• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Short version:

A woman who legally owns a handgun takes it with her on her home maid service jobs. She was in a car collision that required medical transport. The police took her gun for safe keeping.

Due to Colorado's new laws, the police are not allowed to return it even though they want to. The law requires an FFL to handle the transaction and they don't have one in their ranks. :rolleyes:

Someone with a brain finally figured out they could do it through a shop with an FFL, but based on the wording of this article, that still hasn't been done. How this is not an infringement I'll never understand.

http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/...woman-cant-get-her-gun-back-thanks-to-new-law

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    I'm not sure if it was already a law here or a proposed one but I think if your guns are seized for domestic violence they want to make you get a background check to get them back after you sort out the DV stuff. Moral of the story, if you're a gun owner keep the peace at home, lol.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Stupid, stupid, stupid! She never voluntarily transferred the firearm to them; rather they seized it from her - perhaps unlawfully? Here is the problem . . . "We had an opinion from our city attorney and district attorney not to return firearms without a (Federal Firearms License) check . . ." Total BS. Give the damn pistol back to her as the rightful owner and stop wringing your hands over doing the obviously correct thing just b/c some a**hole in the legislature has you running scared. Does any one think the pistol doesn't right fully belong to this woman? Eff'in morons. All of them. This is what we have allowed this country to become - over ridden by eff'in morons to stupid to to make a decision without asking someone else if its okay.:sad20:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    IIRC, in MD you have to go thru a NICS check before your firearm will be released to you if it's seized or held for "safe-keeping".

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Stupid, stupid, stupid! She never voluntarily transferred the firearm to them; rather they seized it from her - perhaps unlawfully? Here is the problem . . . "We had an opinion from our city attorney and district attorney not to return firearms without a (Federal Firearms License) check . . ." Total BS. Give the damn pistol back to her as the rightful owner and stop wringing your hands over doing the obviously correct thing just b/c some a**hole in the legislature has you running scared. Does any one think the pistol doesn't right fully belong to this woman? Eff'in morons. All of them. This is what we have allowed this country to become - over ridden by eff'in morons to stupid to to make a decision without asking someone else if its okay.:sad20:

Agreed. She is the lawful owner. It wasn't taken because she comitted a crime. This is where the officers need to remember their oath to uphold the Constituition.

This is the kind of situation where I think Fiora will be the best choice for CC sheriff.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    IIRC, in MD you have to go thru a NICS check before your firearm will be released to you if it's seized or held for "safe-keeping".

I am surprised MD doesn't require you to go through a background check before you can take your gun out of the safe. Plan your range trip 8 days in advance.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    And if you have a gun on consignment at a gunshop and take it back you get a background check too.

I can understand a NICS check if you transfer it to a shop on consignment and then go back to recover it a few months later. That's a voluntary transfer. And I can understand if it is lawfully seized (:sad20: I had trouble typing that) upon an arrest that gets sorted out later. But when taken involuntarily for "safe keeping" after an accident? No way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom