• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    A co-worker of mine got a month of jury duty the very month he was to out process for retirement. They wouldn't recuse him.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    I sat on a murder jury a few years ago. Bloods gang killed a dude in their own gang because he sent a dick pick. It was messed up but made me proud of our legal system. Jury trial is a big part of what keeps us free.

Guy got life.

T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    Have done a lot of jury trials but never sat on a jury. I have always wondered what it is like. Not sure I really want to know what they say about the lawyers:)

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Anybody ever get FEDERAL Jury duty? I got summoned last Nov and it was different than a week of calling in and going or maybe not going for local jury duty. I got summoned for one precise trial, scheduled for a minimum of 8 weeks. Of course they don't tell you what trial it is, but the night before the trial was supposed to start I was contacted that my service was postponed. Saw on the news that morning a pedophile that was facing federal trial plead out, 99.99% sure that was to be my trial since US vs "his name" was on the court schedule on Friday, but not on Monday. 40,000+ kiddie po*n images and over 100 videos, ick. Wonder how many of them I woulda had to look at as evidence? Again, ick.

Anyway, reason I ask is my "postponed service" got reactivated, apparently to be available to be on a Federal GRAND Jury for the entire month of July. Has anyone reading ever done this? I'm curious how bad this is gonna suck. At least I'll be raking in a cool $40 per day, way better than a paltry $15

Any advice or horror stories are welcome.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have got the letter a couple times, went once. Before the first letter, I figured it was my duty and I was proud to serve. Afterwards, it's complete BS, basically a room full of people end up a slave to burocrats so they can put on a good show, the more responsibilities at home or work that you have the worse it will be. Have heard plenty of horror stories that are much worse, some sequestration practices are insane for law abiding citizens in a "free country". Definitely don't think anything less of folks that get out of it. If serving on a jury was respected or compensated anywhere near the level of public "service" in congress, then things might be different.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Almost made it twice. Was picked for a Civil trial, but last second settlement. Made it thru examinations for a medium interesting Criminal trial, but I was #43 , and the panel was filled by #35.

My contract pays my regular pay for Jury Duty, so bring it on.

Wife once served on a State Grand Jury, but neither of us have been called for Federal anything.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Don't get me wrong, I'll be proud to serve and kinda looking forward to it. However, the durations of Federal Service seem quite extraordinary. As I said before, back in November I was first designated for one specific trial that was scheduled to begin the Monday before Thanksgiving and last for minimum of 8 weeks, before my service was postponed. I'm extremely fortunate in that the company I work for had offered to still pay me during my absence, and I'm also not living week by week, paycheck to paycheck. What do other folks do in this case where they don't work where I do, the money is tight and they'd be essentially losing 1/6th of their annual salaries? Who can take 2 months of unpaid leave from work? Unfortunately this very real extreme financial hardship is also not one of the valid excuses to be exempt from this service. For that matter I suppose on State & local service you could also get stuck on a long trial that would keep you away from work & possibly family for a very long time. At least the Federal level gives $40 per day instead of $15.

Who knows? Maybe I'll get something juicy, something requiring Witness Relocation. I have bad allergies, I hear Arizona is quite nice......

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    The only time I actually got called in for jury duty in my old state ended up actually being for a murder. I was actually pretty stoked, until they listed the names of all of the witnesses that were to testify and I realized that my friend from HS/classmate worked the call for the victim. So much for that...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    A co-worker of mine got a month of jury duty the very month he was to out process for retirement. They wouldn't recuse him.

Sounds like he got tapped for a Grand Jury.

I have picked for jury duty a number of times. A few times, when I did the night before call in, I did not have to go.

I went in maybe 5 times. Only once did they select a jury. Other times, just sat around until all the cases pleaded out.

The one where they selected a jury, I was gone on a pre-emptive challenge by the defense attorney. Strange thing was, the lady sitting next to be was a county police dispatcher, and she got put on the jury. Go figure.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I get at least one request a week from a patient trying to get out of jury duty. It's amazing what excuses people try to come up with. Sorry, unless you are disabled you are going to jury duty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom