• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Orlando

I do not have the money for it, but with CMP Garands tapering off, I figured I better get one this year. A friend was unhappy with the field grade he got in 2014, so I wanted to get the latest scoop on how field and service grade rifles look these days. I would have a reason to swing by Port Clinton this year (only 3-4 hours RT out of the way), but the reports about in store selection don't sound good.

As an alternative, how much of a premium do you pay for shooter quality via private sales? Just as an example, and I don't plan to bid, what is your opinion of this rifle:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=538061633

How much do you think it will go for?
    If your friend was not happy he did not read the grade description he went off of pictures others posted of what they received
    THIS IS A BIG RED FLAG!!!
    Never go by pictures of what others post as guys only post pics of the best rifles received
    CAREFULLY read the gradee description and expect to get exactly that. If you get anything better it will be a bonus and there will be no dissapointments.
    I suggest getting the $730 Service Grade
    Guys try a save $100 on the Field gardes but for the first time buyer they are not the best rifle. While many Field Grades are nice many will be in need of barrel repalcement and still be within the grade description. I have personally handled many hundreds of Field Grades and would never take a chance on mail order on one, only hand pick
    If you need any help on ordering PM me.

mroe21877

Nov 5, 2014
    A buddy of mine bought a field grade Garand 2 years ago and to be honest I like it more than my special grade. His looks like it's been well used and has a ton of character. I do like my rifle a lot but it is tempting to another with more character! I'd say buy what you can afford from CMP or keep your eyes out on-line for a good deal.
    I'm in the same boat. In fact I kinda want a field grade. I'd rather have an honest used banged up one. May be time to stop being lazy and order

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 7.0 II using Tapatalk

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I have owned over 100 Garands, and I collect them. Have followed the market closely for the past 12 years, bought and sold a few and collect mostly IHCs.

Many who bought CMP Field grade rifles in 2014-15 were unhappy with them, and/or wanted to make a quick buck, and made them available on the auction sites and thru the CMP free sales forum

I purchased many Garands, many of which were IHCs, the past two years, but none came directly from CMP. I gave up on their "pig in a poke" system years ago.

You will pay a premium, if you buy off GunBroker, or a similar site, or from me or any individual seller. But, you will be able to handle, see numerous pics and in a limited # of cases (with me), fire the piece before purchase.

I have several Garands for sale presently. I don't have any on GunBroker right now, but I will be adding a few soon. I am Good Guy 176 there, and any who have questions can send a mail to: goodguy176@gmail.com.

Lew--Ranger63

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    Im a Garand newb. I have 3 service grades (2 springers and a H&R) and one field grade IHC with an LMR barrel (Ordered a service grade LMR but they ran out and I took a field grade just to get one). All were directly from CMP between 2011 and 2014 and Im happy with all of them. I havent cleaned or taken them apart or inspected them yet but they look great.

I have seen worse examples in stores and on GB for $300-$400+ more than what CMP was asking.

I think if you want one to shoot, and arent looking for collectible as much as a good gun, get a CMP, But if you want numbers matching/historically correct gun then you are better off looking for it or buying one from Lew

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    I have owned over 100 Garands, and I collect them. Have followed the market closely for the past 12 years, bought and sold a few and collect mostly IHCs.

Many who bought CMP Field grade rifles in 2014-15 were unhappy with them, and/or wanted to make a quick buck, and made them available on the auction sites and thru the CMP free sales forum

I purchased many Garands, many of which were IHCs, the past two years, but none came directly from CMP. I gave up on their "pig in a poke" system years ago.

You will pay a premium, if you buy off GunBroker, or a similar site, or from me or any individual seller. But, you will be able to handle, see numerous pics and in a limited # of cases (with me), fire the piece before purchase.

I have several Garands for sale presently. I don't have any on GunBroker right now, but I will be adding a few soon. I am Good Guy 176 there, and any who have questions can send a mail to: goodguy176@gmail.com.

Lew--Ranger63
    Will you be posting them on the classifieds here as well? I'm local to your area and may be interested.

letmeoutpax

Nov 12, 2013
    St. Mary's
    Service Grades these days are apparently often rebuilt and refinished with new stocks, producing a very nice rifle.

Field Grades have a lot more "character", more wear, been there done that look. They won't have new stocks!

I like both of my Field Grades. Both have muzzle and throat numbers that fall in Service Grade range, and both are good shooters. Both have unmarked birch replacement stocks: old stocks, probably 50 or 60 years old. Both have a lot of "character".

Best thing is to buy three of each, just to be safe.

But don't wait too long: the end may be in sight.

While it would be cool to have a rifle with character, it seems like if you want to use it the original character would slowly get diluted by the modern dings.

If it is true that service grade is fairly consistent in quality that would get me close enough to owning an icon of history while being very "serviceable".

Thank you all for your help.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    There's a LOT to be said for paying a bit more and picking one out in person, like Lew was saying. There's a great deal of variation among Service Grades, and people's preferences vary greatly.

Some people hate new stocks, some hate dinged stocks. Apparently many current Service Grades are refurbished by the CMP with new stocks and new parkerizing.

If you have specific wants, and you can only get one, then you might do best to pick one out yourself.

Of course, if you want some fun and adventure, just order one per month from the CMP, with the idea of keeping the one you like the best, and reselling the others. You'll have the fun of getting a new rifle every month or so, you'll be able to try them out, shoot them, maybe even swap a few parts. You'll get a real feel for the differences and variations, and you might surprise yourself and find you really like something you always thought you wouldn't.

You can resell easily on the CMP forum, or try your luck with the market here or on Gunbroker, etc. The big danger is that you'll find yourself unable to sell any of them, and end up with six or eight or twenty. "Screw it, the kids can work their way through college waiting tables."

If you look at the bore pictures of that rifle, you can see the bore is badly worn. The lands and grooves should have sharp, square edges.

That worn bore is the typical result of shooting lots of corrosive ammo, followed by inadequate cleaning. (Korean ammo is corrosive.)

You see a lot of Mosin barrels like that.

Feb 28, 2013
    While it would be cool to have a rifle with character, it seems like if you want to use it the original character would slowly get diluted by the modern dings.

If it is true that service grade is fairly consistent in quality that would get me close enough to owning an icon of history while being very "serviceable".

Thank you all for your help.

Nah. I wouldn't worry about that. A gun's history can never be "diluted".:)

GunnyHwy

Oct 18, 2007
    Howard County
    I have bought about 20 Garands from the CMP over the last 11 years. Most have been field grades. I have been truly disappointed once.

The CMP has only had a 4 year supply left for the last 10 years.:)

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    I have bought about 20 Garands from the CMP over the last 11 years. Most have been field grades. I have been truly disappointed once.

Ha, yeah, it's true! Now they're saying 18 month supply, so maybe it really is 4 years now.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

Ha, yeah, it's true! Now they're saying 18 month supply, so maybe it really is 4 years now.

Yeah but they've been down to a two year supply for the last four years.

And now they're down to 18 months or so!

Better order QUICK!

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl

Lew--Ranger63

Lew,

I would like one decent IHC and Winchester. Hook me up Lew!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom