• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I have been researching this cartridge and am impressed with the accuracy and history in benchrest competitions. Recently there was a video of ptarmigan hunting in Sweden using a 222 Remington on skis. It seems like a really cool cartridge, economical for reloading, and it would be a great change of pace from my usual shooting. It seems to be in production by Tikka only in the T3. Anyone have any experience with the.222 or Tikkas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Just be careful if you reload 5.56/.223 also. I bought a bulk lot of 5.56, and didn't notice that there was some .222 Rem mixed in the lot, I resized a couple of them, until one stuck in the die, luckily I already had a RCBS stuck case remover kit.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    My hunting partner has an old Remington semi in 6mm Rem. It shoots pretty well, but we don't reload.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Generally speaking, the Tikkas are nice rifles.

Regarding the .222, it IS a good a cartridge, but has been overshadowed by the .223 - same bullet diameter, same case head size, but the .223 delivers higher velocity and has the benefit of having a huge number of ammo choices. Also, I didn't bother looking up Tikka's specs, but the .222 has traditionally had a slow twist that is unsuitable for heavier bullets, while the .223 is usually had with 1:9 and faster.

The absolute precision of the .222 was extremely good, but the 22PPC and 6PPC dominated it for benchrest.

Unless you have a nostalgic bent, I'd lean toward the .223, which is easily loaded down to .222 levels. I had a Remington 660 in .222 with a 3-9x Weaver back in the day. Great little walking rifle, but I sold it due accuracy limitations and to using a more accurate rifle with the more effective .22-250 for everything.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    I recently picked up a FN Mauser single shot bench shooting action that was put together in the 60s by a gunsmith. Trigger pull is under 1lb. Im in the process of finding a stock to try it out. If you look around, theres deals to be had on older rifles in .222. Like you i like the idea of accuracy and alot of easy to find bullets.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I have and old savage in .222 Remington. Very nice rifle, and one of the most accurate rifles I own.

I love the cartridge, but as E.Shell said, in today’s world, the 223 is a much easier choice. That said, 223 brass, can easily be made into 222 brass, so if you reload, there’s always that Convenience.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    The Sako L461 Vixens are supposed to be awesome rifles. They pull a premium on GB but if you keep an eye out at gunshops, sometimes they get overlooked.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I met E. Shell at the recent Ann Dari meet up. one effn helluva good dude. Effn knows more about shiite then most people forget. I could sit and listen to him all friggin day long. Very nice and willing to share. Damn I am sour I missed his long range classes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom