• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    I got billed for a med flight to the tune of $16,000, from PG county to Shock Trauma. Private service MSP was tied up on another run.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    No Sir. Retired Trooper/Pilot
    OK, love the handle and thanks for your service.....

.....I was VFD in the 70s & 80s and remember the Trooper pilots that would trim trees to land closer to the scene.....and lived to land on the Bay Bridges!!! Much repect!!!

Flew with Tr.6 (Dauphin sp?) from outside of Federalsburg to Salisbury and back. They dropped me off on the way back to Centerville....

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    Well thanks for your service also. Full disclosure, I flew fixed wing, but did fly along on med-evacs every so often during some down time once the Dauphin's came along. Things were a bit different during the Jet Ranger days. I had a lot of fun and enjoyed my career.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Pardon my ignorance but with a hospital in Westminster minutes away why Medevac all the way down to Baltimore?

Because Maryland, that's why.

The state has made a strategic decision to do trauma different from the rest of the country. Rather than building capacity to treat trauma at the community hospital level, MD maintains a state operated fleet of medevac helicopters and everything that is 'trauma' gets flown to a few designated receiving facilities. By concentrating the treatment of trauma to those facilities, there is a high level of competency available. Built into the system is a fair amount of over-triage. If a patient is brought to a community hospital and the providers there decide to transfer to a trauma center, the patient will be stuck with the bill for the ambulance or helicopter ride which can easily run into the tens of thousands of dollars. If the transport is done by the state straight from the scene, the patient doesnt owe anything for the helo ride (it is paid from a $15 surcharge on car registrations). As a result, there is a strong bias to call for the troopers even if the injuries dont really require the service of a level II or I trauma facility.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I got billed for a med flight to the tune of $16,000, from PG county to Shock Trauma. Private service MSP was tied up on another run.

MSP would only do an inter-facility transfer if no private provider is available. For scene flights its the other way around. Private operators only get called if all the troopers and the park police are unable to serve the request.

So for a inter-hospital transfer it would be unusual for a patient not to be charged. For a scene flight, it would be unusual for a patient in MD to get charged.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Years ago working for CC company, someone called in and had a single $96k charge to their bill (used to handle all the high end lines). They needed to be flown from Mexico to CA for some emergency!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    ( Only slightly tongue in cheek )

Because Maryland Invented This ! This was our concept that everyone else is trying to copy . Don't question us, question them about why they're doing things imperfectly , if not out & out wrong .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom