• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • W.Coyote

MDS Supporter
    May 30, 2013
    Kingsville (Hazzard County)
    Thinking of adding another .380 to the mix before the 1 Oct end of the world. I'm looking for a SA/DA in a small frame. The Ruger LCPs and some of the other pocket pistols are nice but I really don't care for the DAO feature. Just a personal issue where I hate the long pull of DAO. Any suggestions?

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Sig 938 fits the bill right?

The 938 is the 9mm version of the Sig P238.

The P238 is a very nice .380 pistol, but it is SA only, not SA/DA. Nevertheless, it has a good thumb safety and a somewhat heavy trigger pull (but with no creep) so AD's should be of no concern. It's basically a miniature 1911, without the grip safety.

Another thing I like about the P238 is they come with tritium night sights STANDARD.

Last edited:

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    The Walther PPK/S is the classic definition of what you describe. I have one. They are now hard to find.

Bersa Thunder is a cheaper knockoff.

Sig P232 is another version of the PPK/S. The Sig P238 isn't DA/SA, and is a small 1911 format, like the Colt Mustang.

The CZ 83 also would fit the bill, except it is discontinued.

I think you are going to find that the very small .380's are not DA/SA.

The ones I've cited above are all blowback actions, and all are steel framed. They have some weight, significantly more weight than the mouse sized LCP and the cousins in various brands. The PPK/S is substantially smaller than the M&P 9mm full size, but is the same weight due to the poly frame on the M&P.

That weight is useful in shooting, in helping handle recoil. Blowbacks are somewhat snappy, and the weight is a help with that.

I really love my PPK/S, but I'll also tell you they are machined to very tight tolerances, and need some serious breaking in time and patience. At least 250 rounds minimum and a half dozen cleanings before it becomes dependable in cycling rounds, and twice that at 500 rounds is more likely what is needed. If you go this route, do not be upset with early experience, because it is normal and does smooth out.

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    One more thing on the PPK/S...

With the blowback design, the barrel is welded to the frame. When you are on your game, this pistol will reward you with shot placement you could cover with a silver dollar at 10 yards.

But understand the sights are microscopic in size, and the sight radius is short. If there is any flaw in your game, you will spray shots badly and be happy to hit paper. Mistakes are magnified.

With such a short sight radius, I don't think this is suitable to shoot back at the 25 yard line. I've never tried, but I'd venture you would have to be pretty proficient as well as on your game. I mention this, because depending where you shoot, you may be more limited on target ranges.

The other thing to know is this pistol really flings the spent brass quite a distance. 8 feet on the short side, and every bit of 15 feet on the long side. If you shoot at a range with open sides between the lanes, you will want to be careful not to crowd anyone to your right.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    With all the small 9mm's around, why would you want a .380? The ammo is expensive, and not as available as 9mm, plus it's a marginal defensive round. Furthermore, all of the SMALL .380's I'm aware of will be available after 10/1. I know that Beretta made a hi-cap .380, but for its size, it made no sense. Good luck.

Peartree

May 25, 2013
    Mt Airy
    I have a Bersa Thunder 380 and the wife has the CC version. Both work well right out of the box. Fun to shoot and accurate not to mention the price was right.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    If it doesn't have to be tiny and you can find one, Browning BDA.

That was one of the few .380's I owned that was fun to shoot at the range.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Colt Govt. .380

This is not mine, but I love mine. SA/DA. Not too tiny. All metal. Sexy. Holds its value.

Attachments

• Colt 380.jpg
      Colt 380.jpg
      35.2 KB · Views: 88

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads