• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Any recommendations for good prices and selection? I'm not looking for anything extravagant. Cold Steel price point or similar. Need to get my 9 year old son his first real pocket knife.

Thanks

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    eBay. Find the cheapest price with shipping and buy it now on eBay. If the seller is reputable buy it. You can try places like Knife Connection, Barryonyx Knife Co, etc., but eBay is always cheaper. Amazon too.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    eBay. Find the cheapest price with shipping and buy it now on eBay. If the seller is reputable buy it. You can try places like Knife Connection, Barryonyx Knife Co, etc., but eBay is always cheaper. Amazon too.

Great. Exactly the lowdown I was looking for. Thanks

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Just my opinion. Take your son to a real brick and mortar knife shop. I'd be like a candy store. If it's a birthday present, allow him some input. He'll like it a lot more if he helps to pick it out.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    If you want it to be something special it's hard to beat the iconic Buck 110. Walmart has them extremely cheap - around $35.

The Victorinox Swiss Army Tinker is another great iconic knife that can be found at Walmart and Target under $20. It's the knife I would tell all my cub scout parents to buy their sons when they earned their Whittlin' Chip.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Blade HQ, Knife center, Knifeworks, Knife art, and for Cold steel can probably add a couple general outdoors vendors like Bass pro or MidwayUSA. Also lots of smaller reputable sellers on bladeforums. Ebay can be OK, you HAVE TO RESEARCH THE SELLER. there are a few brick and mortar shops that sell their overstock for decent deals, there are a few counterfiters that sell knock off crap. Avoid the "chinese deals" websites like Bang-good, they are probably 90% counterfit. It's not as big of a problem with sub $100 knives, but there are several knowledgeable knife knuts that have been had with extremely realistic counterfits.

Of course being in Frederick, you are lucky to live by one of the better shops, take him to Edgeworks, and let him pick one out.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Just my opinion. Take your son to a real brick and mortar knife shop. I'd be like a candy store. If it's a birthday present, allow him some input. He'll like it a lot more if he helps to pick it out.

A great idea for later, but now he really has no clue and I want to get him something functional.

If you want it to be something special it's hard to beat the iconic Buck 101. Walmart has them extremely cheap - around $35.

The Victorinox Swiss Army Tinker is another great iconic knife that can be found at Walmart and Target under $20. It's the knife I would tell all my cub scout parents to buy their sons when they earned their Whittlin' Chip.

I want to get him something with a good lock and that he won't easily break. I picked him up an inexpensive CRKT folder that the lock is an integral part of the handle/frame and he has great difficulty working it.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I like New Graham. They're usually the cheapest among the online stores or competitive. I do check prices from other shops and will buy from another vendor if the price is better. Haven't tried eBay, but will after the recommendation here.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    You want a decent folder......won't break the bank.....got a little bit of a cool factor......and you want it to keep the kid happy?

If you would be interested in a SOG........I'll do a karma and declare that the random number generator picked whatever number your kid guessed lol. I'd need an address and name in a PM.

Attachments

• IMG_0242.jpg
      IMG_0242.jpg
      24 KB · Views: 229

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    don't buy from a place w/o significant feedback. ebay or Amazon.
    I got a knife a couple years ago from Amazon, you'd think it was genuine. Nope, it was a copy of a Kershaw.
    When I noticed something funny and clicked to see my order details, the item was "no longer available".
    I sent an email and they offered to refund, but I just kept it and tossed it in the back of my car as a spare.

had same if not worse experiance on ebay for kids stuff or Remote Control airplane stuff. Bootleg for sure. seller gone etc.
    some will sell a whole lot, get some + feedback, sell more, then start loading up the bootlegs and then vanish.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    If your son is 9 and you're looking for a pocket knife then go to a tractor supply or an old fashioned hardware store. They usually have a glass case knife display and you can ask to look at the different models. A Buck 110 is a nice knife but it's a large belt knife not really suitable for a kids pocket.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    You want a decent folder......won't break the bank.....got a little bit of a cool factor......and you want it to keep the kid happy?

If you would be interested in a SOG........I'll do a karma and declare that the random number generator picked whatever number your kid guessed lol. I'd need an address and name in a PM.

I don't think you can beat this deal!

As always I am amazed by the generosity here

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    You're in Frederick, check out Edgeworks if you haven't. Great shop with a great selection.

If you go online I like Knivesshipfree.com He was doing a thing a while back to give a Buck Bantaam to any kid that the parent requested one for, I was able to get a pair for my Boys with their names on them (free from him at the time) before the maggots on the net started ordering 30-40 with fake accounts, etc and he had to stop doing it. That said, you know you'll get the real deal from reputable sellers like him. I would be leery of Amazon these days for things like knives.

Walmart often has an OK selection and almost always has a Buck 110 in stock. The Bantaam that I mentioned above is also a good first knife for a kid. Big Buck fan, 5th generation American made (mostly), Christian company (and don't hide it). Their US made knives will have a US flag on the packaging so it's clear to tell which are made here (most) and which are not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom