• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    I have thought about this awhile. So let me say this, I get that most anti-2a people do not know the ins and outs of firearms. People don’t need to be completely knowledgeable of firearms to be anti-2a. That is their opinion, but I don’t get how anti-2a organizations can ask for gun research but mislead people.

Example, Gifford Law Center has an entire page on 50 caliber rifles and machine guns. They only briefly mention federal restrictions and mention how the states need to ban machine guns. Never mention how hard it is to buy one. How expensive it is. Or the wait.

My point is, how can we expect new research to be objective? Even if it is objective, it’s just going to be spun by both sides.

I think I am in the minority, but I don’t think research into guns in this country is a bad thing. I just fear the ramifications of the research.

I would love to hear everyone’s thoughts on research and reasons behind it.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I quit listening to the left because...

"Gun Violence"

If you blame an object/tool and not the user nada will get done.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The left is not interested in a free and open discussion about anything. They have totally rejected the ideals of Classic Liberalism. They care only about power, raw power.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    . . . how can we expect new research to be objective?

The researchers at the Crime Prevention Research Center (CPRC) need the attention and support of (and spreading word by) every law abiding person within the US (gun owner or not).

OP, pretty sure all your questions - and desire for factual, objective research - can be found here: https://crimeresearch.org/

Be sure and sign on for their weekly emails, the info is empowering! :party29:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Research is fine, because the real facts favor 2A .

The problem is anti 2A twists and omissions to make the facts say something they did not. Just like over editing an interview

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I'll take a stab:

As mentioned in other replies it's about an agenda, not truth seeking. They create these pseudo-science research reports politicians quote in order to push for more gun control. Johns Hopkins, paid for by Bloomberg, has been doing this for a while and now some of their "studies" are being cited in the mainstream.

We have our research on our side too. Check out the book by John Lott "More guns, Less Crime". There's plenty others that refute with real science the anti's fake studies. The media and politicians choose whichever study they want, not what's accurate.

At the end of the day I think it comes down to the same nonsense as the BLM and antifa issue, they want a global Marxist government. They know they can't do that while we are still armed so they chip away at our rights hoping we won't notice. A bump-stock here, a machine gun there, little by little until we look like the sheep in Australia with forced locked downs and no way to fight back.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    One of the local Public Radio stations used to (maybe they still do) sponsor a segment called "Guns In America". Invariably the topics they had on the show, or the people they interviewed, were anti-2A. One of my family members used to listen to the radio station and asked me to check it out the segment on-line. After listening to a couple of segments on-line, I wrote to the radio station about their one-sided coverage and asked why they did not represent both sides of the issue. Needless to say I never got a reply from them. That's why I am always pleasantly surprised when I watch a TV news show or listen to a radio show where they actually give balanced coverage when it comes to 2A issues. This doesn't happen very often which is a shame.

Cal68

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I agree with you. I think the Republicans messed up by banning research money on gun issues.

I would much rather have seen them pass a law requiring that money for research be divided equally between gun rights and gun control organizations. I think gun rights groups would benefit from politically neutral research on gun issues, such as what the CDC could do. Let's be honest, you can't really argue with an anti-gunner and use NRA stats.

I get that they were trying to prevent funding gun control research, but I think it could be fixed.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    "Research" on gun control amounts to "Keep asking the question until you get the answer you want". That is all.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    if you took actual big picture statistics as it related to gun violence, suicide, and illegal gun use in crime, the picture would show that a lot of the argument the anti 2a groups make don't pass the sniff test.

if research time was spent on legal defensive use of firearms, that would tilt the picture even further away from the idea of 'gun control' and limiting them in America. The fact is guns in the hands of law abiding citizens are mostly a good thing that actually prevent crime. I have watched more then a few videos of someone who presents a firearm, and then a crime or altercation is stopped because of it. The other fun one is the rare news story where someone has a group of people begin to break into their house, the homeowner shoots one or more of the assailants and off they run. There is a video of a black female who had three men attempt to break into her house one morning. She got her pistol and shot the first dude through the front door, so off they all ran.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom