• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I have a beaver issue in my pond. Free for the trapping in southrn anne arundel co. cant take busting up the dam all winter like last year.
    No it can not be shot....my sparrow is not approved yet. Maybe borrow a trap or two?
    PM is good Thanks Tim

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Is this the beaver in question?

mel_gibson_beaver.jpg

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Ed Shell has posted. I almost feel bad for the beavers. At least they'll get to die knowing it was a professional that did the job.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Ed Shell has posted. I almost feel bad for the beavers. At least they'll get to die knowing it was a professional that did the job.

ed is a shooter.. he can get them from a mile away.. LOL

he propably offered to lend him a trap too.. ;)

SungJunKim

R.I.P.
    Dec 25, 2009
    Response to Beaver

The M18A1 Claymore mine consists of a horizontally convex green plastic case (inert training versions are blue). The shape was developed through experimentation to deliver the optimum distribution of fragments at 50 m (55 yd) range. The case has the words "Front Toward Enemy" embossed on the front surface of the mine. A simple open sight on the top surface allows for aiming the mine. Two pairs of scissor legs attached to the bottom support the mine and allow it to be aimed vertically. On both sides of the sight are fuse wells set at 45 degrees.

Internally the mine contains a layer of C-4 explosive behind a matrix of about seven hundred 1⁄8-inch-diameter (3.2 mm) steel balls (about as big as #4 birdshot) set into an epoxy resin.

When the M18A1 is detonated, the explosion drives the matrix forward, out of the mine at a velocity of 1,200 m/s (3,937 ft/s),[1] at the same time breaking it into individual fragments. The steel balls are projected in a 60° fan-shaped pattern that is 6.5 feet high and 50 m (55 yd) wide at a range of 50 m (55 yd). The force of the explosion deforms the relatively soft steel balls into a shape similar to a .22 rimfire projectile.[1] These fragments are moderately effective up to a range of 100 m (110 yd), with a hit probability of around 10% on a prone man-sized 1.3-square-foot (0.12 m2) target. The fragments can travel up to 250 m (270 yd). The optimum effective range is 50 m (55 yd), at which the optimal balance is achieved between lethality and area coverage, with a hit probability of 30% on a man-sized target.

The weapon and all its accessories are carried in a bandolier. An instruction sheet for the weapon is sewn inside the cover of the bandolier.[2]

Ideally, the mine is detonated as the enemy approaches the killing zone 20 to 30 m (22 to 33 yd), where maximum casualties can be inflicted. Controlled detonation may be accomplished by use of either an electrical or non-electrical firing system. When mines are employed in the controlled role, they are treated as individual weapons and are reported in the unit fire plan. They are not reported as mines; however, the emplacing unit must ensure that the mines are removed, detonated, or turned over to a relieving unit. The M57 Firing Device (colloquially referred to as the "clacker") is included with each mine. When the mines are daisy chained together, one firing device can initiate several mines.

The mine can be detonated by any mechanism that activates the blasting cap. Field-expedient methods of detonating the mine by tripwire, or even by a timer, exist, but are rarely used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom