• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Tulammo quality totally depends on whether you get Tula or Uly. Tula's kind of trashy in general, but Ulyanovsk churns out decent stuff.

Barnaul makes some pretty reasonable 223, though. I chrono'd some yesterday, and even the 62gr was cranking along at > 3000 fps with pretty reasonable SDs.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Tulammo quality totally depends on whether you get Tula or Uly. Tula's kind of trashy in general, but Ulyanovsk churns out decent stuff.

Barnaul makes some pretty reasonable 223, though. I chrono'd some yesterday, and even the 62gr was cranking along at > 3000 fps with pretty reasonable SDs.

Yeah my general results for Tula in most calibers from all my guns is pretty much "it'll cycle the gun". Sometimes it'll hit the target, sometimes it won't.

Wolf can be a bit hit or miss depending on who ended up making it for them. But I've generally had pretty good success with them. Really bad lots of Wolf is more of an exception than a rule, like it is with Tula. Barnaul generally seems decent, but never anything outstanding.

Example, the best Tula I have is 9mm Makarov, which is about the same as the Brown Bear and Silver Bear as well as Wolf Makarov (about coffee can at 12yds. Geco brass cased Makarov ammo and Hornady Critical Defense both manage coffee mug sized groups at 12yds as a comparison).

I've tried several lots and weight/design of Tula .223, 7.62x39, .308 and 9mm. .223 the best I've ever gotten has grouped about 5MOA out of my precision 20" AR. About the same for my SKS for x39. .308 I can get 4.5MOA out of my Sako. My glock and P1 group about dinner plate sized at 12yds. those are best cases. I've had a lot of Tula .223 that was only able to put up 8MOA before.

In comparison Wolf and Barnaul (Brown/Silver bear I only have in 9mm) most of the lots manage around 3.5-4MOA for .223 and 3MOA in my SKS for x39. Though Wolf Mil Classic (I have 5 different lots and I've tested all of them) manages about 1.5MOA out of my SKS. So, yay! .308 manages around 3MOA out of my Sako. And my Glock and P1 can put up coffee can sized groups at 12yds with both.

So I basically avoid Tula like the plague. I don't need super accurate ammo, but I mostly can't shoot things other than paper. So somewhat decent accuracy is nice. Be another thing if I was maybe shooting bowling pins at 50yds or something and 5MOA is probably okay, or shooting a plate rack at 12yds with my glock.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

"stupid expensive Mitutoyo calipers," that he taps on the other precision instrument and later uses as a pokie stick :rolleye12

I've got some ZQI. I might pull one or two.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Yeah, I watched his video. 18 minutes of my life that I'll never get back. Y'all - don't waste your time watching this dreck.

Weighing the powder from one pulled cartridge of various brands has absolutely no redeeming value for comparison purposes. Neither is measuring one or two pulls from each box. Measuring one pulled bullet at .3065 and implying they're all that way is way wrong. Moreover, blending powder types is common IF YOU ARE A COMMERCIAL AMMUNITION MANUFACTURER. Obviously you should not do that at home.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I've shot 1000's of rounds of MKE (ZQI) and have found that it shoots exactly the same as all other NATO 7.62x51.....which is exactly what it is. I still have 1000's of rounds of the stuff and expect that I will be just as happy with the rest of it.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I've shot 1000's of rounds of MKE (ZQI) and have found that it shoots exactly the same as all other NATO 7.62x51.....which is exactly what it is. I still have 1000's of rounds of the stuff and expect that I will be just as happy with the rest of it.

Shoot it with confidence.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

100% this.

I put it both through my 7.62 Oviedo conversion and my FAL with zero issues just like any other NATO 7.62x51mm ammo. No issues with groupings, no issues with function. In fact, the only thing I don't like about it is the fact that I have to swage the primer pocket to remove the crimp before reloading because IT IS NATO AMMO....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom