• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    So, what would you recommend? I know... a visit to a shop would be most beneficial. But, throw some ideas my way first. Primarily an HD gun that could see some clay shooting from time to time.

I'm leaning more toward Mossberg. But, their line gets confusing: from the Bantam, Super Bantam, Mini, and Youth. I'm thinking a 500-sized receiver in .20 Ga. with an 18.5" barrel and 12" LOP. Wood furniture... just a classic looking shotgun (always thought the mass of the wood stock helps absorb the shock too).

Thanks!
    :thumbsup:

New Mossberg site: :tdown:

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I bought one years ago for my son to shoot. We still shoot it. I'm pretty sure its a basic 500 since we got it at Walmart. It's a solid shotgun.

Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    Since its for small stature shooters; need a shorter length of the stock, usually 12.5" to 13.5" for teems and ladies. So look @ youth models, like Remington 870 20 ga, those models can serve as HD and clays gun too.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    How much of an issue is weight? I would recomend a semi because of reduced recoil. The Remingtons allow collapsable/adjustable stocks for versatility but the Mossberg is lighter. For a gun that completely defies the laws of physics a Benelli Vinci is made of air and hardly kicks at all.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Read that with the smaller mass of the receiver and generally the gun itself, the .20 Ga. feels just like a .12 Ga. in the Super Bantam.

Is this true? Or, is the receiver the same size as your standard 500?

Thanks.

My experience with scaled down 20's is that they kick as bad as the 12's. Semi's mitigate that you just have to decide how much weight is an issue. The Mossberg 20 is a nice balance but dous not allow collapsable/adjustable stocks. The Remington is heavier but if they can wield it with authority a great option. The Vinci costs more but is amazing. My neighbor has one and all I can say is wow.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    My experience with scaled down 20's is that they kick as bad as the 12's. Semi's mitigate that you just have to decide how much weight is an issue. The Mossberg 20 is a nice balance but dous not allow collapsable/adjustable stocks. The Remington is heavier but if they can wield it with authority a great option. The Vinci costs more but is amazing. My neighbor has one and all I can say is wow.

Mossberg and in a pump-action. Reliability, maintenance, accessories, cost... all play a role in that decision. Let's just say price ought to be no more than a run-of-the-mill 500 Wally World special (sub $300).

Sounds like a regular 500 in .20 with a shorter LOP stock and barrel would be best at reducing felt recoil rather than any of the youth/small stature specific model guns.

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Read that with the smaller mass of the receiver and generally the gun itself, the .20 Ga. feels just like a .12 Ga. in the Super Bantam.

Is this true? Or, is the receiver the same size as your standard 500?

Thanks.

The only other shotguns in 12 gauge that I own that I can can compare to are an Ithaca 37, Ruger Red Label and a Winchester 1200. Shooting trap loads, to me there is less recoil from the 20 gauge Mossberg than the other 12 gauge shotguns I own.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Mossberg and in a pump-action. Reliability, maintenance, accessories, cost... all play a role in that decision. Let's just say price ought to be no more than a run-of-the-mill 500 Wally World special (sub $300).

Sounds like a regular 500 in .20 with a shorter LOP stock and barrel would be best at reducing felt recoil rather than any of the youth/small stature specific model guns.

Sub $300!!!! You spend more than that on a cheap pocket knife!!!!

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Some trap ranges will not allow short barreled shotguns.

Most will not. Like I said you need to carefully evaluate who it is for for upper body strength and recoil sensitivity. If you go with a Moss or Rem get several barrels for HD and sport. If going with pumps the gun will be lighter slightly and kick as much as a 12ga. A semi in 20 or 12 will usually weigh more than a pump but kick less. The Vinci is light, kicks less than a pump but with barrels and mag tubes will cost as much as your average skinning knife.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28

I suppose a Knoxx Compstock would reduce recoil and be adjustable for length of pull.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    For clays, a 12ga shooting Winchester 26gram AA target loads (or 7/8oz equivalent) is less recoil than a 20ga. Once you have any time on a clays course shooting with a typical 8.5-lb to 9-lb O/U, any 12ga Mossberg 500 feels light as a feather. 20ga will seem like a toy. Less weight is not your friend on a clays course. It will work against you and pound the snot out of your shoulder after 100 shells. If you get a basic Mossberg 12ga, you can buy inexpensive black polymer furniture with a 12" stock. Also keep in mind that quite a few shooting facilities will not let you shoot on a clays course with an 18.5" barrel. Typical minimum barrel length that's allowed is 22" to 23".

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    When I was a kid my Dad got me a Remington 870 Wingmaster youth model 20 gauge with an improved cylinder choke. (Edit - actually, I think I've got one of the few Lightweight Limited Models - I'll have to look this up to see just what it is.) At the time I was simply too small for a full-sized shotgun. I still have this gun, but it hasn't been used literally since I was a kid. Once I grew I graduated to a full sized 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge and never looked back. I "could" still use this gun, but it's just too small. It's even too small for my kids now.

clay_shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 27, 2011
    MoCo
    Remington 1100 youth 20ga. Great gas powered gun. I had one cut down (!) years ago for my wife. The kids really liked it.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I'm making the same decision; looking for a gun that my wife and/or daughters can shoot.

A 20 gauge gets you a gun light enough for them to handle effectively and a semi-auto gets you the recoil reduction that will help them concentrate on the targets instead of the beating a pump is more likely to give them. I also feel a semi-auto is easier and safer for a beginner to handle.

The Mossberg SA-20 Bantam at just over $400 NIB was going to be my choice, but as of now I'm still looking for someone who has one in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom