• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Not happy with NRA right now either. And......once gain extended membership on the latest appeal, as I've always done.

One statement in OP's text sums things up for me.

"I’m on board with helping to steer the NRA rather than bash it."

In some ways, I equate my relationship with the NRA to a relationship that one might have with their kid.

Cuz in many ways, it's that personal. And it's no doubt exasperating as all hell at times.

Steer yes. But no, not yet ready to disown.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    You're rather they worked for an utterly impossible to achieve utopia, and in losing that pointless fight, you got far, far worse infringements than you'd otherwise have wound up with? This isn't happening in a vacuum. Most of your fellow citizens want you to lose your guns. Purity tests in the face of guaranteed losses and failure here in the real world are worse than pointless. Did you read his account of what was brewing legislatively immediately after Parkland? If you don't want someone trying to minimize the infringements that come from an atmosphere like that, then what you end up with instead is maximum infringements. Does that suck? Yes. Is it real? Definitely yes.

You're presuming that we would have lost if the NRA put their full force into the state of Maryland? They have beat down other states where it's considered anti 2A. Why is it that all of these other states get their money and support while Marylander's 2A right crumble to what can only be described as a privilege?

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    The dems will abolish our rights as soon as they have the Congress and the presidency. They even brag about enlarging the Supreme Court to be able to uphold gun bans and abolishing the Second Amendment. The NRA is not our enemy. Let's stick together.

OverTheTop

Mar 1, 2017
    Baltimore City
    Very enlightening. I think everyone should recognize that big wins, like repealing Hughes or the NFA, take a lot of roadwork to accomplish. The NRA is the best organization right now to carry out the road work. Even if you prefer other orgs you should still be a member of the NRA, no reason to put all your eggs in one basket.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Guess who is involved in the Malpasso right to carry case that is currently in the Fourth Circuit? That case challenges the "good and substantial reason" requirement imposed by Maryland. Hint: MSI would have but couldn't have possibly afforded the cost of these elite plaintiffs' lawyers. Here is the brief in the 4th Circuit. It is excellent.

:thumbsup:

This is why it’s important for us to promote every avenue possible. The ultimate delight for gun grabbers must be for them to read about gun owners bashing the NRA or other gun rights group of your choice.

WE NEED TO PULL TOGERTHER OR WE’RE GOING TO LOSE. It’s a simple as that. Cities and states are turning purple/blue, we are being VASTLY outspent by our opponents, they have the educational system and media on their side. Politicians looking for favorable air time are too happy to waltz along with the latest anti trend.

We really need to be united right now, in what could be Trump’s only term, so we can get as much done as possible. How many antis are divided? They almost to a single individual vote en bloc towards the ultimate end of banning civilian ownership of guns. Support whoever you can and want on the gun issue but at least put on a united front instead of providing the antis with fuel to their argument that even members disagree with the NRA.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I'm not here to argue, but in the past 30 years, what has the NRA done for Maryland firearm owners?

Working to minimize infringements is not what I want from the NRA.

NRA can only do so much when you have so many damn liberals voting in liberals and they write laws in such a way that challenging them can be tricky. MDs 2nd amendment groups sure have not done a lot to change the hearts and minds since most of Dimwits get re-elected. Hell even if Hogan grew a pair and vetoed crap MGA can over ride without sweating it.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    NRA can only do so much when you have so many damn liberals voting in liberals and they write laws in such a way that challenging them can be tricky. MDs 2nd amendment groups sure have not done a lot to change the hearts and minds since most of Dimwits get re-elected. Hell even if Hogan grew a pair and vetoed crap MGA can over ride without sweating it.

I'm not interested in the NRA trying to change the minds of the Demwits in this state. The NRA should have been in the courts fighting for our rights since 1984. When have they spent any time fighting against the tyrannical laws that have been passed? I hear all of the time how they go to court against so many other states, but I'm terribly disappointed in their involvement here in Maryland.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    You're presuming that we would have lost if the NRA put their full force into the state of Maryland? They have beat down other states where it's considered anti 2A. Why is it that all of these other states get their money and support while Marylander's 2A right crumble to what can only be described as a privilege?

Occam I believe is talking about Federally.

If nothing else to take away from the article is the reality of how the legislature works and is currently made up. His explanation of bump stocks is clear. Everyone currently is in a uproar about bump stocks. When you read how the political "sausage" is being made the reality is bump stocks were getting banned. Either done via executive order that will be easily litigated or via legislative which will be much harder to litigate. Either way they were being banned. When you can accept that fact the rest comes into focus. Those who cannot and still stay "not another inch" aren't accepting the reality of the situation we are all in.

This has been argued on here over and over. Facts are the majority of the country on gun rights is center left. We all know why that is and its only going to get worse if we cannot change the message. The current message isn't getting out. There is no argument anyone was going to make to fight the fact over 80% of the polling stated bump stocks should be banned. 80% is a poll number that politicians are going to follow without blinking.

Trump knew what he was doing because the political savvy DC lobbyists and pollsters knew it was going to be worse if he proceed in a different fashion.

It doesn't explain why the NRA supports democrat politicians...That is the biggest problem I have with them. In my opinion the only reason to do so is to ensure there are enough gun control bills that the NRA continues to receive big $$ from their members. The end goal should be to repeal every single gun control laws at all levels of government and make the 2A the only gun law in the land. It looks to me like the NRA wants to keep gun control alive and well so that the NRA remains relevant.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    There are some Dem politicians who are not anti-2A. NRA should support them, IMO.

I don't think NRA is at all interested in keeping gun control alive for nefarious reasons. Every pro-2A group has a path to follow, and it's important that they follow differing routes to get to the desired destination. If you disagree with NRA, put your support elsewhere, but please don't undermine the efforts of those who have similar goals to yours, but who go about getting there in a direction you don't support.

We need everyone in this fight. We don't need to eat our own; that's what Democrats are doing.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    It doesn't explain why the NRA supports democrat politicians...That is the biggest problem I have with them. In my opinion the only reason to do so is to ensure there are enough gun control bills that the NRA continues to receive big $$ from their members. The end goal should be to repeal every single gun control laws at all levels of government and make the 2A the only gun law in the land. It looks to me like the NRA wants to keep gun control alive and well so that the NRA remains relevant.
    There are a lot of dem politicians who are on the fence when it comes to 2A. Money talks in politics. You identify the dems who may be swayed to vote in favor of 2A, wine and dine them, give them some contributions, and buy their vote.

There are some Dem politicians who are not anti-2A. NRA should support them, IMO.

I don't think NRA is at all interested in keeping gun control alive for nefarious reasons. Every pro-2A group has a path to follow, and it's important that they follow differing routes to get to the desired destination. If you disagree with NRA, put your support elsewhere, but please don't undermine the efforts of those who have similar goals to yours, but who go about getting there in a direction you don't support.

We need everyone in this fight. We don't need to eat our own; that's what Democrats are doing.

You don't understand how politics works in DC and Annapolis if you believe there is such a thing as a pro 2A democrat. Sure, they will talk the talk, but when pushed by their leadership they ALWAYS cave. ALWAYS...The NRA endorsed Joe Manchin, Senator from WV. He was one of the co sponsors for the revamped Assault Weapons ban back a few years ago... The NRA should not be endorsing any democrats...

As far as the NRA goals? I believe their goal is to remain in business...If it weren't for gun control they would be just another gun club teaching firearms safety and holding turkey shoots to raise money...

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I'm not interested in the NRA trying to change the minds of the Demwits in this state. The NRA should have been in the courts fighting for our rights since 1984. When have they spent any time fighting against the tyrannical laws that have been passed? I hear all of the time how they go to court against so many other states, but I'm terribly disappointed in their involvement here in Maryland.

In all wars it is about allocation of resources. Do you throw millions of dollars at a state like MD where at best you may get a 50/50 chance or do you go places where the tides have shown signs of turning like Illinois, or in states that are gun friendly and have an occasional run away state govt. Look at this state even when it elects a "Republican" governor he has a Democrat super majority in MGA where even some of the Republicans cross the aisle.

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    I know his heart is in the right place, but I'm getting tired of fighting for a right that many are now considering a privilege. I know the NRA is a force to be reckoned with, but so is a fart in church. I want the NRA in MARYLAND. I'm tired of hearing about CA, MA, NY. Just like in his message, he mentioned many states but not MD. Why is that? Why doesn't the NRA want to go to war with MD.

I have supported the NRA for years and I am a life member but I have quite often thought the same thing. Does the NRA consider Maryland a lost cause and a waste of time?

SCV/SAR Patriot

UNRECONSTRUCTED
    You don't understand how politics works in DC and Annapolis if you believe there is such a thing as a pro 2A democrat. Sure, they will talk the talk, but when pushed by their leadership they ALWAYS cave. ALWAYS...The NRA endorsed Joe Manchin, Senator from WV. He was one of the co sponsors for the revamped Assault Weapons ban back a few years ago... The NRA should not be endorsing any democrats...

As far as the NRA goals? I believe their goal is to remain in business...If it weren't for gun control they would be just another gun club teaching firearms safety and holding turkey shoots to raise money...

You have a point there, just like NRA endorsed Joe Manchin they endorsed Hogan another Democrat. They always seem to eventually cave.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

Pro-2A Dems exist. Certainly not in MD. A positive rating from NRA helps them get elected, which in the right circumstances is a good thing.

Joe Manchin is a POS, but he supported Kavanaugh. He will continue to get elected in WV because of name recognition, and his father's coattails.

Cynicism is a virtue, until it becomes counter-productive, and a hindrance to progress.

The Left would like nothing better than to destroy the NRA. If that happens, we're totally screwed.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    endorsed Hogan another Democrat

Versus endorsing no one and allowing the opposing Democrat, who will definitely sign any and all gun control laws, to win. If Hogan signs all these bills then I'll admit it maybe, that's a big maybe, doesn't matter but we have a slim chance at veto vs. no chance.

I'll take the slim chance every time because the other option is Ben Jealous would sign ban all guns bill and allow that to run through the courts for 5 years vs. what we are now going to end up running through the court system for 5 years.

The utopia of no gun laws is as realistic as the Green New Deal on their side..

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    The Left would like nothing better than to destroy the NRA. If that happens, we're totally screwed.

Right and we are destroying the NRA for them because we cannot accept that we sometimes have an unwinnable situation. One we don't understand or cannot fathom has happened.

Admitting we have a problem is the first step. One day we'll collectively take that step. Maybe.

Sadly this argument has been hashed out over and over.

SCV/SAR Patriot

UNRECONSTRUCTED
    Versus endorsing no one and allowing the opposing Democrat, who will definitely sign any and all gun control laws, to win. If Hogan signs all these bills then I'll admit it maybe, that's a big maybe, doesn't matter but we have a slim chance at veto vs. no chance.

I'll take the slim chance every time because the other option is Ben Jealous would sign ban all guns bill and allow that to run through the courts for 5 years vs. what we are now going to end up running through the court system for 5 years.

The utopia of no gun laws is as realistic as the Green New Deal on their side..

Just pointing out a little hypocrisy and the point in many cases there's not a dime's worth of difference between the "two" parties.

I get it, I get it. The lesser of two evils who many base their votes on, one I no longer cast my votes by.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    The lesser of two evils who many base their votes on, one I no longer cast my votes by.

I understand that frustration but then I'm guessing you accept that MD is going to confiscate all guns at some point? Or at least a semi-auto ban? It'll run through the court system but eventually they will do it. Without a modicum of opposition what is to stop them at all? They will hope the federal courts rule in their favor. If they don't they will have had 4 or 5 years of a 100% gun ban.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom