• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    While most (normal) people should have been out scarfing up Black Rifles, my last two were Black Powder.

The rifle is a Thompson Center Hawken (.50) that I gave $200 for at the Lebanon show. With just a few scuffs on the stock, it is definitely the nicest of my now four TC Hawkens. The bore was bright and there was only minor surface rust inside the lock. I think I got a pretty good deal :D

The Navy Arms shotgun came from Trop Gun Shop later that day and is...interesting. Externally it is in great condition. There is a little old surface rust on the end of muzzle where there is no bluing, but the bores are bright, clean, and smooth inside and out. The stains and wear on the brass of the ramrod seem to indicate that it was indeed shot more than a couple times. When I took it apart, I found a little rust inside the locks, which was not unexpected. I also found the stock was cracked inside :sad20: I was able to pry it open and get glue all the way through it. I'm pretty confident in the repair. There is a brass oval in the stock that I'm guessing fills the void left buy a sling swivel of some sort :shrug:

The real oddity is the rear "sight." It's just a thumb screw that someone drilled a hole in, then tapped into the tang. I'm going to leave it out and eventually fill the hole with a carefully cut down screw from the inside because...well...it just isn't right for that shotgun. I have to say though, with the "patina," it actually doesn't look that out of place on there :shrug:. Looking through it, it makes a pretty good ghost ring/peep with the front bead, although I think it is too high. Yeah...it's kinda bubbafied, but it looks like it was done by a bubba who cared. I kinda respect that...but it's still coming off.;)

Attachments

• hawken and sxs.JPG
      hawken and sxs.JPG
      114.9 KB · Views: 345
    • sxs sight.JPG
      sxs sight.JPG
      51.5 KB · Views: 344

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    That shotgun site is some kinda of ingenuity. Talk about finding a great solution to a problem.

Congrats on 2 very nice purchases!

Jagzilla

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 5, 2013
    I'd shoot it as-is first and see how that sight works out. Given it's a reproduction smoke pole, how authentic must it be?

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I agree with the leave it there sentiment. As long as it is tight and stays in place... It looks like a good fix and it is a part of the history of that shotgun.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    I had a navy arms shotgun just like that one, sold it years ago. The oval in the stock was on mine too. I think it was on all of that era. Enjoy.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I wasn't expecting that much support for the sight. My two main arguments against it are: 1) it's just not right. The view over SxS barrels is supposed to have a certain look...maybe it's gun snobbery on my part. 2) Eventually I want to shoot trap with it, and I don't think the sight will allow for a wide enough field of view.

But...maybe I won't fill that hole right away. It's easy enough to put on and take off the sight. Being a thumb screw, God willing I'll always have the proper tools with me.:D

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I wasn't expecting that much support for the sight. My two main arguments against it are: 1) it's just not right. The view over SxS barrels is supposed to have a certain look...maybe it's gun snobbery on my part. 2) Eventually I want to shoot trap with it, and I don't think the sight will allow for a wide enough field of view.

But...maybe I won't fill that hole right away. It's easy enough to put on and take off the sight. Being a thumb screw, God willing I'll always have the proper tools with me.:D

Buy another thumb screw... Make a buckhorn style sight... Use it for those times when a peep style sight is not practical. Keep your tools handy. Save the sight...

And have some fun with your SxS. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom