• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Becoming one with my M&P Shield

I'm a new shooter, but I've shot a few times before over the years. I took the NRA pistol course recently. The Shield is my first firearm I bought. As was taught in the course and by others, I use the pad of my finger on the trigger. I was shooting all over the place. I had irritatingly little accuracy with the shield. I do fine for a beginner with other pistols.

Today I did something differen and "wrong." I used my first knuckle on the trigger and had pleasing results.

I need to shoot more to see if that is a fluke or just what I need to do with this gun. Could it be the thinness of the gun? And I a freak? Both? ;)

UPDATE: I guess the real question is "Is it ok to do something 'the wrong way' like this if it returns positive results?"

Last edited:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Here's my opinion -

These guys that state that you HAVE TO shoot in a particular way, need to realize that what works for ONE, may NOT work for all.

Case in point.....
    That 'new-fangled' thumbs forward, isosceles grip with your left wrist cranked down grasp/stance does NOT work for me!!!

You aim the muzzle towards the target.... NOT your thumbs!!!!!

Now, you let me use the Weaver Stance, or Modified Weaver Stance, and I'll shoot good groups in/near the 'kill zone'.

The whole 'secret' to shooting is CONSISTENCY and breath control, sight alignment, trigger squeeze, and follow-through.
    Repeat as necessary to achieve the desired results.

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    The only thing that matters is shot placement. Do whatever works for you so that you can hit the target with great consistency. Techniques go in and out of fashion, so you have to do what works for you.

If you can't be accurate with consistency, then a course with a reputable instructor is very helpful.

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    I'm a new shooter, but I've shot a few times before over the years. I took the NRA pistol course recently. The Shield is my first firearm I bought. As was taught in the course and by others, I use the pad of my finger on the trigger. I was shooting all over the place. I had irritatingly little accuracy with the shield. I do fine for a beginner with other pistols.

Today I did something differen and "wrong." I used my first knuckle on the trigger and had pleasing results.

I need to shoot more to see if that is a fluke or just what I need to do with this gun. Could it be the thinness of the gun? And I a freak? Both? ;)

UPDATE: I guess the real question is "Is it ok to do something 'the wrong way' like this if it returns positive results?"
    I agree with Byf43; do what works for you (bearing in mind that I shoot thumbs forward, iso, with my wrists cranked down). For me specifically, I cannot shoot as fast, nor as accurately when I pull the trigger above the pad of my finger. I have also seen the level of error increase when I am moving (using the first knuckle). Just one panda's opinion.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    First knuckle is fine for pistol, using the pad pushes the pistol left if you're right handed. Use the pad if you're shooting a rifle for precision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom