• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RwWilly

Jan 1, 2013
    Harford, Kingsville
    So last weekend my flock of 8 egg layers were free ranging, as they do everyday. Its a risk we take. Anyway, I look out @ 1030ish & see feathers. Go out and find 4 different feather colorations in 4 different areas with 100' being the spread. No meat, no carcass just good sized spread of feathers. I walked around my property and the neighbors several times throughout the day with no sign of chickens, alive or dead. Around 1630 that night 4 chickens make their way back to the coop for the night
    I had no idea what happened. Fast forward today @1100 I see a fox 10' from my slider door walking across the yard, with purpose but not running. Meanwhile the beagle is asleep on the couch. Get a call from the neighbors, they report 5 foxes meandering thru their backyard.
    I have never heard of this happening? Is it just the fox family out running around before they go their separate ways?
    Yes, we are keeping the girls locked up for a bit. Sorry no pics of the feathers.

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    I was told they will keep coming back looking for food. Keep a good eye and find ways to discourage them from returning.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I've never heard of foxes hunting together. I would suspect a den and kits getting ready to move out.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    What are the regs for hitting that fox with a crossbow?
    I know people who did this but they lived far enough from houses to hunt

JDH146

jdh146
    Dec 26, 2009
    I had a lot of chickens disappear with the same signs. It turned out to be a pair of hawks , as I witnessed it first hand . One would come from one direction and chase them toward the other coming from the opposite direction. The "striker"hit it so hard the feathers burst off in a plume . The hawk would then take off ,hence the lack of a drag trail . The loss aside,it was spectacular.
    Foxes will kill every one they can and bury them for later consumption.

mesmithwesson

Jan 8, 2013

Don't lean it against your truck (or have it inside) with a bolt in it. Standard distances from residences apply.

RwWilly

Jan 1, 2013
    Harford, Kingsville
    Crossbow, would be no issue! The problem is by the time you see them they are going away! I'm about to do the Ghillie suit in the wood pile with the 10/22.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

In Md, I believe any time a carnivore is caught marauding livestock, it is legal to kill them on the spot no matter the season or lack of permit. These are the rules play by.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I've never heard of foxes hunting together. I would suspect a den and kits getting ready to move out.

We have 2 that seem to hunt in the same area, chasing field mice in the Summer. With the warm Winter weather, it's hard to say what they are doing.

I have any number of fox walking through my yard, mostly at night time, but I have caught a few of them during daylight hours. My Chocolate lab seems to keep them honest.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Mom and dad haven't kicked the kits out yet. Few years back had a family of 6 that would work the field every evening. Really cool to watch as long as they stick to mice and rabbits.

Buckyrocks

Jan 17, 2009
    Harford county
    I'm in the same area as you and we have a hawk and an owl that frequent our property. Every now and then I find the same thing, no carcass and a pile of feathers or rabbit fur.It's usually out in the middle of a field so I get the feeling that whatever got eaten never saw it coming.Pretty sure it's a bird of prey as I've only ever seen 1 fox prowling around.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Fox and owl do a good job of culling the wild rabbit in my neighborhood. During warm months, it's not unusual in the wee hours to see three to six fox roaming in a pack. This past summer, had a huge barred owl that took a liking to my roof every night. Shined a flashlight on it a few times and you'd swear Mothman was up there as it flew away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom