away from your body while firing as the rear hand pulls in. In sounds goofy, but that's how a Border Patrol instructor taught me and it works pretty well. They're not real useful, but they are real portable so they have value to me.

Attachments

• mossberg-.jpg
      mossberg-.jpg
      22.1 KB · Views: 309

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    The sling thing works really well also. You attatch one end to the rear of the gun and the other to your belt on your other side with it across your neck. When adjusted properly you push the gun out in front of you and it almost acts as a rear stock. This also works for subguns as well.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    This is mine. The trick to firing them is to hold them at eye level, away from your face and apply opposing pressure. The forward hand pulls away from your body while firing as the rear hand pulls in. In sounds goofy, but that's how a Border Patrol instructor taught me and it works pretty well. They're not real useful, but they are real portable so they have value to me.

Gonna hafta try this, when the KEG12 gets blessed.

The sling thing works really well also. You attatch one end to the rear of the gun and the other to your belt on your other side with it across your neck. When adjusted properly you push the gun out in front of you and it almost acts as a rear stock. This also works for subguns as well.

Works well with rifle caliber semi-auto pistols

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Other than a firefight in a phone booth (which there seems to be none today), what good is it? It's harder to shoot accurately, slower and more apt to jam (short stroke).

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Open Choke and 00 Buck Shot. Who needs to aim?

You do. :D With good buckshot it makes a softball sized hole at around 12 yards.

What are they good for, they're portable. It's the most portable long gun I own. It's not the easiest thing on Earth to use well, but they do serve some function.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    The CDI factor is very high with a PG. Chicks always gravitate towards it and want to be like Ahhhnold.

My Maverick 88 can be quite painful after a few dozen rounds.

This lives under my bed. It's name is "Toe Monster" (Greaseman fans should have a laugh at that!)

DSC_0020.jpg

It's a "Reming-Berg". Remington with a Mossberg-made 870 barrel and Tac-Star 2 shot extension. Hogue rubber fore-end with ATI "birds head" PG and a chopped Uncle Mikes gripper sling installed upside-down.

The birdhead grip really does make a difference in "felt" recoil, especially when fired from the hip. Trade-off is slighty more felt recoil when fired "high" though. Coke or Pepsi, I guess....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom