• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I kinda checked another one off my list a month or so ago when I brought home a Colt 1917. I say "kinda" because...well...it certainly is not in a "collector" condition. Someone was nice enough to rub off all of the finish:rolleye12, which made it within my price range. :shrug: It still locks up tight and has rifling left in the barrel, so, (by golly!) I want to shoot it...in a Steel Challenge :eek:

There are plenty of cool repro leather holsters out there, by I need something more competition oriented. Somewhere in my duckduckgo-ing, I learned that it is supposed to be dimensionally close enough to a S&W N-frame. I'd rather not take a chance and buy a holster for an N-frame without being somewhat sure it would fit. If it didn't, I'd have an N-frame holster and no N-frame...which means I'd have to buy an N-frame, which I can't afford right now. :rolleye12

Does anyone out there have a Kydex holster for an N-frame and a 1917 (Colt or Smith I don't think should matter) who can tell me if it fits? (and what make the holster is)

Thanks.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Hey, silly: :needpics:

Oh, yeah :rolleyes:

colt1917.JPG

The loss of finish...:shrug: oh well. It looks like it took some rust with it, as there is evidence of some pitting :o

I just wish they had left a little bit more of the horsey intact :tap:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    If your on ARFCOM look here:
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipme...Custom-work--Fast-delivery-times/161-1019829/

He has made me a few. E-mail an ask if he has the 1917 mold.

Thank you. Having one made is definitely plan B. Ideally, I'd like to find something store bought :o, with all the angles, retention and belt affixing details figured out. I bought one of the holsters made onsite at a gun show from the guy with the pretty girl a few years ago. It fit the pistol perfectly (although, without adjustable retention...uhhh...tension, I wasn't sure how long it would hold it tight). The problem was putting it on my 2 piece competition belt. The holster had a belt loop on either side of the pistol, (like the ones pictured in the link) and that system just doesn't work well with my stiff velcro belt.

Did any of the holsters he made for you use a clip on system like the Tek-Lok?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    My father told me he used to guard German POWs with a ".45 revolver and a 12 gauge shotgun." He didn't remember if the sixgun was a Colt or a Smith, but he dang sure didn't have no Kydex holster for it!

I wonder if the scattergun was a '97 Winchester?

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    My father told me he used to guard German POWs with a ".45 revolver and a 12 gauge shotgun." He didn't remember if the sixgun was a Colt or a Smith, but he dang sure didn't have no Kydex holster for it!

I wonder if the scattergun was a '97 Winchester?

Well...ringin' steel and intimidatin' Nat-zi's are two different endeavors...naturally they call for different accoutrements :shrug:

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Is that a 100 year old revolver? I hear that people who use 100 year old revolvers in steel challenge tell many other people that they are using 100 year old revolvers in steel challenge.

100 year old revolver.

:D

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Is that a 100 year old revolver? I hear that people who use 100 year old revolvers in steel challenge tell many other people that they are using 100 year old revolvers in steel challenge.

100 year old revolver.

:D

One Hundred and ONE year old revolver!:lol2:

But at least it uses moonclips :innocent0

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Comp Tac International for N-frame works pretty well. I don't love the muzzle sticking out...but the retention is good, and it fits my belt like any other Comp Tac International :shrug: Changing the retention will also let it carry a GP-100 very nicely. I think with a little bit of trimming, I can get my Redhawk in it too (without compromising the fit for the others).

1917holster.JPG

The Ruger moon clip holders leave a little to be desired, but will work for now (and the price was right, since I already had four of them:innocent0). I do need to shoot it at paper a little bit more before I fell confident enough to go after any steel. :tap: There isn't room on my squad this weekend for another gun anyway...maybe next time.:draw:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Well, we shot the Delta Steel Challenge yesterday. The holster worked fine:innocent0
    Holstered 1917.jpg

Many of the 40 loaded moon clips I brought did not cooperate 100% :sad20:

Moon Clips loaded.jpg

I had tried a handful of them previously, with a variety of ammo, and didn't have any problems. I don't know if some of them are a little thick (they do have a bit of a bur), or held the particluar ammo I was using differently (or a combination of both), but quite a few of them caused the cylinder to bind up...a lot.:mad54:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Our first stage was the plate rack, which can be a little daunting as a warm up, and started the day feeling pretty lousy even before I started struggling with the shooting. The first couple of strings were really bad :o I had it in my mind to shoot double action (as I had been practicing), but it took a string or two to realize that yanking on the trigger as hard as I had to in order to rotate the cylinder was not conducive to any sort of accuracy.

I resigned myself to shoot everything single action, but it took a while for my already kinda foggy brain to convince my hands that that was what we were doing from now on (in spite of how we had trained).

Grip, thumb, and trigger finger hadn't fully negotiated the new plan, and we weren't hitting much at this point. The reload (that, ideally, should not have been needed :o ) went pretty well.

The last string had a much better commitment to shooting like a cowboy (admittedly, still minus a few hits), but the reload really bound it up tight.

I wish I had kept that clip separate to see if I could figure out why it bound up so much worse than the others. Maybe next time? (no, next time I'll have ground them all down and won't have that sort of problem anymore:innocent0)

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    By the second stage, we had gotten our act together a little better. The habit of reefin' on the hammer like I was mad at it had mostly been established, and I was jamming in reloads like they owed me money, too. I don't condone firearm abuse, but I was going to run her as hard as she needed until she broke (to then be fixed, of course!). I figured, by design, she was a pretty tough ol' gal anyway...and she didn't break ;)

I still missed a couple :o but our reloads got better and slightly less frequent

That first damned target...Even my Glock could (and did) miss it!:mad54:

Most stages allowed for one miss out of a "six gun" :innocent0

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I was bummed that my camera woman did not capture the very last stage we shot. :( It was five targets up close, then a short run to 5 more around a barrel. Obviously it called for one reload...and I managed to do it once with the Old Colt clean, without any extra reloads. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom