• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Yup. I have one on the wall now. She tasted just fine.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I've seen piebalds when not hunting. When hunting I've never seen one.

I think I'd be astonished if one was to meander close to my vicinity while hunting. I'd probably let it just go by.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Question of the day. If you had the chance to shoot a piebald or albino deer would you? Or would you just watch it run around? Would you throw all your personal size and antler restrictions to the wind? And after all of that would you mount it?

My antler restrictions or what the law says.

Beyond that...

That said I am pickier with my own place. Not real picky on public land. Though I guess these days I’d probably skip a small one or a momma with fawns early season. Unless eradication is the goal. Then if it’s brown, drop it down.

I am avoiding small bucks now. 5+ points or it walks. Which isn’t exactly massive bucks. But hey, some standards right?

But albino or piebald, yes I’d shoot one. It’s a deer, right?

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    "Shooting an albino, it's not the same as shooting regular deer. You have to pull the trigger in a different way."

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Yes. Wouldn't even think twice. Would either do a shoulder mount or just get the hide tanned for a wallhanger (not shoulder mounting a doe).

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Had an albino doe trot by me at 4 yards about 15 years ago while I was still-hunting on the ground (had a large tree blocking my profile). Came to full draw...and let her go. Scared the crap out of her when she saw me.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I wouldn't shoot an Albino deer because it is a rare genetic trait but I would shoot Piebald or Leucistic deer because they are inbred (like marrying your sister) and are weakening the herd, a recessive gene. Because we have eliminated the predators it is now up to the hunters to cull the herd of the old weak and genetically inferior to keep the gene pool strong.

Read more about them:
    https://blog.nature.org/science/201...erstanding-a-common-animal-of-uncommon-color/

Explains the genetics:
    https://www.readingeagle.com/living...cle_6d1fc3e4-e616-11ea-9326-638f46939035.html

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I wouldn't shoot an Albino deer because it is a rare genetic trait but I would shoot Piebald or Leucistic deer because they are inbred (like marrying your sister) and are weakening the herd, a recessive gene. Because we have eliminated the predators it is now up to the hunters to cull the herd of the old weak and genetically inferior to keep the gene pool strong.

Read more about them:

https://blog.nature.org/science/201...erstanding-a-common-animal-of-uncommon-color/

Explains the genetics:

https://www.readingeagle.com/living...cle_6d1fc3e4-e616-11ea-9326-638f46939035.html

Both are recessive traits that occur because both parents carry and pass on the gene. It doesn't have to be inbreeding but inbreeding certainly makes recessive traits more likely to be visible. Either way, the gene that causes pied's or lucy's is no more genetically inferior than the gene that causes albino's. In fact, albino's are more genetically inferior because eye sight is usually affected and the complete lack of pigment causes problems like skin cancer.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Funny that article mentions the Seneca Army Depot. I wanted to go there a year or so ago to see the deer but they had recently closed or something.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Attachments

• lead1.jpg
      lead1.jpg
      52 KB · Views: 328

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    Yes to both. I spend a lot of time in the woods and they are not as common so I would take one. My hunting JuJu has been terrible anyway so I have nothing to loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom