Sig 365 and 365XL Magazine Compatibility?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Will a "regular" P365 magazine like this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101985554?pid=212189

work (or have a baseplate changed to make it work) in a P365XL?

At some point, probably in the next couple of months, there is going to be at least one Sig P365 in my family. I'm leaning towards the XL myself, because that extra little bit of grip fits my hand a lot better. On the other hand...a small gun is supposed to be a small gun. The non-XL could work, too...I just haven't decided (and can't afford both just yet). Katie with the little paws will most likely get the nonXL.

I've got a few things in my Midway cart already, and was thinking about tossing a couple of these in to get a head start on the stockpiling of mags, while taking advantage of Midway's "It's your birthday week" discount. I know, I know, 10 round mags are dumb :rolleye12, and I certainly will be stockpiling proper mags when I can. These could work just fine for practice and IDPA though.

But...I don't know if I want to invest in them if they won't work in the XL :tap:

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    It is too short. The 12 rounders fit flush in the XL. The 12 rounders come with 2 different base plates so they can fit both guns.

I wear large sized gloves and I think the 12 rounders in my P365 are a perfect size. If you haven’t already, hold them both in your hand and see what feels right.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    It is too short. The 12 rounders fit flush in the XL. The 12 rounders come with 2 different base plates so the can fit both guns.

I wear large sized gloves and I think the 12 rounders in my P365 are a perfect size.

I figured that would be the case.

It sounds like the 12 rounder in the P365 probably makes the grip the same size as the XL. Personally, I am more comfortable with keeping the extra length attached to the grip than "losing" it when changing mags.

I'm assuming that the 12 rounder with the XL baseplate installed on it will still work with the non-XL, right?

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I figured that would be the case.

It sounds like the 12 rounder in the P365 probably makes the grip the same size as the XL. Personally, I am more comfortable with keeping the extra length attached to the grip than "losing" it when changing mags.

I'm assuming that the 12 rounder with the XL baseplate installed on it will still work with the non-XL, right?

Yes, it will fit, but it will stick out. I believe all the new 12 round mags come with both baseplates. Mine did.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I carry the non-XL, usually with the 12 round mag made for it. Very comfortable in my orangutan hands. But I like that I can keep the less bulky 10 round in a pocket as a spare, and that I have the choice of carrying with the 10 when slightly daintier is called for. Now that wearing Hawaiian shirts is illegal, printing is more of a worry. I jest ... well, kinda. The smaller frame with just the 10 does disappear a bit easier in some carry modes.

Stoveman will have practical insight with both flavors.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I know I should just buy both guns...and eventually probably will ;). I do worry about, in a pinch, grabbing mags that are close, but incompatible. That's why I keep the few Glock 19 mags I have hidden well away from all the other Glocks.

It sucks that I can't just order the 12rounders (but we all know that). It also sucks that Sig mags are so damned expensive...I'll probably end up with almost as much money invested in magazines as the gun itself :rolleye12

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I HIGHLY suggest that you shoot both before you buy.

The XL may feel a bit better, but first time I shot my P365, I put almost 200 rounds through it. It feels GREAT when shooting. There are guys on SIG Talk forum with well over 8,000 rounds through there P365s. It does NOT shoot like a sub compact.

And I also wear a large glove.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    For me the 365 is a carry gun and nothing more. I’d rather have the smallest and change mags accordingly. Always carry it with the 10 round when you need and have the 12/15 for reloading or carry with 12/15 in winter. Can’t change the grip but you can change the mag, that is why I prefer a Glock 43 to the larger 43X.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    For me the 365 is a carry gun and nothing more. I’d rather have the smallest and change mags accordingly. Always carry it with the 10 round when you need and have the 12/15 for reloading or carry with 12/15 in winter. Can’t change the grip but you can change the mag, that is why I prefer a Glock 43 to the larger 43X.

I agree Jon. I'm not carry approved yet, but I bought the 365 in anticipation of my great state approving my application. I got a good deal from Baltimore Pawn/MD Elite (not sure what they are doing with their re-branding.)

I've shot it three times so far (about 300 rounds). I like how it shoots and more importantly how I shoot it. My thought is that if I ever have to use it, it will be a close encounter, so I've been shooting it 3 to 10 yards.

I have a medium size hand. The gun is small. It's somewhat of a struggle to hit the mag release.

I can see the Sig being my summer carry with shorts and hawaiian shirts. :)
    More clothing, I will likely go with my G19X which I love.

I think Blaster is a big fan of 43X, so I may look into that as well.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    The grip modules are interchangeable. I went with the 365XL because I wanted the optics cutout and bought the 365 grip module to try in case I wanted to make it more concealable.
    365 https://osagecountyguns.com/sig-sauer-kit-365-grip-mod-blk.html
    365XL https://osagecountyguns.com/sig-sauer-kit-365xl-grip-mod-blk.html

Well...that is very interesting. I don't know if it makes my decision easier or more complicated...but it is interesting :tap:

So, one could start with the slightly shorter barrel of a regular 365 and put the bigger XL grip on it? Kind of analogous to a commander model 1911? Or, if one had small hands but wanted a little more barrel and sight radius, go the other way with a regular grip and XL slide...which is what you did?

It doesn't change the magazine conundrum...but...interesting...

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Will a "regular" P365 magazine like this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101985554?pid=212189

work (or have a baseplate changed to make it work) in a P365XL?

At some point, probably in the next couple of months, there is going to be at least one Sig P365 in my family. I'm leaning towards the XL myself, because that extra little bit of grip fits my hand a lot better. On the other hand...a small gun is supposed to be a small gun. The non-XL could work, too...I just haven't decided (and can't afford both just yet). Katie with the little paws will most likely get the nonXL.

I've got a few things in my Midway cart already, and was thinking about tossing a couple of these in to get a head start on the stockpiling of mags, while taking advantage of Midway's "It's your birthday week" discount. I know, I know, 10 round mags are dumb :rolleye12, and I certainly will be stockpiling proper mags when I can. These could work just fine for practice and IDPA though.

But...I don't know if I want to invest in them if they won't work in the XL :tap:

If you want 100% interchangeability just buy the 365 grip for $20(?) bucks. Then you can use both.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I agree Jon. I'm not carry approved yet, but I bought the 365 in anticipation of my great state approving my application. I got a good deal from Baltimore Pawn/MD Elite (not sure what they are doing with their re-branding.)

I've shot it three times so far (about 300 rounds). I like how it shoots and more importantly how I shoot it. My thought is that if I ever have to use it, it will be a close encounter, so I've been shooting it 3 to 10 yards.

I have a medium size hand. The gun is small. It's somewhat of a struggle to hit the mag release.

I can see the Sig being my summer carry with shorts and hawaiian shirts. :)
    More clothing, I will likely go with my G19X which I love.

I think Blaster is a big fan of 43X, so I may look into that as well.
    That's on the wish list too ;)

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Well...that is very interesting. I don't know if it makes my decision easier or more complicated...but it is interesting :tap:

So, one could start with the slightly shorter barrel of a regular 365 and put the bigger XL grip on it? Kind of analogous to a commander model 1911?

Did that, personally didn't like it, but might try it again in the future since I just bought myself a commander sized 1911. If you go that route and like it, don't sell your 10 round magazines in case you decide to go back to the regular grip. Also, note that you will need to install the mag release from the standard grip into the XL one going this route because it doesn't ship with one included

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013

So, one could start with the slightly shorter barrel of a regular 365 and put the bigger XL grip on it? Kind of analogous to a commander model 1911? Or, if one had small hands but wanted a little more barrel and sight radius, go the other way with a regular grip and XL slide...which is what you did?

It doesn't change the magazine conundrum...but...interesting...

Yes one can put an XL frame on the regular P365. The muzzle and slide are flush with the grip module instead of protruding out like the XL.

New 12 round magazines come with both base plates.

One can buy XL base plates for $5 a piece to convert already owned 12 round magazines. I feel that is a little too greedy of Sig to sell a piece of plastic for that much to convert a magazine they charged $40 for.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Here's a picture of my XL slide on a regular 365 frame. I bought the assembled slide assembly by itself. Was originally going to buy an XL grip frame but I really don't see the point of it aside from a beavertail which doesn't make much sense on a carry piece.

151262.jpeg

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

I think you can buy an XL grip module and swap to the larger grip.

EDIT -

Oh well, already covered. :D

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Like others have said, a lot of interchangeablity with the 365 much like the 320 but you can't run the 10 rd mags in the XL.

I got a 365 when they first came out and loved it and picked up the XL last December. If I only had to have one I would go with the XL. Still small enough to easily conceal but with the 15 rd mag you've got a smaller, slimmer Glock 19.

Both of them shoot like much larger guns.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Like others have said, a lot of interchangeablity with the 365 much like the 320 but you can't run the 10 rd mags in the XL.

I got a 365 when they first came out and loved it and picked up the XL last December. If I only had to have one I would go with the XL. Still small enough to easily conceal but with the 15 rd mag you've got a smaller, slimmer Glock 19.

Both of them shoot like much larger guns.

You and the rest of the P365 Steel Challenge gang are definitely why this gun beat out Blaster's G43X for my next carry gun (that I can't carry:o).

The XL absolutely fits me a lot better than the 365, however, the 365 definitely feels like it will work, which is amazing for such a small gun in my fat hands.

My LGS did not have the XL in stock today, so I should be able to pick up my 365 next Tuesday :innocent0 Sure, I could/should have shopped around or ordered the XL...but today is my birthday, and I wanted to buy my birthday gun today :shrug: (I know, I know...I feel like such a dumbass for not doing it last Tuesday so I could pick up my birthday gun on my birthday :banghead:...I know:sad20:.)

I am very intrigued by the idea of putting the XL grip frame on the 365. I realize that creates a mag issue, but I'm going to be stocking up on big ones anyway. Also...I just really like buying and having guns :innocent0 There is a really good chance that I will be buying an XL in the next couple of months anyway. I figure if I just don't like the 365 for shooting, it should do just fine earning its keep in a nightstand. :shrug:

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    You and the rest of the P365 Steel Challenge gang are definitely why this gun beat out Blaster's G43X for my next carry gun (that I can't carry:o).

The XL absolutely fits me a lot better than the 365, however, the 365 definitely feels like it will work, which is amazing for such a small gun in my fat hands.

My LGS did not have the XL in stock today, so I should be able to pick up my 365 next Tuesday :innocent0 Sure, I could/should have shopped around or ordered the XL...but today is my birthday, and I wanted to buy my birthday gun today :shrug: (I know, I know...I feel like such a dumbass for not doing it last Tuesday so I could pick up my birthday gun on my birthday :banghead:...I know:sad20:.)

I am very intrigued by the idea of putting the XL grip frame on the 365. I realize that creates a mag issue, but I'm going to be stocking up on big ones anyway. Also...I just really like buying and having guns :innocent0 There is a really good chance that I will be buying an XL in the next couple of months anyway. I figure if I just don't like the 365 for shooting, it should do just fine earning its keep in a nightstand. :shrug:

The 365 makes a great nightstand gun. Mine doubles as my “the dog needs to go out at 11pm” gun since I also cannot carry currently and we don’t leave the property. If you want an XL and can’t find locally when (not if) you decide to buy check Black Anchor in Denton. Mike has had an XL sitting in the case for at least a few months and I’m sure he’d ship to your local FFL if you don’t want to make the drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom