• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Bill: HB1629 - Office of the Attorney General - Firearm Crime - Study [BILL TEXT PDF] / SB1047 Cross-file of HB1629 [BILL_TEXT_PDF]
    Sponsors: Delegate Clippinger
    Hearing: House Judiciary HB1629 Hearing 3/04 at 1:00 p.m. / Senate Judicial Proceedings SB1047 Hearing 3/12 at 1:00 p.m
    Location: House Office Building, Room 100, Annapolis, MD / East Miller Senate Building, Room 2, Annapolis, MD
    Status: In the House - Referred Judiciary / In the Senate - Referred to Judicial Proceedings
    Notes:

Summary:

Requiring the Office of the Attorney General to study and identify certain information relating to certain firearm crimes committed in the State since August 1, 2015; requiring all State and local law enforcement agencies and other governmental units to provide the Office of the Attorney General with any and all information necessary to complete the study; requiring the Office of the Attorney General to report its findings and conclusions to the Governor and the General Assembly by December 1, 2020, and December 1, 2022; etc.

[BILL TEXT (pdf) IS HERE]

Last edited:

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    How are they going to pay for the study if they pass Kirwan? How are they going to pay for ANYTHING if they pass Kirwan?

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    A study? Like the one Obama started then shut down after he didn’t like the results?

Like the one Clinton had the CDC conduct during the '90s that was buried because they didn't like the results?

ziptiespec

I'd like to know more about the crimes myself, and the firearms used in them. A couple of years ago we heard an official from BCPD admit that none of the firearms taken from people arrested in the city for crime were actually owned by that person. Are any crimes being committed with homemade firearms?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I'd like to know more about the crimes myself, and the firearms used in them. A couple of years ago we heard an official from BCPD admit that none of the firearms taken from people arrested in the city for crime were actually owned by that person. Are any crimes being committed with homemade firearms?

80%’s are being found on people more often. If you check Twitter (no account necessary) on DC Polices page they release pics of recovered weapons weekly and every week there are 2-3 out of the around 30 weapons are 80% guns. While that’s not a crazy number 5 years ago that number was zero!

I don’t have any first hand account of them being used in violent crime though. I’d be interested in that number.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    These photos were posted from recoveries for the last 3 weeks. The last 3 weeks has been about 90 guns recovered. They only post pics of about 6-8 guns per post so it’s obviously not accurate but when i first became a cop we didn’t see these guns, now they are recovered weekly.

Attachments

• CAC1954F-6ED9-4257-9403-0FC3A5834DFE.jpg
      CAC1954F-6ED9-4257-9403-0FC3A5834DFE.jpg
      19.8 KB · Views: 422
    • 18ED2FB2-C8C6-42D1-B892-2D6463681DB1.jpg
      18ED2FB2-C8C6-42D1-B892-2D6463681DB1.jpg
      18 KB · Views: 421
    • 159F7FCD-3F39-4B8F-95F2-ECCB924C41F0.jpg
      159F7FCD-3F39-4B8F-95F2-ECCB924C41F0.jpg
      25.2 KB · Views: 412
    • A4D2A2FA-694F-420D-83F1-A486D63E3E4B.jpg
      A4D2A2FA-694F-420D-83F1-A486D63E3E4B.jpg
      24.7 KB · Views: 414
    • 041D9852-F530-4D09-9EA5-0FBE1D2E565C.jpg
      041D9852-F530-4D09-9EA5-0FBE1D2E565C.jpg
      17.2 KB · Views: 414

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    These photos were posted from recoveries for the last 3 weeks. The last 3 weeks has been about 90 guns recovered. They only post pics of about 6-8 guns per post so it’s obviously not accurate but when i first became a cop we didn’t see these guns, now they are recovered weekly.

Do you happen to know what a stolen Glock would go for on the "street"?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Do you happen to know what a stolen Glock would go for on the "street"?

That’s a good question Doc and i don’t really have an answer. I caught a dude with a stolen Ruger P series one time that told me he bought it for $250 and was going to sell it for $350.

I want to say for the most part they sell for essentially used gun prices, obviously no up charge for historical value. I took a 6 inch nickel python off a 16 year old kid one time who admitted he paid $500 for it.

There’s no real set chart like their is with drugs to my knowledge.

I say all that and feel confident in it but a gun recovery officer or shooting detective could better answer that. I’ve been out of that game for 3 years now.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Thanks for this!

No problem. I’m very interested in the 80s and relevant street data but I’d have to spend 2/3rds if my day doing research and reading files. I have approved access to the files but eventually someone would get curious in an audit as to why I’m accessing them. I don’t think my answer of an informal study would work well especially if somehow info slipped to the news or some chit and my name is on the computerized jacket as a reviewer with no real reason to be.

So i stick with hawk eyeing the public released info. I would kill to know what crime each gun is associated with and a 6 month update after the swab and shell casing review.

We recover around 2K firearms a year. Id also be interested in a 10 yr study from 5 years ago until 5 years from now to see what % were homemade. All out of curiosity. I’m not against 80s in fact i love them, not that i own any ;)

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA

the hell with the firearms. i'd like to know how many crimes were committed by repeat offenders, ie, could have been 100% prevented if they were kept in jail. how many by gang members. how many by illegals. how many were suicides. i think you remove all this and crime, much less firearm crime, goes WAY down. i don't want my firearms limited or taken because gov won't put and keep criminals in friggin jail.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    That’s a good question Doc and i don’t really have an answer. I caught a dude with a stolen Ruger P series one time that told me he bought it for $250 and was going to sell it for $350.

I want to say for the most part they sell for essentially used gun prices, obviously no up charge for historical value. I took a 6 inch nickel python off a 16 year old kid one time who admitted he paid $500 for it.

There’s no real set chart like their is with drugs to my knowledge.

I say all that and feel confident in it but a gun recovery officer or shooting detective could better answer that. I’ve been out of that game for 3 years now.

So it seems it may be more cost effective to buy a stolen gun than to do a P80 build. That’s what I was curious about. Thanks for the answer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom