• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    I have read that a home defense shotgun should be minimally equipped with accessories that many associate with HD shotguns, and that money destined to be spent on flashy accessories would serve better if spent on ammunition and training for the use of said shotgun.
    I bought a Knoxx SpecOps Stock for my 870, and although I liked the recoil absorbing capability, I did not like that I could not rest my cheek on the stock like I do when I hunt birds or shoot skeet. I ditched the Knoxx stock and went for a standard Remington synthetic stock. I also had bought a set of Hogue overmolded grips which included a pistol grip and a forend. While the gun looked very cool, I agreed with other opinions that a pistol grip on a shotty is only good for shots of no more than 10 or 12 feet. The XX shot at that range has not expanded appreciably and therefore a slight cant of the shotgun can easily cause a miss. I kept the foregrip because the rubberized coating made the forend very comfortable to hold and grasp, but removed the pistol grip.
    On my 870 tactical shotgun I only have these extras:
    Remington 2-rd magazine extension
    TacStar 6-rd Sidesaddle
    Hogue overmolded foregrip
    I've seen many tacti-cool shotgun pictures posted here, but I have to question if Tacti-cool might lead to Tacti-can't in a L&D tactical situation. Many LEO reviews of tactical shotgun set-ups say that KISS is the way to go; Keep It Simple, Stupid, and practice, practice, practice!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The only thing I added to mine that you don't have is a Surefire Fore End LED weapon light. The price is outrageous but I didn't want to skimp. There a are a whole bunch of cheaper alternatives. Knoxx does make an accessory kit that includes some type of add on mod to the stock that allows a good cheek weld. I have not tried it.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Knoxx does make an accessory kit that includes some type of add on mod to the stock that allows a good cheek weld. I have not tried it.

I happen to have one on my 870. It does work very well. My 870 also has a red dot sight mounted on it. Between the recoil reducing stock and the red dot, I can accurately shoot seven rounds of buckshot in under three seconds on multiple targets.

Jim

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Knoxx sells the powerpack cheek rests for under $20. For HD I prefer a weapon light with a wide enough beam that peripheral light will allow target ID with a defined center for targeting and an accesable switch for when you don't want to broadcast your location. I like a folding stock for HD so I can use it folded for retention and deploy it for general use or longer shots.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Mine is about as simple as it gets.

Remington 870 mag from a corrections system trade-in. I blasted and parked it. stripped and linseed oiled the wood. it was a tower gun (i.e. bird barrel) and so I got, parked, and installed an 18.5" cylinder bore barrel. Handles fast. I don't go in for "tactical" and have a very small living space. five rounds (4+1) will enable me to get to heavier armament if needed. I keep a shell belt near it.

load is a 2 3/4" #4.

I guess some of that fancy stuff has its place, but for me, at 0300, I want something i know inside and out. nothing that catches on stuff. light and fast. I've debated shell extensions and may end up with one at some point but this is NOT a "game gun" and thus is not about running the stage in daylight. The ability to engage steel or clays at 30yds is irrelevant in a home where my longest shot will be 25'. Anything longer will be outdoors and that is what rifles are for.

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    Any short barreled open choked shotgun with OO Buck for HD. Nothing better than sending 9 - .33 cal projectiles down range. Pistol grips look cool, but looks aren’t everything. Maybe an attached light.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I had a tactical, now I have a practical (shotgun): I can use it for hunting, skeet, and home defense. It's a Benelli Montifeltro with a 28 inch barrel and a 21 inch barrel. I put the 21 inch barrel on for home defense. I can fire off 5 rounds before the first shell hits the ground, if need be.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    jimbobborg--

I won't use .223 because my neighbors share a wall.....Even with some frangible stuff I have left over from another life I'm still not gonna if I don't have to. I have my Robinson M96 ready to go with five mags full of TAP next to it but I really prefer not to have to resort to centerfire rifle fire in my particular situation. I agree that a rifle offers more firepower and accuracy (I don't care for shotguns much as a general rule, they just happen to fill a niche for home defense) but i'm limited by my environment. Where I used to live (I had a steel yard and a railroad for neighbors), my Robinson was loaded and ready at all times and I carried a handgun pretty much 24/7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom