• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • letmeoutpax

Nov 12, 2013
    St. Mary's
    I do not have the money for it, but with CMP Garands tapering off, I figured I better get one this year. A friend was unhappy with the field grade he got in 2014, so I wanted to get the latest scoop on how field and service grade rifles look these days. I would have a reason to swing by Port Clinton this year (only 3-4 hours RT out of the way), but the reports about in store selection don't sound good.

As an alternative, how much of a premium do you pay for shooter quality via private sales? Just as an example, and I don't plan to bid, what is your opinion of this rifle:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=538061633

How much do you think it will go for?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Check the CMP Forums for the reports on the latest mail order rifles.

I got a Field Grade during the 2014 National Match that is really nice. The racks were empty for most of that week, and then all of the sudden, they restocked the morning we were to leave. I was not planning to buy anything, but the Field Grades were nice, so I had to make an impulse purchase.

As for current rifles, some of my friends bought Field and Service Grades in 2015 and they all looked nice.

Expect to pay a premium of $100-200 over CMP price for the same rifle on the open market. Since the CMP raised their price in the past year or so, it has closed the gap. Of course, certain Field and Service Grades can command higher premiums, such as 60's rebuilds or if they have rare parts. USMC rebuilds are desirable regardless of whether they're untouched since rebuild.

Don't get too hung up on TE/ME readings on CMP guns. New in wrap USGI barrels can gauge as high as 3.5 on the TE.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    It depends on what you'd want--a shooter or a pretty worn rifle with a bunch of WWII parts and history? If it's the former get a Special Grade. If it's the latter, roll the dice on a mail order or make the drive. Even if you're disappointed you can still sell it for what you have into it.

Typically, the selection is better at Anniston than Camp Perry just because that's where the rifles are stored and they have to be trucked up to Ohio, but AL is pretty far away and I've been to the South Store when they didn't have anything.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    BTW, if you want to get one on the open market, the classifieds section on the CMP Forums is a good place to go. Prices are way better than Gunbroker and there are a lot of run of the mill CMP rifles.

Here is my 2014 Field Grade.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=156611
    P10100012_zpsad97356b.jpg

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I do not have the money for it, but with CMP Garands tapering off, I figured I better get one this year. A friend was unhappy with the field grade he got in 2014, so I wanted to get the latest scoop on how field and service grade rifles look these days. I would have a reason to swing by Port Clinton this year (only 3-4 hours RT out of the way), but the reports about in store selection don't sound good.

As an alternative, how much of a premium do you pay for shooter quality via private sales? Just as an example, and I don't plan to bid, what is your opinion of this rifle:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=538061633

How much do you think it will go for?

I think it will go for near the buy now price or the buy now price.

It's not as nice as one's I've seen for sale in the classifieds here, for less, in my opinion.

Doug33w

Aug 22, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    A buddy of mine bought a field grade Garand 2 years ago and to be honest I like it more than my special grade. His looks like it's been well used and has a ton of character. I do like my rifle a lot but it is tempting to another with more character! I'd say buy what you can afford from CMP or keep your eyes out on-line for a good deal.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    I got a field grade a few years ago with an undersized op rod piston, so the rifle is basically singleshot. SOme day I will send it in and get a new piston welded on.

If you want a shooter, get a service grade. My service grade SA is pretty bitching.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I got a field grade a few years ago with an undersized op rod piston, so the rifle is basically singleshot. SOme day I will send it in and get a new piston welded on.

If you want a shooter, get a service grade. My service grade SA is pretty bitching.

If you contact CMP, they will cover return shipping and swap it out for good parts.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    You know one thing that hasn't been said here yet is that if you do all the little paperwork things CMP asked for and send off the order form, a FedEx truck shows up at your house with an iconic rifle from an iconic time--when arguably America was at its best. No FFLs or anything, just a rifle showing up at your house from a 100 year-old organization, created by TR himself. With that gun will be a certificate with the serial number of your rifle and your name.

I may be a sentimental dude, but that's pretty cool.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Tomorrow I'll post some pic of a field grade I got a couple months ago. I like it But basically I'd spend the extra $100 or so for a service grade.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That gunbroker rifle is a shot-out Korean import mixmaster. Run away!

Service Grades these days are apparently often rebuilt and refinished with new stocks, producing a very nice rifle.

Field Grades have a lot more "character", more wear, been there done that look. They won't have new stocks!

I like both of my Field Grades. Both have muzzle and throat numbers that fall in Service Grade range, and both are good shooters. Both have unmarked birch replacement stocks: old stocks, probably 50 or 60 years old. Both have a lot of "character".

Best thing is to buy three of each, just to be safe.

But don't wait too long: the end may be in sight.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    That gunbroker rifle is a shot-out Korean import mixmaster. Run away!

Service Grades these days are apparently often rebuilt and refinished with new stocks, producing a very nice rifle.

Field Grades have a lot more "character", more wear, been there done that look. They won't have new stocks!

I like both of my Field Grades. Both have muzzle and throat numbers that fall in Service Grade range, and both are good shooters. Both have unmarked birch replacement stocks: old stocks, probably 50 or 60 years old. Both have a lot of "character".

Best thing is to buy three of each, just to be safe.

But don't wait too long: the end may be in sight.

My recent field grade has a lot more character than some of my service grades. But all my service grades shoot better. I like my field grade but as a shooter it's not as good.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Do you say it's shot out because they didn't mention the muzzle or throat measurements?

And is there a way for rifles loaned to allies to enter the market here besides going through CMP?

The Korean imports are notorious for being shot out or damaged from aggressive use of steel cleaning rods. That one has been freshly parkerized, so it's one of the ones that the importer refinished to look nicer.

Technically no if loaned, at least not legally. The State Dept has final say with regards to importing former US property weapons, even if no longer owned by the US government. They may also write off loaned weapons to the loaning country as in-kind aid. That's essentially what happened with the most recent attempt at importing M1's from the ROK. They wanted to sell them to raise money to buy more modern weapons, there was initially disagreement over whether they actually owned them, and the US government wrote it off to them as in-kind aid. Then, at the last minute, the State Dept revoked their approval for importation because "weapons of war" might "end up on the streets."

Century Arms got in a little bit of trouble in 2007 when the Guatemalans sold them M1's that were on loan.
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/wikileaks-secret-cables-detail-delray-firms-role-i/nLxsM/

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If you look at the bore pictures of that rifle, you can see the bore is badly worn. The lands and grooves should have sharp, square edges.

Back in the '80s, tens of thousands of Garands and M1 Carbines were imported from Korea by companies like BLUE SKY and Federal Ordnance. They sold them out of barrels in Woolworths for cheap cheap cheap.

These imports have a bad reputation, not entirely deserved. I got a Carbine for $175 that's a good shooter, but the BLUE SKY import stamp will always hurt the value. This gunbroker Garand has a Federal Ordnance stamp on the barrel. Note that these could be rebarreled and the import stamp would disappear, but would it be worth it?

Anyway, that rifle is obviously not "correct". I didn't bother looking at the drawing numbers, but the trigger guard is too early and the sights and gas cylinder lock are post war. Not to mention the weird (Asian?) stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom