Sellier and Bellot Garand ammo, any good?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    The last time I ordered from Midway, they had S&B Garand ammo on sale ($15 a box, I think?...maybe $14) and I bought a couple of boxes to try it out. I shot some this weekend, and it seemed pretty good. I didn't have a whole lot of time, and shot offhand, so I didn't get a really good feel for accuracy. It seemed on par (and pretty much same POI) as HXP and the PPU Garand ammo I had been using. What really surprised me was when I got home...it was a LOT cleaner than the PPU or HXP...so I'm thinking about buying some more if it's on sale again.

Any body else try it? Whaddya think?

Thanks
    --Art

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    The last time I ordered from Midway, they had S&B Garand ammo on sale ($15 a box, I think?...maybe $14) and I bought a couple of boxes to try it out. I shot some this weekend, and it seemed pretty good. I didn't have a whole lot of time, and shot offhand, so I didn't get a really good feel for accuracy. It seemed on par (and pretty much same POI) as HXP and the PPU Garand ammo I had been using. What really surprised me was when I got home...it was a LOT cleaner than the PPU or HXP...so I'm thinking about buying some more if it's on sale again.

Any body else try it? Whaddya think?

Thanks
    --Art
    I bought some at Midway last year. Works fine in my M1. Here is a clip at 50 yrds.
    523ae59e57bb9f5d1f785ed0537b2046.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Took my 8mm Turkish Bubba scout rifle out yesterday.

Best five shot group ever with this old Mauser.

Four shots. Fifty yards. Bipod mounted directly to the barrel.

S&B 8mm Turkish Bubba 004.JPG

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Thanks for all the responses everyone. :thumbsup: My only previous SB experience was with shotgun shells. As I recall, they all worked fine...just smelled a litte funny.:shrug: I just wanted to check and make sure no one was going to say, "Stay away! That crap bent my op rod...plus it's corrosive!" :shrug: you never know. I guess next time it's on sale, I'll pick up some more (which, of course, means it's not going to be on sale any time soon:o)
    I bought some at Midway last year. Works fine in my M1. Here is a clip at 50 yrds.
    523ae59e57bb9f5d1f785ed0537b2046.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nothin' wrong with that!:party29:

I have some for my garand and it seems to shoot well and function fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine seemed to like it too :thumbsup:

I've shot a couple hundred rounds of S&B through my 6.8 SPC AR. I've been happy with it for plinking ammo.

:thumbsup: Plinking is about all I was looking for anyway.:D

I have one C&R handgun that only functions 100% with S&B ammo.

Have used it in some rifles too. Good stuff.
    Good to know:thumbsup:

Only negative I have had with this ammo is it seems to run pretty dirty. Shoots good but really leaves a lot of powder residue.
    That really surprises me. Do you mean as ammo in general or the Garand ammo? So far, I have only fed my Garand HXP, PPU (for M1), Federal (also for M1), and now this. I found the PPU and HXP to be a little dirtier than other commercial ammo I've used in other rifles (I've tried PPU in probably four calibers, and they all seem dirtier than expected). The Federal was very clean, and for the price, it damned well better be. I was very surprised at just how clean the SB was...now I'm wondering if I just didn't scrub hard enough :rolleyes:

Took my 8mm Turkish Bubba scout rifle out yesterday.

Best five shot group ever with this old Mauser.

Four shots. Fifty yards. Bipod mounted directly to the barrel.

View attachment 203322

Four shots? Yeah right...there's only one hole! :D
    Nice work :thumbsup:

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    my only experience is with their pistol rounds which were reliable but on par with WWB for overall dirtiness.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    When I first posted this, I had left the range with 8 rounds left in a box. I was done shooting and didn't want to burn it up just for the sake of burning it up. Eight seemed like a good round number to leave. This weekend just passed, I was sorting through some of my shooting stuff and figured I would put those rounds in a clip, so I wouldn't mistake the box for being full. Now, I have a variety of Garand food, so, when in clips, I like to orient the first and last rounds in the clip so that the headstamp is readable. I put the first seven in and made sure the one at the bottom had the "S B" clearly visible. I lined up the last one and, just before pushing it in, looked to see how the headstamp would be oriented...but there was no "S & B"...:confused:...It said, "Hornady" What?!?!?:eek: Also, all the SB brass had oxidation colors around the neck (I'm assuming from being anealed), but the Hornady one was evenly bright and shiny. :shrug:

There is no chance this got mixed up with any of my other ammo, as I am certain that this is the only "Hornady" headstamped 30-06 round that I have ever (knowingly) owned. I am also pretty sure this was the first time any of these 8 rounds had been out of the box since I got it. I checked the other 2 boxes, and they are all SB. I guess it's conceivable that someone at the AGC pulled a switcheroo without my knowledge, :tinfoil2:but that is highly highly unlikely.

Somewhere, between the SB factory, Midway, and me, it got in there. I guess I would have no way to be sure it was loaded to Garand spec, so I'm thinking I'll shoot it out of a bolt action.

Just thought it was weird and I should share :shrug:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I don't know that I'd take the chance either (well, unless the only .30-06 I owned was a Garand). That said, Hornady does make .30-06 Garand ammo as well.

But that is very odd as Hornady and Sellier and Bellot have not relationship that I can find. So there should be no way it could have gotten mixed up at the factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom