• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cpl. Cornbeef

May 22, 2007
    Frederick
    Need some help here. I have a chance to buy a lightly used Max HD Camo Beretta Xtrema2 with the KO or a brand new Black Xtrema2 w/KO for $100 cheaper. Is the camo worth the extra money?

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    So unless you really like camo, you are paying $100 more for a used version of the same gun?

I'd go with black...the only way I'd buy it in camo is if it was deeply discounted, but if you like the pattern, you can decide if it's worth it to you.

ALBY

Jan 5, 2008
    i like black guns, but camo is the shiznit for waterfowling, especially in coffin blinds.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Camo for hunting. None of the add on camos are close to a factory job. (at least not for less than you paid for the gun) Wal-Mart has camo 11-87's for $570.

Cpl. Cornbeef

May 22, 2007
    Frederick
    It's a tough choice cause I really like the camo. I am leaning a little towards the black just because it's brand new.

Has anyone had issues with the camo chipping off?

Goose Guy

Skooma lord
    Mar 29, 2010
    People's Respublik of Maryland
    It's a tough choice cause I really like the camo. I am leaning a little towards the black just because it's brand new.

I have had my Nova in camo for a couple years now. No problems with it chipping off, but it does wear off a bit on the sharp edges from handling and being in the case. If you do get a camo gun, however, make sure you remember where you put it or lean it on a decoy. I will admit to doing this a couple times.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    The real advantage of the camo gun for hard waterfowling, outside of camo itself, is the protection it provides in a harsh environment. The camo coating is worth the extra money especially if hunting in and around salt water. A black gun will usually start showing rust during the hunt and takes a lot more maintenance attention after the hunt to ensure it doesn't rust. That doesn't mean you can just put it up after a hard hunt, but your maintenance time is significantly reduced. I've been using camo coated Benelli SBEs since they first came out and I will never go back to a black gun for waterfowling.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008

If you are really going to hardcore hunt with it, it will get chipped. It will hold up extremely well to hard use. My SBE II has chips and wear all over it. That is from 7 hard seasons of hunting and my mistake of using carb cleaner on it one time. You definitely don't want to use the harsh cleaners on it. Don't worry about chipping. This type of wear becomes the character of the gun and usually has great memories associated with it. You won't regret the camo, trust me.

Cpl. Cornbeef

May 22, 2007
    Frederick
    Thanks for the responses. I decided to go with the Black just because it was a brand new gun with the Kick Off option. It was too good of a deal to pass up and saved me about $300. I figure if it get's banged up enough I will have it professionally camo'ed later on.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    congrats.. i have the rifled version.. you'll love it!!

im still looking for a cheap regular barrel for mine so i can at least use it for trap shooting.. :)

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I camo ny black stocks myself. I use Krylon Fusion camo paints. I take a roll of masking tape and use a exacto knife to cut random shapes around the roll then I take 1/8-1/4" strips and make a pattern maybe treebark on the black stock or random weeds then I lay on a color coat. Then I add more random shares and lay on another coat. you only need 2-4 color coats and then I finish with satin clear(I have'nt found flat clear) after peeling off the tape. Finishing the metal parts is a different story I have'nt tackled yet. If I was planning a total camo job I suppose Duracote would do nicely with proper prep.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In the really easy and cheap department, use Spruce Green Crylon / DeRusto on the black stocks . Only takes slightly more nerve to paint the bbl.

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    The real advantage of the camo gun for hard waterfowling, outside of camo itself, is the protection it provides in a harsh environment. The camo coating is worth the extra money especially if hunting in and around salt water. A black gun will usually start showing rust during the hunt and takes a lot more maintenance attention after the hunt to ensure it doesn't rust. That doesn't mean you can just put it up after a hard hunt, but your maintenance time is significantly reduced. I've been using camo coated Benelli SBEs since they first came out and I will never go back to a black gun for waterfowling.

+1, i have a camo beretta xtrema2 and benelli nova i use for waterfowl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom