• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Okay, this will be my final post regarding them. I've bought a few long guns from then before I knew better. I'm turning 21 in 5 days....went glock-hunting. Gonna get a G17 or G19, probably from Dan.

But...does $749 seem high for a new G26? Yeah I thought so. And no i'm not kidding, that was for a NIB Glock 26.

I wont be back.

Also they had Remington 00BK 5 packs for 8.00 plus tax. Same ones that at Bass pro are 4.50 plus tax. Just two examples. I like Hal and George...but I simply cant pay almost $200 more for a gun because I like someone.

boatbiologist

Nov 6, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    the $85 AR combo wrench was my last stop in-- about a year and a half ago.

Bought a few guns and class III there when he opened to help get him going because he is the closest gun shop to my office. Hal just doesn't give a shit. shame

Crxflippr

Foolish Mortal
    Oct 23, 2008
    Frederick
    Did you ask if that was the final price? I'm just sayin'.

DD has a good point. If you like them, give them a chance. Let them know what you are considering doing and why. If they are understanding, (whether they adjust the price or not) you know you were right to like them, but depending on the price may want to shop elsewhere. If they get pissy with you, then you know you were wrong and should be doing business with someone else anyway.

Crxflippr

Foolish Mortal
    Oct 23, 2008
    Frederick
    Do you guys pay sticker price for everything you buy? I negotiate on everything.

I've negotiated on all but one of my purchases. That one was bought through a friend of family and the price quoted was obviously above and beyond anything else I had found.

donmega334

Mar 5, 2009
    Whosville
    My first 3 guns were purchased at the Armory, their prices are a bit high but they have always been open to negotiation and I have never paid their initial asking price.

Dealt with George all 3 times who was very helpful and patient but you do have to be procative in getting their attention and asking to be helped. Ive never seen them volunteer to help anyone. That was off-putting at first but after I got over that, they're a great shop to deal with.

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    I have stopped in at the Armory prior to each of my last several purchases, but every time I went there they came off as arrogant and gave me the impression that I wasn't worth their time. This was on top of their insanely high prices.

I would rather support someone who is local, even if it does cost me a little more, but their attitude and their prices keep me from spending any money with them. Each time I was able to get better service and much better prices somewhere else.

I won't even go in there anymore just to browse. When I do browse somewhere else that is usually where I end up spending my money. Too bad because he does have some nice things. Oh well...

Just my .02 cents.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Guys I don't want to discourage anybody from engaging in a good conversation, and this topic comes up from time to time.

Before adding to this thread, I'd encourage you to check out just a few of the previous threads, and I think you'll gain some good insight and find that The Armory will take care of you, just in a um....more unique way than you might be used to. ;)

These are just a few threads I found quickly; searching for "Armory" is pretty broad so I searched out the owner's name, "Hal"

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=6492&highlight=hal

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=11632&highlight=hal

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=13714&highlight=hal

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=8110&highlight=hal

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    Spot,

In an attempt to be fair and impartial, I read through all of the threads you posted, and I have to say my thoughts on the Armory have not changed.

I'm not saying that anyone is a bad guy, and as I do not personally know any of the individuals who work there I do not have any opinion of them as individuals, good or bad. I simply prefer to spend my money elsewhere.

I don't need anyone to kiss my ass or suck up to me when I am spending money, in fact that is as big a deal breaker to me as arrogance and weak customer service. I do however appreciate professionalism and courtesy. Those at the Armory may in fact be professional and courteous to many of their customers, it's just that I have not experienced that during any of my visits.

I accept that one instance may not give a true indication of a store or a person, and that is why I attempted to visit them on several occasions. Each time I came in with a specific item in mind so I wasn't trying to window shop and see everything they had. After the third time though, I was done.

Along with their very high prices, those experiences give me enough reasons to shop elsewhere. Like I said before, I would rather spend my money locally, but at least in this case I will have to go somewhere else.

For everyone else who has had good experience with the Armory, I can only say more power to you. It just didn't work out for me. While I'm sure they would like to get my money instead of having me spend it elsewhere, I don't think losing my business is going to hurt their bottom line. It is too bad though as they do seem to have a great selection.

Again, just my .02 cents.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    No, I know I could have wiggled it down, but I'm quite certain I couldn't have gotten him to take $150 off, which is what I'm going to pay at Dan's, which is where i'm going. I didn't mean to just start a thread to tear into someones store...I was just mad.

The prices are also secondary to the fact that if youre young like me and you go in there people assume you aren't going to spend money and they don't help you until you ask, 20 times, and thats after they help people that came in after you. Customer service is not their strong point, nor is their prices.

Sorry. I just wanted to vent :-) Shame, Dan's is a drive, but the one time I went in there just to check it out, I was very impressed with their selection, and their service and attitude was very helpful and professional even though they knew I wasn't buying that day. But it paid off, because I'm buying wednesday, and from now on. +1

I'm not saying NEVER Go to the armory....
    Nowhere I've been touches them in Class III, and their selection of EVERYTHING (except sporting shotguns, but i'm not looking for one) is great. And Hal and George are both VERY knowledgeable.
    I just know that my experience and the experience of many others have been unpleasant. Yours may vary.

wyomingboy

Jan 26, 2009
    As a consumer I let price, service, availability and knowledge be my guide. If certain stores don't measure up, I go somewhere else. The market will decide the fate of the business. That's why a lot of shops come and go so often. Some shops that should have failed long ago only remain open because they have no competition in the immediate area and because of a customer base having little knowledge or the gumption to drive 30 miles.

As to attitude.... given the fact that most customers are tire kickers who waste your time, need to handle every gun in the store, know everything, have done everything, have an endless supply of war stories and can quote 100 internet prices, I can appreciate the fact that many shop owners and employees can become testy or grumpy.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I go out of my way to drive the 50 miles to give The Armory my business. I think they are one of the best shops in MD, and once you get to know the staff they are great people who will go out of their way to help you any way they can. I will say that if you like being coddled, then it probably isn't the shop for you.

As a consumer I let price, service, availability and knowledge be my guide. If certain stores don't measure up, I go somewhere else. The market will decide the fate of the business. That's why a lot of shops come and go so often. Some shops that should have failed long ago only remain open because they have no competition in the immediate area and because of a customer base having little knowledge or the gumption to drive 30 miles.

As to attitude.... given the fact that most customers are tire kickers who waste your time, need to handle every gun in the store, know everything, have done everything, have an endless supply of war stories and can quote 100 internet prices, I can appreciate the fact that many shop owners and employees can become testy or grumpy.

I'm sure this will never happen again - but I have to agree with this post.

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    I go out of my way to drive the 50 miles to give The Armory my business. I think they are one of the best shops in MD, and once you get to know the staff they are great people who will go out of their way to help you any way they can. I will say that if you like being coddled, then it probably isn't the shop for you.

I don't need coddled but sure as hell don't need bent over either...F them.

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    Based on the fact that the shop is in Annapolis, the rent is most likely insane, and that the household income for the area is higher, I can understand Hal's prices. Add the fact that for now it is a seller's market for guns and ammo, I can see why the Armory charges a high dolllar. But as stated before, you can haggle a little bit on the prices.

I been in a couple of times and noticed that there is a lot of lookers walking in and a few fools asking the usual dumb questions. George is more friendly then Hal, but they both will ask you if you want help. They aren't going to schmooze you like a car dealer.

Overall, I rate their customer service as fair.

I look at this way, if you walk in with an attitude, your going to get an attitude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom