• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    If there are any knife makers local to Montgomery County, I have some steel you may be interested in. This came from my father-in-law who used it when he had his hand engraving business. Side note, he came out of retirement and engraved the plate used to print out wedding invitations.

I don't know what kind of steel this is, it is soft as it can be marked easily with a nail. I am assuming the heat treat process can harden them (could be wrong). There are various lengths, width, thicknesses. Some are 1/8x1x16 inches, others are 1/4-1/2 by 3 1/4 wide and 20 or so long. That picture is a standard milk crate with enough to make at least a dozen knives or possibly 2-3 dozen. There are some engraving plates as well in the box. These aren't that useful as they are 1/16 thick with lettering on them.

You can have the whole lot, possibly making me a knife for the materials:innocent0

Can pick up in Montgomery County, can possibly meet close the border as well. If you know a knife maker local, let them know or pick up for them. Will leave this up for a week or so, then going to a buddy who scraps metal.

Attachments

• IMG_1833.JPG
      IMG_1833.JPG
      69.4 KB · Views: 588

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Have more steel up for grabs. No idea of what kind, but what the heck. Let me know if interested.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    You can have the material tested. Its not cheap, unless you already have a materials tester sitting around.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    You can have the material tested. Its not cheap, unless you already have a materials tester sitting around.

Thanks!

The son and I have been watching Forged In Fire and we are stoked at trying to make a knife or two. Other than the belt sander and grinder, we don't have any of the other things, but found out you can send the knives out for heat-treatment. If we did 10 knives, that would only cost $100'ish. In any case, we've been looking for some local steel. Just wish we knew what kind it was.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Thanks!

The son and I have been watching Forged In Fire and we are stoked at trying to make a knife or two. Other than the belt sander and grinder, we don't have any of the other things, but found out you can send the knives out for heat-treatment. If we did 10 knives, that would only cost $100'ish. In any case, we've been looking for some local steel. Just wish we knew what kind it was.

I talked with a guy who made custom knives at a fair one year and he was making the blades right there. He was using pieces of the old coil springs from junk cars. He would heat it in a kiln he had then hammer n heat, hammer n heat, til it looked like a knife ready for a handle.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Speedy Metals on-line has all the tool steel you'd need for making knives. And it's not expensive.

The stuff in that basket looks like structural steel. Not suitable for knife making.

If you're going to invest time and money pounding steel, start with good steel.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Agree with all above, this probably isn't the best to make knives with. It was used in the old school process of making plates for ink engraving. But if you want to test it out, go for it.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Think it would make good practice steel?

Depends on how you define practice.

If you just want it to turn orange so you can beat on it? Sure. All day long.

If you want to practice proper heat treating and tempering? Not at all. Not enough carbon content.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Curtis6789

Latest threads

Top Bottom