• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cb51

In 1970, the year after I got out of high school, I bought a Buck 301 stockman. That pocket knife rode in my pocket for the next 25 years, including service in the U.S. Army, and travels abroad, camping, fishing, and exploring from southwest deserts to many trips on the Appellation trail from Springers Mountain and northwards.

It took 25 years to wear it out, and I ended up carrying a mix of Swiss Army knives, a Gerber LST, a couple pod Opinels. But a month ago I started to carry a used 301 Buck stockman again. I saw it sitting in a antique/junk shop for a price that was half what one was new. Aside from being filthy, it was in very good shape with the original edge still on the blades and almost no wear. Taking it home and giving it a warm bath with some Dawn dish detergent and a old tooth brush, I found a pretty nice pocket knife.

It was erie to have a Buck stockman in my pocket again. It seems like an omen, since I had been on a kick about going back to my roots. I've sold off many of my guns and other stuff that I wasn't using, and the guns that I've been shooting the oct is my old Ruger standard model and Marlin 39 from the year I graduated high school.

I realized how much I missed having three blades to choose form in one pocket size package. I like choices in a tool, and having three different blade shapes and edges is nice. Almost as nice as shooting a gun I got 47 years ago and finding that it shoots better than some of the guns that were much newer and higher priced.

Who said you can't go back?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back in the day, carried the Old Timer counterpart. Before lockblades trickled down to all sizes of knives , a " large Stockman's" knife of this type was THE knife for pocket carry .

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Awesome pistol with an awesome knife! The 301 and the 119 were the first Buck knives my dad gave me years ago for Christmas. I carried the 301 for years until I almost lost it. I then retired it because I didn't want to take a chance with a knife that meant so much to me. Now I have many different Buck knives but still tend to use the 301 most around the house. I love American made Bucks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom