• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • solarpower44

Feb 2, 2016
    Glenelg MD
    Anybody into Japanese swords.
    I just love the shape, the grain and the temper line.
    I Think they are beautiful as art objects.

Here is my latest arrival from Japan, an old girl from 1450s by Kanenori from Mikawa

Attachments

• 08D7743E-BFFC-41D5-BFF0-5396A342E34B.jpg
      08D7743E-BFFC-41D5-BFF0-5396A342E34B.jpg
      115.6 KB · Views: 587

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    ever since the Kailash blades I , too have been looking into Katana swords. Kailash claims they can make one out of 5160. The ones like yours are so damn expensive. Saw blades from 1700's and 1800's for like 13k or more. I love the great pedigree and the different houses. I am looking into ones that are modern but built in certain styles. The ones with the clay tempering and the many hamon patterns.

http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/hamonpatterns.html

Be careful if you decide to read into the different periods and styles. I spent a whole night until 5:30AM . I was not disappointed and not unhappy I got no sleep. Then I got into how and what happened to the original Damascus recipe, etc. No sleep for two days. lolol.

WORTH EVERY MINUTE!!!!!

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    That is beautiful.
    What is the ballpark value of something like that? At over 660 years old, I would think it would be buying new a car.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I have one I bought off Amazon. Clay tempered T10 steel supposedly. It’s all the katana I need.

77167-F07-1420-4567-9028-71-C0-A504-ABEC.jpg

solarpower44

Feb 2, 2016
    Glenelg MD
    ever since the Kailash blades I , too have been looking into Katana swords. Kailash claims they can make one out of 5160. The ones like yours are so damn expensive. Saw blades from 1700's and 1800's for like 13k or more. I love the great pedigree and the different houses. I am looking into ones that are modern but built in certain styles. The ones with the clay tempering and the many hamon patterns.

http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/hamonpatterns.html

Be careful if you decide to read into the different periods and styles. I spent a whole night until 5:30AM . I was not disappointed and not unhappy I got no sleep. Then I got into how and what happened to the original Damascus recipe, etc. No sleep for two days. lolol.

WORTH EVERY MINUTE!!!!!

I know what you mean. It’s very fascinating history of forging and tempering in different era, providence and schools

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Impress ive blades. I have wanted one for years, nothing like feeling 500 years of history in your hands. I have been shifting my collection from guns to blades lately...………..I have missed out on several nice EDO period blades recently at pricey but reasonable prices.

I need to learn a LOT more before I jump in.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Absolutely gorgeous katana! I am very fascinated by Nihonto but know absolutely zero about this area of collecting.

This week I received a tanto from a coworker who had inherited it from his grandfather but had zero interest in it. It’s signed Bishu-Ju Yasumitsu and looks quite old. I posted it on Nihonto Message Boards and the replies thus far have suggested it is Koto period which to me is extremely exciting. Just have to decide if I want to shell out the coin for a good full polish on it now.

solarpower44

Feb 2, 2016
    Glenelg MD
    Absolutely gorgeous katana! I am very fascinated by Nihonto but know absolutely zero about this area of collecting.

This week I received a tanto from a coworker who had inherited it from his grandfather but had zero interest in it. It’s signed Bishu-Ju Yasumitsu and looks quite old. I posted it on Nihonto Message Boards and the replies thus far have suggested it is Koto period which to me is extremely exciting. Just have to decide if I want to shell out the coin for a good full polish on it now.

Full polish is expensive but basic polish is enough to see the beauty of the blade and it’s cheap. The last time I had it done it was only $200 at aoijapan

solarpower44

Feb 2, 2016
    Glenelg MD
    Speaking of Katana's what are everyone's thoughts on the various certifications out there.

The changes in levels and different organizations are really confusing. I passed on a edo Hozon signed blade a while back and regret it.

https://www.japaneseswordindex.com/origami.htm

From what I understand older NBTHK shinsa prior to 1980were not done well and often incorrectly assessed by less qualified individuals. Thus many with the older certifications were resubmitted for newer certificates I think if a sword has nbthk Hozon ,Tokubetsu Hozon,or Juyo it should be solid

solarpower44

Feb 2, 2016
    Glenelg MD
    Impress ive blades. I have wanted one for years, nothing like feeling 500 years of history in your hands. I have been shifting my collection from guns to blades lately...………..I have missed out on several nice EDO period blades recently at pricey but reasonable prices.

I need to learn a LOT more before I jump in.

I need to warn you that Nihonto is an expensive hobby and very addicting

Mag Dump

May 31, 2017
    Frederick, MD Region
    Anybody into Japanese swords.
    I just love the shape, the grain and the temper line.
    I Think they are beautiful as art objects.

Here is my latest arrival from Japan, an old girl from 1450s by Kanenori from Mikawa

With your interest in Japanese swords, you should consider training with them. Learning to use them properly will take your passion to the next level.

I trained with this group for a few years and the knowledge and skill of the senior folks is world class. Link: http://www.capitalareabudokai.org/index.php?page=4

Folks there also know a lot about collecting. A deep pool of varied knowledge there.

Train safe and good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom