• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Is the common denominator that everyone is an NRA member?:innocent0

It's been rumored that Jimbo might be the only person in the history of the world to have gotten the NRA's mailing list.

MD-Dave

Jul 15, 2010
    I have never posted before, but I read this site a lot. I too received a mailer and I am not a member of the NRA. I have only done two things in Maryland that would expose my name and address to them, that I can think of. I recently took the online training course to purchase a handgun in
    Maryland, last time I bought one it was not needed, and participated in a Utah CCP Class.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    MD-Dave said:
    I have never posted before, but I read this site a lot. I too received a mailer and I am not a member of the NRA. I have only done two things in Maryland that would expose my name and address to them, that I can think of. I recently took the online training course to purchase a handgun in
    Maryland, last time I bought one it was not needed, and participated in a Utah CCP Class.

Did you happen to buy a gun in MD as well?

MD-Dave

Jul 15, 2010
    DD214 said:
    Did you happen to buy a gun in MD as well?

I did. So, make that three things. I kind of lumped that in with taking the online course since I did it at the gun store at the time of purchase.

mwelliott

May 17, 2006
    Columbia
    Has anyone asked where they got your name from? Most NPO's will tell you where they got your name. If they dont know what list they bought or rented that you were on then ask for the name of their list broker and then contact them. It is in the best interest of the list broker to have good data. When they are selling/renting/trading names that have people that dont respond or even complain looks poorly on them.

Let me know if you need any help with the list broker if you need to go that far.

jtarpley59

live free or die
    Jan 6, 2010
    Churchton
    I bought all of my guns from Chesapeake Guns on the eastern shore and Mike at mid-county other then that it has been here from the classifieds. I was a member of the NRA, but did not renew my membership this year because of money. It has to be a online store we all shop at we all tell each other about deals out there. Oh I bought a 10/22 from Bass pro about two tears ago.

Lbaucom

Jul 22, 2010
    Severn, MD
    We were suprised to see a newsletter from tripwire last week. It was unsolicited and weve never gotten it before.

Mr. Purtilo of tripwire tried to sue Delegate Dwyer years ago and was unsuccessful.
    It stemmed from Delegate Dwyer having the nerve of all things to introduce carry legislation. Mr. Purtilo asked him or told him not to- I can't imagine why.
    I think some of you know the story.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I started getting the tripwire newsletter a few years ago. They came quarterly and about a year ago they stopped. They got my info from a gun show sign up list. The same list is used to send coupons for the gun show. atleast that is what I was told. Mdeng

Cpl. Cornbeef

May 22, 2007
    Frederick
    I am wondering if someone we sent massive amounts of letters to during the last session gave him our info? Also, anyone we have sent money to via PayPal has our address.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    More than likely your name and address is on many lists for sale. If you ever bought a gun magazine subscription using a credit card then somewhere there is a list for sale that id's you as a gun nut. Same with parts, ammo, etc.

My wife gets catalogs of MMA gear because she once bought me a subscription to Black Belt magazine.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Credit card companies mine your purchases and categorize you into groups that are then shared with "certain third-parties" for sales purposes. It's in your agreement somewhere.

I get all kinds of crap all the time. I sometimes buy stuff for the company on my personal card - now I get about 10" of office catalogs a year in my personal mail box (not an exaggeration...who ever thought there was that many office toys in the world?).

I stopped fighting it. The catalogs make good backstops when stacked in a box.

But this seems more targeted. I'm sure someone is comparing notes on the backside. Just let us know the outcome - if it's a bad FFL we want to avoid them.

rifelman

Aug 7, 2008
    Calvert County
    There was a time not so long ago when the Professor and the NRA rep for MD were VERY TIGHT and the other Pro Rights groups were left out in the cold. I'd bet there is still a connection there. Some of the past NRA folks seemed to think he was the only one who knew how to move around in Annapolis.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Is the common denominator that everyone is an NRA member?:innocent0

It's been rumored that Jimbo might be the only person in the history of the world to have gotten the NRA's mailing list.

I think DD214 is on to something, but sharing the 4473 info is a no-no.

Is it plausible, the Maryland State Police is sharing regulated firearm owners data?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Here is something from the Google cache with the Maryland State Police and the tripwire news letter from facebook

Fans of HB 52: Maryland Recognition of Out of State Concealed Carry Permits I was just notified that I have received the endorsement of the Second Amendment organization "Tripwire". I will soon be posting the letter I sent to the Superintendant of State Police regarding my appeal of the use of the "good and substantial cause" standard by the Maryland State Police.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...wire+"state+police"&cd=10&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

edit: saved a copy of the cache for future reference.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Interestingly the Myguns.org is registered in Canada, and wants to remain hidden.

Registrant Name:contactprivacy.com
    Registrant Organization:Contactprivacy.com
    Registrant City:Toronto
    Registrant State/Province:ON
    Registrant Postal Code:M6K3M1
    Registrant Country:CA

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member