• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Any idea what brand? I mean, it can be the cheapest SOB ever, but I just want to know what to look for. :D

Edit: Can't justify the 03 or 17 under the current circumstances. Already shot a big wad on several other firearms. Until private schools get back up and running to at least 50% in my region, I've gotta be somewhat frugal.

Spend your money (200) on ammo for the m1.
    You can pick up the other rifles when they become available. They made a ton of them and with few exceptions are not rare.
    After you get an ammo stash, you'll need a good sling and some spare enblocs.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Any idea what brand? I mean, it can be the cheapest SOB ever, but I just want to know what to look for. :D

Edit: Can't justify the 03 or 17 under the current circumstances. Already shot a big wad on several other firearms. Until private schools get back up and running to at least 50% in my region, I've gotta be somewhat frugal.

One is a remington 770, the other 2 that I have been watching are Savage Axis one with a wood stock and scope the other with just a synthetic stock. I found them on brickseek.

Actually the Rem770 just dropped to $54 at a store near me, so I am going to try and go get it today.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    One is a remington 770, the other 2 that I have been watching are Savage Axis one with a wood stock and scope the other with just a synthetic stock. I found them on brickseek.

Actually the Rem770 just dropped to $54 at a store near me, so I am going to try and go get it today.

Wait, what? Is that a typo - fifty four dollars??

And here I was looking at a sporterized M1917 for 300...

(Hey, tallen - that's at United if you're interested in something along those lines)

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Wait, what? Is that a typo - fifty four dollars??

And here I was looking at a sporterized M1917 for 300...

(Hey, tallen - that's at United if you're interested in something along those lines)

Apparently the Walmart in Leesburg has a Axis II for $75% off. Going to call and see if that's the case. If not, I'll look at the sportered 1917 as that's the cheapest option locally now.

D_S

Aug 22, 2018
    Hollywood
    <the Rem770 just dropped to $54 at a store near me>
    can't beat that ... I've a sporterized 03 I'd sell, but nowhere near that price..

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Apparently the Walmart in Leesburg has a Axis II for $75% off. Going to call and see if that's the case. If not, I'll look at the sportered 1917 as that's the cheapest option locally now.

That 1917 is available for sale as of today, FYI. I was (the only one) on the list for it but have decided to pass, so if you’re interested give United a call!

Echo6mike, going mobile...

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I am all for encouraging/enabling the OP (or anyone) to buy additional guns, don't get me wrong :patriot:

But, if money is tight for him right now, maybe a better solution would be to trade for known Garand safe ammo? :shrug:

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    I am all for encouraging/enabling the OP (or anyone) to buy additional guns, don't get me wrong :patriot:

But, if money is tight for him right now, maybe a better solution would be to trade for known Garand safe ammo? :shrug:

Oh fine, be all logical and practical - what are you, our wives?

:lol2:

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

Tight? Nah, just less sure of exactly what the immediate future holds. I seriously doubt that I'll face financial trouble, but I don't like to skirt things too close if I can avoid it.

Oh fine, be all logical and practical - what are you, our wives?

:lol2:

I know right?!

Well, he could just do a give away.

Give away ammo? In the current market :lol::lol::lol:

I'll spend the money on an adjustable gas plug before I do that! :D

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Here's a thought: Bring your Garand and the ammo out to a Hooligan shoot. We can bring our Garands (:secret: and we have plenty of Garand-safe ammo). We'll also bring some other rifles you can shoot your unknown 30-06 in.

And a good time would be had by all...

:D

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Here's a thought: Bring your Garand and the ammo out to a Hooligan shoot. We can bring our Garands (:secret: and we have plenty of Garand-safe ammo). We'll also bring some other rifles you can shoot your unknown 30-06 in.

And a good time would be had by all...

:D

I'm definitely game. :)

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    Commercial ammo tends to be frowned upon in Garands thanks to the free-floating firing pin Which indents primers

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Commercial ammo tends to be frowned upon in Garands thanks to the free-floating firing pin Which indents primers

Actually it's the pressure modern hunting ammo generates that can potentially damage a Garand action. With every round cycled, the op rod slams into the heel of the receiver. With over-pressure you risk bending the op rod or - even worse - cracking/breaking the receiver. There are other potential issues, but those two are foremost.

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom