• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    From the MD Fishing Facebook page:
    While surveying for largemouth bass on 7/30, the Tidal Bass Program caught this northern snakehead in a small cove of the Susquehanna Flats. This is the first confirmed report of a snakehead reaching the upper Chesapeake Bay. On the western shore of Maryland's Chesapeake Bay, the species has been caught in Potomac River, Patuxent River, Rhode River, and Patapsco River. The fish was skinny, a male, and had nothing in its gut. It was caught in a thick patch of Hydrilla. Earlier this week, MD DNR also received a report from an angler who had caught another snakehead in this area. People who capture snakeheads are encouraged to harvest the animal to slow their spread and minimize their impact to Maryland's natural resources. It is not certain whether the species is reproducing in the upper Chesapeake Bay.

Attachments

• 11813260_881611535253068_8705523532191896806_n.jpg
      11813260_881611535253068_8705523532191896806_n.jpg
      38.4 KB · Views: 776

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    I've been wanting to catch one for a while now... Might have to start fishing that area more.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    IIRC Delaware offers a bounty on them. I'd suddenly become interested in fishing if I could be pulling cash out of the water instead of stinky fish :D

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Snakeheads are now past the Great Falls of the Potomac --- They skirted the Falls by migrating up the C&O Canal and thru outlet drains to the river.

Fire ants are reported to be at the doorstep of Southern Maryland.

glock9mm

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2011
    Ceciltucky!
    Damn that's where I fish! I never thought they would make it up this far. I guess I'll do my part and see how many of those bastards I can kill!:D

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    meh, give them time... they'll walk over y'all's way... I found one here in Crofton, in my front yard a couple years ago, dead. Never knew if he walked here, or got carried, post-mortem by a dog

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Although this is not exactly good news, we all knew it was coming. The upside is they're very fun to fight/catch and taste good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom